Transitioning and Extensions, Wigs, Weaves, Braids, Etc.

cocoberry10

As some of y’all know, I’m transitioning (or at least trying). And I’m trying not to use heat or a BC on my hair to achieve this goal (in case I decide to go back to relaxers, but I really doubt I will. Did any of you use wigs, weaves, braids or other extensions, and if so, how did you like this? I’m concerned that between the two textures, adding pieces or weaves will aggravate it. Please let me know! Thanks!

atlien11

I wasnt transitioning but i went almost 9 months without a relaxer. I wore a lacefront and just braided my hair underneath. Every 10 days i would take my braids down, wash, condition, and braid it back up. Let me tell you IT GREW LIKE CRAZY.

OK Downside: It was VERY hard to comb after about 6 months. It was to the point that if i didnt pick one texture or the other, the new growth would cause more harm then good. I used Ole reliable (Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose conditioner) and it helped the tangles, but every week it got worse and worse. Long story short i finally got my phyto relaxer and did my "almost virgin" touch up due to the new growth.

So it worked for awhile but it did get to point where you just need to cut it. I am still giving my hair a break so i lightly braided it back up to protect it and keep it growing.

Last edited:

LovedAlot

I am currently transitioning and have about 2 inches of relaxed hair left. I only wear braids. All I can say is that my has grown so quickly with this method. What I like about braids is the aspect of not having to do much to my hair for three to four weeks at a time. I wash once a week and deep condition in braids sometimes and I use my sulfur mix every other day. I have really fine hair so I moisturize every two to three days and seal with olive oil. I can't believe how fast my hair is growing! I don't think the two different textures of hair will hurt as long as you are taking care of your hair. I think that really is the key. Also with braids, make sure they are not too tight.

cocoberry10

Thanks for this info. Your hair always looks great!
I wasnt transitioning but i went almost 9 months without a relaxer. I wore a lacefront and just braided my hair underneath. Every 10 days i would take my braids down, wash, condition, and braid it back up. Let me tell you IT GREW LIKE CRAZY.

OK Downside: It was VERY hard to comb after about 6 months. It was to the point that if i didnt pick one texture or the other, the new growth would cause more harm then good. I used Ole reliable (Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose conditioner) and it helped the tangles, but every week it got worse and worse. Long story short i finally got my phyto relaxer and did my "almost virgin" touch up due to the new growth.

So it worked for awhile but it did get to point where you just need to cut it. I am still giving my hair a break so i lightly braided it back up to protect it and keep it growing.

cocoberry10

I am currently transitioning and have about 2 inches of relaxed hair left. I only wear braids. All I can say is that my has grown so quickly with this method. What I like about braids is the aspect of not having to do much to my hair for three to four weeks at a time. I wash once a week and deep condition in braids sometimes and I use my sulfur mix every other day. I have really fine hair so I moisturize every two to three days and seal with olive oil. I can't believe how fast my hair is growing! I don't think the two different textures of hair will hurt as long as you are taking care of your hair. I think that really is the key. Also with braids, make sure they are not too tight.

I am considering using braids as well. I think my hair grows pretty fast under them, but I also experience a fair amount of breakage. Did you trim each time you removed the braids? Thanks!

bluediamond0829

im glad there are some responses on this subject...

ive used braids but wasnt trying to transition in the past and got a good amount of growth from them....

i have tree braids in right now but i will probably be taking them out soon i really dont like the style and its too too much hair...so im looking to get individuals or either some kinky twist(for the 1st time)...and keep them in for awhile...

MzLady78

I did this for 2 years and it worked well.

I couldn't bring myself to rock the twa so at first I used wigs. When it got long enough, I switched to braids and weaves.

It grew out very nicely and probably would have been even better had I known how to really take care of my hair underneath (this was pre-LHCF).

ETA: I'm seriously thinking about doing this again.

Last edited:

LovedAlot

Actually I don't trim everytime I take them out. I think my ends stay looking good because I have the braids braided all the way down so my ends stay protected. I wear cornrows. Three rows to be exact. I take my braids down section by section and detangle every braid. I then put my hair into four ponytails and do everything from start to finish in the ponytails. I use a clarifying shampoo, then a moisturizing one. Then I either do a protein treatment or a henna treatment. After that I use a moisturinzing conditioner. After all that (finally) I still have the four ponytails. I use giovanni direct as my leave in and I use Ic olive oil serum in each section. I braid it back up and put a barrette on the end and let it airdry. Doing this has given me so much improvement. I wish I had pictures to show you. It seems like alot to do, but I got use to it and it is definately worth it. Braids have been a godsend for my hair.:yep:

Last edited:

cocoberry10

I did this for 2 years and it worked well.

I couldn't bring myself to rock the twa so at first I used wigs. When it got long enough, I switched to braids and weaves.

It grew out very nicely and probably would have been even better had I known how to really take care of my hair underneath (this was pre-LHCF).

ETA: I'm seriously thinking about doing this again.

Thanks. Are you natural or transitioning now? Also, did you ever wear your own real hair down, or did you keep it in braids the whole time?

cocoberry10

Actually I don't trim everytime I take them out. I think my ends stay looking good because I have the braids braided all the way down so my ends stay protected. I wear cornrows. Three rows to be exact. I take my braids down section by section and detangle every braid. I then put my hair into four ponytails and do everything from start to finish in the ponytails. I use a clarifying shampoo, then a moisturizing one. Then I either do a protein treatment or a henna treatment. After that I use a moisturinzing conditioner. After all that (finally) I still have the four ponytails. I use giovanni direct as my leave in and I use Ic olive oil serum in each section. I braid it back up and put a barrette on the end and let it airdry. Doing this has given me so much improvement. I wish I had pictures to show you. It seems like alot to do, but I got use to it and it is definately worth it. Braids have been a godsend for my hair.:yep:

I gotcha! I'll try to trim little by little. Did you find that it was hard to wash when you took braids out before putting new ones in?

atlien11

Thanks Cocoberry.

I only trimmed twice. Because of the new growth it was hard to tell what was even, and what wasnt especially since the hair on all sides doesnt grow at the same rate. So in order to avoid a lop-sided trim, i didnt trim until i got my relaxer about two weeks ago. :yep:

cocoberry10

Thanks Cocoberry.

I only trimmed twice. Because of the new growth it was hard to tell what was even, and what wasnt especially since the hair on all sides doesnt grow at the same rate. So in order to avoid a lop-sided trim, i didnt trim until i got my relaxer about two weeks ago. :yep:

Thanks for the info. Bumping!

glamazon386

A lot of people use braids and weaves as a way to keep their hair looking nice while transitioning. As long as the style isn't causing any damage to your hair, it's fine.

glamazon386

Did you use this to transition? Your hair looks great!

Thanks! Well yeah but I wore them when I was relaxed most of the time too. I didn't wear them for the sole purpose of transitioning. That was my usual hairstyle so it was nothing new to me. I only was relaxing maybe 3-4 times a year anyway. I didn't really officially decide to go natural and then start transitioning. I was just doing my usual relaxer stretch and one day I just decided to chop my hair off.

cocoberry10

Thanks! Well yeah but I wore them when I was relaxed most of the time too. I didn't wear them for the sole purpose of transitioning. That was my usual hairstyle so it was nothing new to me. I only was relaxing maybe 3-4 times a year anyway. I didn't really officially decide to go natural and then start transitioning. I was just doing my usual relaxer stretch and one day I just decided to chop my hair off.

Thanks for the info! I'm avoiding the BC as long as I can, but I think the time is going to come where I'll be forced to go this route! I hope my hair can look as fly as yours!

glamazon386

Thanks for the info! I'm avoiding the BC as long as I can, but I think the time is going to come where I'll be forced to go this route! I hope my hair can look as fly as yours!

Aww thanks! How are you wearing your hair now? And what style are you thinking about trying?

BambiEyes

I have been doing this for the last 3months. However, i'm not really transiting, just texlating for the first time. It really does grow your hair out a lot when using any type of weave. You must take care of your hair under

cocoberry10

Aww thanks! How are you wearing your hair now? And what style are you thinking about trying?

I'm probably going to do braids and maybe a sew in weave. I've never done a sew in before. I am also going to try a wig. I'm going to try it all:lol: I definitely don't want the braids to be too small or too tight:ohwell:

Nonie

I transitioned in single extension braids, Cocoberry. Since I do them myself and touch them up one at a time as needed, I could keep the braids in for a year. Every now and then when touching up a braid, I'd trim off about 1/4 inch before braiding it back up. I would start from the back and work towards the front. I didn't do this in one sitting since I only redid my braids whenever time allowed (Like when watching TV). I'd know which ones had not been trimmed as they'd be the loose ones (due to new growth) that I had not yet redone. This way I'd be sure to trim my whole head. By the end of the year, I had no more relaxed hair left, and about 5 inches of natural hair.

cocoberry10

I transitioned in single extension braids, Cocoberry. Since I do them myself and touch them up one at a time as needed, I could keep the braids in for a year. Every now and then when touching up a braid, I'd trim off about 1/4 inch before braiding it back up. I would start from the back and work towards the front. I didn't do this in one sitting since I only redid my braids whenever time allowed (Like when watching TV). I'd know which ones had not been trimmed as they'd be the loose ones (due to new growth) that I had not yet redone. This way I'd be sure to trim my whole head. By the end of the year, I had no more relaxed hair left, and about 5 inches of natural hair.

Thanks for the info, I will definitely use this as one method!