Braids, Weaves and Steam Treatments

LaNecia

Hey ladies!

I've been wondering how to keep my hair moisturized under my weaves/braids while on the HYH Challenge. I've done some poo and conditioning treatments but it's not quite getting the job done for me. My hair is still suffering from being on the dry side (maybe it's just spoiled from the daily CO washing?). I only leave my weaves up a maximum of three weeks, since I do them myself.

Has anyone done steam treatments on their hair while in braids/weaves? If so, how did it work for you? If so, what type of conditioner did you use and did you find it beneficial to keep your hair moisturized while protected?

I'm thinking about trying this tomorrow and wanted to get some feed back from others.

TIA!!

LaNecia aka VWVixxen

CurliDiva

Hi V,

I am putting in a sew-in this weekend, and would be interested in learning more!

What is a steam treatment? How would it compared to a deep conditioner with a heat bonnet?

How do you create (or maintain) the steam?

TIA

WomanlyCharm

Hey VW! :p

Some on the board have started using the steam room at the gym for our hair/health. I have to admit, my hair does seem to retain moisture better, the breakage problem I've been battling for the past month seems to be in check.

I just throw a deep conditioner, a plastic cap (sometimes) and stay in for 20 - 30 minutes. Then I rinse and if I need to, do the whole shampoo thing. My hair seems to like it.

Give it a try! :grin:

LaNecia

Hi Curli,

In my case, I have a hair steamer that I bought a few years ago. I guess another way to do it would be to use a hot towel wrapped around the hair? I use that method sometimes when I don't feel like sitting under the steamer, it's not as good a treatment though. I wonder if the steam (using the towel method) would penetrate the braids enough to be beneficial?

To me the two treatments steam vs. heated bonnet are very different in their results. My hair definitely feels better conditioned when using the bonnet but I like the moisturizing effects of the steamer.

CurliDiva

VWVixxen said:
Hi Curli,

In my case, I have a hair steamer that I bought a few years ago. I guess another way to do it would be to use a hot towel wrapped around the hair? I use that method sometimes when I don't feel like sitting under the steamer, it's not as good a treatment though. I wonder if the steam (using the towel method) would penetrate the braids enough to be beneficial?

To me the two treatments steam vs. heated bonnet are very different in their results. My hair definitely feels better conditioned when using the bonnet but I like the moisturizing effects of the steamer.

Thanks for the info!

kandegirl

I wish I had a steamer.:) It should be helpful.

But I don't. Yet!! But to keep my hair moisturized I recommend using any or all of these products on your hair: pure jojoba oil, African Royale Braid spray,
Kemi Oyl, diluted Infusium (protien in hair helps retain moisture), and Fantasia IC Leave-IN moisturizer. These have helped me and others peoples weaves I've done.

sareca

:sekret: *Raises hand*

I need more than Robin's C&G Method to keep my hair moisturized, including steam treatments (w/ a microwaved towel, but I just brought a steamer from the UK), conditioning my hair w/ leave-in bi-weekly, and pre-poo'g with oil.

I just updated my Regimen with my newest tactic.

http://public.fotki.com/Serica/hair-to-stay/regime/000_0955.html

Basically I try to keep tabs on my hair just like I would if it weren't braided. When I'm retwisting I check to see if it's mushy or hard and I add the appropriate conditioner. If it's mushy I step up the Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor. If it's hard I add Aveda to my conditioner mix.

I took a few twists down a couple days ago and my hair was doing awesome! I haven't needed to make an changes yet.

Last edited:

asiaticlily

When wearing braids & weaves, I keep the braids moisturized by spraying them daily with Braid Spray & Infusium mixed with a little water. I also would spray Surge 14 mixed w/castor oil on my scalp.

Last edited:

LaNecia

Thanks ladies! My hair when it is loose, does not like the Infusium 23 but maybe when it's up it would be ok?

@ Sareca, my hair needs more than that too. That's one major reason why I won't commit to long term braids, I always lose too much hair and suffer severe dryness. If it's only a a week or two (3 if I'm really busy) I can keep it fairly in check. I'll check out your fotki and see what you have going on.

I guess I should take a similar approach and treat it as if it were down, I moisturize and strengthen regularly, I can still do the same, only modified. Now I have t go read my journal to see what schedule I'd been keeping!

Thanks for the replies!

sareca

I break a lot of her rules. She doesn't say anything about conditioning your braids :huh: My hair needs conditioner. Not using conditioner is how I got here in the first place. She says specifically don't use anything with too much oil. Hi! :wave: I saturate my braids with amla at least once/wk AND add oil to my poo, conditioner, and braid spray. My method may seem like overkill, but nothing short of it works for me.

Since I started regularly conditioning and pre-poo'g I've had NO dryness problems at all. I have had a lot of buildup, but she has a video demo of how to handle that and it works perfectly.

Last edited: