:. L0NG TERM TRANSITIONERS THREAD .:

Bmbshellle

Hey all !

I wanted to create a thread for Long Term Transitioners like myself who aren`t going to big chop or who are not ready to big chop. Ever since I started using Aphogee Protein Treatments, my relaxed hair/ ends are in really good shape. No breakage or damage. So I`ve decided to keep retaining my length [Mid Back] and trim off gradually. I started long term transitioning 6 months ago after my last weave [ Protective Style ] and I`ve been experimenting w.natural no heat styles for 6 months now as well. I straighten once a month just for length check. My main transitioning style I`m using is a Curly Braid-Out. I posted my particular method here :

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=571445

My Favorite Products are Anything by Aphogee. Literally has saved my hair on many occasions. I love Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel, Africa's Best Herbal Oil, and Motions Sculpt & Twist Molding Cream for my edges. I co-wash and don't shampoo unless I`m planning to straighten my hair. I usually use something inexpensive like Suave for co-washing, and Creme of Nature's Moisturizing De-tangling Shampoo.

My Youtube Channel : www.youtube.com/Bombshellle

As long as my hair is healthy, and I`m retaining my length I can deal w. the two different textures. It can be done! Are there any others long term transitioning ?

If so, reply w.

• How long and why you are or plan to Long Term Transition
  • Your favorite protective styles/products that help you maintain the two different textures.
  • If you do video tutorials on the styles, include your youtube channel as well to help others!

Happy Transitioning !

Last edited:

ezina

How long and why you are or plan to Long Term Transition:
I want to transition for a minimum of 36 months. I've always told myself that I will reach my goal as a relaxed head first and then as a natural, but one day my friend told me that that plan made little sense. If my end goal is to be WL natural, then I should start now. Also, I figured since I'm young and relatively responsibility-free, I better start now!

Your favorite protective styles/products that help you maintain the two different textures.
Bunning is not my fave protective style because I'm so bad at it, but it is the most convenient. I just hope to learn how to make those cute thick buns I see here on some of the LHCF ladies. As for products to maintain my two textures, I'm sticking with oils and lots of conditioner. I'll adjust as I go on.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

There is already a LTT thread fyi. But I am glad you started another one since that one is too long.

Will come back and post specifics.

MissDarcei

Thanks for the post!

How long and why you are or plan to Long Term Transition?

I am planning to transition for at least 2 years. I hope I can get away with it as I am only texturized and not relaxed. I am transitioning to natural because I am curious about my natural texture and how it acts/feels.

Your favorite protective styles/products that help you maintain the two different textures.

I like to use Argan Oil and the Live Clean line to keep my hair moisturized. I also use the Aphogee Two Step Protein Treatment to keep my hair strong. My favorite styles are high buns and two strand twists/twistouts

If you do video tutorials on the styles, include your youtube channel as well to help others!

I am only 2 1/2 weeks post but I will post videos up soon on www.youtube.com/missdarcei. And I already have hair tutorials up.

ogmistress

How long and why you are or plan to Long Term Transition

I have been transitioning for 1 year, 1 month and 5 days. My original plan was to transition for 2 years but I might push it to 3 years because I want length when I decided to cut off me relaxed ends.

For the bulk of my transition, I really had no idea what I was doing with my hair, i was still in college so I just wanted it to look decent :look:. My decent sometimes consisted of my hair being pulled back (not neatly) and a hat placed on my head. I got away with this bc my school was in Erie, PA. (There was lots and lots of snow)

Now that I have more time I do two strand twist and practicing my conrowing skills.

Sorry to say that I can't help much with the products cause I am still trying to find the right conditioner. But Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a staple for me :grin:.

Last edited:

alive

Im already natural, but I transitioned for about 3 months

I wasn't patient enough to figure out how to manage the two textures so I just combed through my hair with clippers and the rest is history :lol:

Good luck everyone!!

coyacoy

I have completed my transition; but I'm happy to share my experience in hopes of assisting others with their transition to the wonderful world of natural :grin:
  • How long and why you are or plan to Long Term Transition
I transitioned for two years under wigs wearing protective styles such as braids and twists. i transitioned from aug 2009 and cut the last of my relaxed ends off in January 2011.
  • Your favorite protective styles/products that help you maintain the two different textures.
Since I PS'd under LF wigs, I really didn't style my natural hair, so as mentioned above, I braided and twisted my hair under the wigs. I shampooed and DC'd weekly and made sure to moisture and seal a few times a week. many nights i would baggy to keep it moisturized longer.

Aubrey organics and Giovanni were great transitioning products for me. they both helped me avoid ever having breakage at the line of demarcation.
  • If you do video tutorials on the styles, include your youtube channel as well to help others!
HTH!:yep:

Dee-Licious

How long and why you are or plan to Long Term Transition?
I plan to transition for as long as it takes to be BSL while trimming off ends until all relaxed ends are gone. I've never seen my natural texture, and I want the increased thickness. I will be straight-hair natural.

WILLIE MORROW COMB ATTACHMENT!!! That thing has darn near turned my blowdryer into a flatiron. The best thing to help me maintain two textures and keep knots away is to at least straighten it with my blowdryer.

If you do video tutorials on the styles, include your youtube channel as well to help others!
Nada, but I enjoy watching and learning from

Last edited:
Cool! A new thread to use is needed. Thanks!

How long and why you are or plan to Long Term Transition
At least two years but no more than three years (I think, :lachen:). So far, I'm well into my 16th month! I simply do not want to big chop. I like my long hair and it'll be easier for me to have different styles at my disposal.

Buns and wigs have helped me a lot. For some reason, braid outs and twist outs haven't worked well for me. Maybe it's because of the length of my hair (bsl). Shrinkage is crazy!!! Also, I'm stuck on stupid for Oyin Handmade products and natural oils (avocado, coconut, and EVOO). I keep it simple

lolascurls

Great to have a new thread...the other one is too dauntingly long!

* How long and why you are or plan to Long Term Transition

I am currently 22 months post-relaxer. Aiming for minimum 2 years but max is 3 years. I basically want as much length as possible, so why chop? I'm now WL (grazing HL in back layers) so I'm holding on! I was texlaxed for 1 year before I started transitioning. Last texlax in Nov 2009.

* Your favorite protective styles/products that help you maintain the two different textures.
My main styles for the first 12 months were buns and wigs. Then I went for Kinky twists for 4-5 months, threaded hair for 1 months, long single braids for another month and now I'm on two-strand twisted styles with my own hair! I bun these of course!
Products-wise: mainly water, aloe vera and infusium23 spray mix. Recently subbed out the infusium for honey (protein overload). I like light to medium protein conditioners (ORS Replenishing, Aphogee 2 min Keratin, Joico K Pak reconstructor and now Aubrey Organics GPB). I find by ensuring I use protein, my demarcation line stays strong and my hair can keep growing longer. I am using Cantu shea butter leave-in for my twists mainly. I have recently bought the US version of HE LTR and I'm loving it! So this is also a good leave-in for me. Experimenting with some more natural products like MyHoneyChild and Hairveda but finding I like mixing my own products now!

* If you do video tutorials on the styles, include your youtube channel as well to help others!
My youtube channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/lolascrib?feature=mhee