• Just tired of relaxer

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sweet1977

Good Morning Everyone,
I am currently 7 weeks post and am really thinking about transitioning. I have had a relaxer since I was a teenager and don't even know what my natural hair is like. What made you decide to transition and what steps should I take?

Thanks Much!!

I'm 8 weeks post and am transitioning. I just want healthier, stronger hair. I've been seeing so many natural heads and even their straight styles look as good as relaxed hair. My hair has just had it with relaxers... thin, flat, fragile and hard to get and keep volume. When I was getting new growth and preparing for touch ups, I always liked the pattern of my new growth and wondered what it would be like - so now I'm on the road to finding out.

One step I would recommend is get hooked on to the Transitioners thread and read every post. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=312457 It's long... but so worth it. In these threads you'll meet people who are transitioning for the 1st, 2nd and even 3rd time. You'll learn about products that will help and learn from other people's mistakes that you can avoid yourself. You'll also find links to fotki's and albums that track progress so you can actually see what you're getting into. Most of all you'll get support to keep going when you feel like you can't.

Last edited:
I'm 16 weeks post and decided to transition last week. I don't have a real reason that made me want to transition. It just hit me a few days ago and I told myself I'm not relaxing anymore.

Searching the forum and checking out fotkis is probably a good way to start. I've also been looking at a lot of natural blogs like maneandchic. Best Wishes with your transition.

I'm 8 weeks post and am transitioning. I just want healthier, stronger hair. I've been seeing so many natural heads and even their straight styles look as good as relaxed hair. My hair has just had it with relaxers... thin, flat, fragile and hard to get and keep volume. When I was getting new growth and preparing for touch ups, I always liked the pattern of my new growth and wondered what it would be like - so now I'm on the road to finding out.

One step I would recommend is get hooked on to the Transitioners thread and read every post. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=312457 It's long... but so worth it. In these threads you'll meet people who are transitioning for the 1st, 2nd and even 3rd time. You'll learn about products that will help and learn from other people's mistakes that you can avoid yourself. You'll also find links to fotki's and albums that track progress so you can actually see what you're getting into. Most of all you'll get support to keep going when you feel like you can't.

Thanks for the response. I will definitely check out the thread. I am having the same problems, hair just limp to me and it wasn't always like this.

I'm 16 weeks post and decided to transition last week. I don't have a real reason that made me want to transition. It just hit me a few days ago and I told myself I'm not relaxing anymore.

Searching the forum and checking out fotkis is probably a good way to start. I've also been looking at a lot of natural blogs like maneandchic. Best Wishes with your transition.

Thanks, I am going to give it a try. I just HOPE I don't give up, I know how frustrated I can get.

I started getting dominican blowouts, and then I realized they were getting my hair relaxer straight for sooo much cheaper...then I started becoming intrigued by the thought of seeing my natural hair. I transitioned for a year, and 8-9 months of it I used blowouts to manage. It wasn't till the last 3-4 months that I started doing other things.

I transitioned in 2004 because my hair was breaking and I was fed up with the relaxing process. I'm not a fan of long transitions, however, you have to find the approach that works best for you and your lifestyle.

I grew out my perm for about 3 mos, then BC'd. I immediately got braids and wore my hair in kinky-twists or braids for about a year. Got bored with that, so I ditched the braids and starting wearing a 'fro. When I sleep, my hair flattens and morphs into this...I dunno what so in order to "shape it", I co-wash daily. Following it up with some aloe vera gel and castor oil. One or two setbacks later, I'm still loving my natural hair.

If you choose a longer transition, try textured styles like two strand twists, bantu knots or roller sets. There are gobs of YouTube video on these styles.

HTH!

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am like 50/50 right now. I want to go natural, but don't know if I can handle it.

I started getting dominican blowouts, and then I realized they were getting my hair relaxer straight for sooo much cheaper...then I started becoming intrigued by the thought of seeing my natural hair. I transitioned for a year, and 8-9 months of it I used blowouts to manage. It wasn't till the last 3-4 months that I started doing other things.

Did the bowouts mess up your natural curl pattern any?? I wanted to try this but I know some say that using heat may damage your new growth which will set u back.

I am a transitioner and I am 7 weeks post today!!!! :yep: I decided to go natural about 3 weeks after I got my relaxer!!! I am excited for my journey but I just have to be patient!!I plan to transition for maybe 1 or 2 yrs(depending on how much NG I have)

I am a transitioner and I am 7 weeks post today!!!! :yep: I decided to go natural about 3 weeks after I got my relaxer!!! I am excited for my journey but I just have to be patient!!I plan to transition for maybe 1 or 2 yrs(depending on how much NG I have)

Cool, you are where I am. I am going to wash my hair this evening and am a little nervous about how my new growth is going to act, but gotta do it. Good luck to you.

I'm 14 weeks post and I still have problems with my transition. It's still all good though because I'm still learning! I would suggest that you determine the real reason as to why you want to transition. This makes a world of difference, IMO. There are some that do it because they see others doing it and want to be included in that category. There's nothing wrong with that but I think that accepting your natural hair should be a rpocess that you learn and grow from. It's not just a physical journey but and emotional one.

That's how I determined why I wanted to transition. I see others that have these beautiful puffs and afros and although I love straight hair...I want to have my hair in it's natural state, it's what God gave me. Anyways, I can always buy some weave and wear it down to give myself a break anytime..LOL

Good luck with your decision.

Today, I am exactly 12 weeks post relaxer. My main reason for transitioning like most women is that I am simply tired of flat, lifeless hair and the only reason I can get any volume with this relaxer is by setting my hair on lots of rollers. Adding lots of curls with the curling iron, forget it they always drop and I don't like putting all that spritz and hair spray in my hair. Braidouts don't work unless it's damn near natural. Just seems like I have to do so much to it to get it the way I want. I was looking at my old prom pics and saw my hair blown out from a curl and it was so full of volume! I remember all my cousin did was blow dry it, press and curl it with a few curls. I also remember when I had my hair chopped off at the age of 14 to about half an inch and within six months it grew so long, thick and healthy! I truly believe I can gain the thickness I want with natural hair.

I'm wearing braids (I do them myself) and plan to switch back and forth with a kinky phony pony to give it a rest and condition more. I'm planning on doing the big chop either in May or July, depending on how much new growth I have, because I want to at least have enough to braid when I get tired of wearing a twa.

I've been researching all of the info. I can for women with type 4 hair like mine. That's what I'd suggest and make a list of natural products to try. Read reviews on products as well. Oh, and have some goals in mind.

HTH

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am like 50/50 right now. I want to go natural, but don't know if I can handle it.

I'm right there on the fence w/ you, Lady. I just don't like the process of getting a relaxer, and it's so expensive, and I don't have a stylist I trust; and I like my natural textures, but it take too much time to do anything other than a wet bun; and what will I do with all natural hair? I like my hair straight but don't like to flat iron (too much work and takes too long; I'm almost 7 months post but I still feel like relaxing.....

Thanks for the responses everyone, really appreciate it. I think I am going to TRY to transition, but if I feel I can't hang, will just go ahead and get a touchup; time will tell.

I had just had a relaxer and when I was washing out the relaxer and shampooing I was loosing chunks of hair I was not alarmed cuz this happens all the time and my hair was not losing length but then later on that evening I was thinking about all the shed broken hair I loosing every relaxer, on top of the ordinary breakage I get and all the money I speand on reconstructors protein treatments, conditioners, DCs, leave-ins oil, and whatever other snake oil and it just seemed to me that I was periodically damaging my hair (relaxing) only to lose my mind and my money on ways to repair the damage. Plus I had no idea what my natural hair was like.
I am soo happy about my desicion I have had momnets where I want to relax because the transition is getting difficult about 3 months and the NG is getting thicker and more rebellious. Apart from one part on my hair that I think is scab hair I can tell you my natural hair is far better than my relaxed hair and once it's grown out I will have soooooo many styling options.

I decided to relax because I only get one to three per year, and my natural hair texture isn't very different from the relaxed, since it's mild and only left on their for a few seconds. I have noticed that my hair hasn't been long since I got my relaxer, so that prompted my decision as well. Additionally, one day I just had this mental image of myself as a really old lady with grey and white hair, hobbling up to a wash basin to get my relaxer rinsed out, and I thought "Is this something I really want to do for the rest of my life?"
Since I stretch four to twelve months between relaxers, I usually am very careful about handling my hair. My biggest problem is breakage, so I'll be using a lot of protective styles this time...I might even invest in a wig. When I was younger my signature styles were one or two braids, and those worked for me just fine.
Keep us updated! Your hair looks pretty and healthy in your sig so you'll probably be fine either way :)

I was tired of relaxer burns
I was tired of my hair always breaking off (especially my nape and edges)
I wanted to know what my hair looked like
I did not like the reasons I relaxed and the fact that I thought I HAD to relax to look presentable

I decided to transition for different reasons but mainly because

-My hair's been chemically processed (with a jherri curl then relaxer) since I was about 6and I don't know what my natural hair looks like
-My relaxed hair looked healthy but I like thicker hair and always had a problem with breakage no matter what I did
-Not feeling the bone-straight look on me anymore and feel like a change.

I'm currently about 9mths post. I'm doing a long transition with braids and used a Transitioning tonic for the first few months to prevent scab hair (think it worked?). I'll transition until my hair is at a length I'm comfortable with.

I have many reasons:
I haven't seen my natural hair since 2nd or 3rd grade and I don't remember it.
I want to know the hair God gave me, learn to love it and care for it.
I'm trying to use natural products - get away from the harsh chemicals.
Relaxers aren't working with my lifestyle.
I HATE spending most of my day at a salon. . . waiting for someone to finish my hair.

I decided to transition for different reasons but mainly because

-My hair's been chemically processed (with a jherri curl then relaxer) since I was about 6and I don't know what my natural hair looks like

I had the Jherri curl in 4th or 5th grade before moving on to the relaxer. My mom and brother held on to their Jherri curls for decades. :lachen:

Hi!

OK For my story - i transitioned the first time cuz i just wanted to see what my 'real' hair was like. and i'm transitioning again now cuz i want to be natural.

Steps you should take - moisturize like it's your job, be gentle, try braidouts/twistouts/buns/bantuknotouts

most importantly - be patient.

also check out the transitioner threads cuz there's sooo much info there.

Everyone,
Thank you all for your responses. It's so nice to read everyone's reasons because you all have alot of the same reasons as I do.

Back