Transitioning Q's???

Road2Health

Hello Ladies,

So I have decided to transition to natural but there are still so many things that I am confused about at this point:perplexed

My last relaxer was November 16, 2008 and my hair has been growing like crazy which I am loving but I am not sure what steps to take now that I have decided to transition. Could you ladies that have been in my situation before or are currently transitioning offer me any tips, products to use, hairstyles, ect?? TIA

I didn't want this to get lost so I thought I would respond... I'm completely new to the game eventhough I've been transitioning for awhile... it looks like you are at perfect bun length and all I can say is find your moisture and protein balance b/c that will get you through the tough times. I personally co-wash and DC about twice a week and add protein as needed... I use HE HH as a leave in (full strength) and seal with a mixture of coconut oil, shea butter, tea tree oil and olive oil with a little glycerin added in... I have also found that low to no manipulation is the best for transitioning (my hair at least)... I hope others will chime in and help you out... Welcome to the club sis!

That was nice Mook. The fotki's will be a great resource for transitioners.

My advice: Find a good shampoo, deep conditioner, wide tooth comb, moisturizer, and a style you can easily achieve (roller set, straw set, bun, braids). The rest is time and patience.

Here's my Fotki too http://members.fotki.com/mariag002/
Here's a great blog to help you with tips on transitioning: http://www.curlynikki.com/

My last relaxer was in 2006 and I transitioned for 10 months. Transitioning was like torture for me but you get through it. It was easier for me to either do ponytails or rollerset the entire time I was transitioning. I had tons of bad hair days, but mostly because I really didn't know any better. I stayed away from heat the first 4-5 months, but my advice to you if you're going to use heat anyway is to be very careful with the new growth and use a heat protectant. Back then I used olive oil and coconut oil to do hot oil treatments. I kept the same products I used when I was relaxed because it was just easier for me to do so. I used Silicone Mix to DC and Tresemme conditioner as a leave-in. Back then I used Fantasia gel to slick my hair back in the front. I bought tons of headbands and accessories to help make my hair look half way decent.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I'll be more than happy to help!

Congrats on transitioning! Right now I'm 9 months post relaxer so I'm still learning but am definitely available if you have any questions. I agree that you should look over fotki's for regimens, I honestly don't know if I could have transitioned without them.

During your first few months I would buy a few staples, loulou82 hit dead on the ones you need right now. Try to refrain from buying a lot of products just because your hair goes through a lot of changes and products that work well on hair with little NG don't always work as well as you get more NG. I barely use any products I bought when I first started transitioning.

Also if you can stay away from heat as much as you can and try low manipulation styles. I now see why so many naturals bun it, wear twists and roller sets, its the best way to retain hair while transitioning. I wear twists under a wig now and have minimal shedding compared to when I tried to wear my hair flat ironed when I first began transitioning and experienced lots of shedding.

Your relaxed ends need extra care so make sure to keep them moisturized and seal, I wish I knew when I started transitioning just how much this is important because if I did I may not have needed to cut so much of my ends off when I BC. Also pay attention to any changes in your hair in terms of shedding, breakage, ect to try to stop it before it gets any worse. I noticed a little breakage one week and by the next had extreme breakage.

A few staples I love(I'm a 4A/4B) that I've seen naturals on the board use are Cantu Shea Butter(great leave in for twists or to use as a leave in), QP Mango Butter (very thick without feeling greasy), ORS Replenishing Pack (great DC that feels great on the hair), Giovanni 50/50 shampoo, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner (I swear by it as my staple conditioner), Hawaiian Silky 15-1(just started using it and almost kissed my bottle when I saw how soft it got my NG), a wide tooth comb and a Denman brush to help with detangling if that becomes an issue. Moisture is your best friend right now, good luck!!!

Last edited:
Transitioning is hard!

But everytime i wash my hair and feel the curlies in the back of my head, i smile! :grin:

Thank you sooooooo much ladies for the replies...I absolutely love being apart of this forum!! I will definitely check out those fotki's and pay close attention to the specific needs of my hair during my journey. I will be sure to keep you ladies updated!

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. I've been transitioning since August 2007 :)

I'd suggest just taking care of your hair. I keep straightening when I feel like it, doing braidouts when I feel like it...but I keep it moisturized and am not rough with it. I'm having an easy transition NOW (month 7-9 was tough for me) and I'm sure you will too.

Back