im gonna transition...

l_choice2001

and im scared lol i have no clue where to start its been about 13 weeks since my last relaxer and i want to transition until i bc

im confused as to what products i should use, i currently motions products as well as some apoghee products and ive been doing pretty well.

is there anything i should do differently since i am transitioning??

ajoyfuljoy

go to the transitioners support thread for 2009. It's more than you ever wanted to know about transitioning :)

pmichael52172

Definately stop by the transitioner's support thread... 2009 AND 2008 and if there's a 2007 go there too!

As for products, I was given this piece of good advice:

"Don't go switching up products so early in your transition. You may find yourself blowing money on products that work well for some and not for you, PLUS, you're still mostly relaxed, so keep using what you have until it stops working for you - or introduce one new thing at a time. Your natural hair will not reveal it's true self until you're mostly or all relaxer free anyway. If you do get the pj "shakes" :drool: then find reviews on your products first, see if you can get samples or make purchases that you know you can return if you're unsatisfied."

I'm on month 4 and am still having fun. Patience and creativity is the keep... oh and most importantly... Keep. It. Simple! If you use a ton of stuff, you won't know what's working and what's not.

Last edited:

Stormy

In addition to the transitioners support threads, find some threads with your hair type for example maybe do a search on conditioners for type 3C or 4A and anything you wanna know. You'll probably find this info. in the transitioners support threads too. Check out some You Tube videos for the BC. That's what I did to get more of an idea on using certain products like IC gel and Kinky Curly Custard. This way you can see ladies who have the same type of hair that you do and get an idea of how the products may work for you. Not a definite thing, but it's a start. For every next step I'm about to take (BC, styling, straightening, etc...) I check out the videos.

I also agree with trying one thing at a time. I started off with Giovani products because they can be used on relaxed and natural hair. Other than that I keep it pretty simple with natural oils. I don't even use gels and all that anymore. You'll find what works the best as time goes on.

SEMO

Congrats on your decision. I am a firm believer in doing what works until it stops working. So unless what you're doing for your relaxed hair appears detrimental to your new growth, I wouldn't change up your routine. I continued my regular routine throughout my transition and had no problems.

MummysGirl

Good luck, I'm just over 13 weeks into my transition too... I agree with what the above ladies have said.

You can check out my fotki, I also have some friends on my 'About Me' page who are transitioning, or have transitioned... there's a lot of info out there :)

TemiLnd

I concur with the ladies here. i transitioned for 13months without any problem.
Do not start changing up your products. See if your current products will work for your new growth. I found that I bought things cos of the board that now will not work for my natuarl hair. The products I used as a kid when I was natural, now work great on my hair again.
And remember - you need at least 3 months to know if a product really works - at least for growth aides anyway.
Good luck!!! :)

Loves Harmony

Im transitioning again. I agree with the ladies above. Dont purchase anything new until the old products stop working.

l_choice2001

thanks ladies!!! the main problem i have is detangling it takes forever!! but i takemy time, i think im gonna detangle in sections spray with leave in and braid for my next wash