To Braid or Not To Braid.....That is my question

HauteMama

I usually get my braided each Summer for beach vacation. Micros is what I like the best. Last year, I got cornrows going straight back with extensions. Recently, I had a stylist and two people say that they don't recommend getting micros especially if I am going to add hair to my length. Since finding lhcf, now I'm wondering what you ladies think or what have your experiences been.
Does the length of your hair matter when adding extensions? My length is past shoulders but not APL.

Thanks,
Sonja

Katt73

I am curious to hear responses. I'm planning a trip to the Caribbean in a few weeks and would love to get micros but I'm a little nervous about the tension on my hair.

I also have a question about braids and swimming. Do you ladies wash your braids each time you swim to get rid of the chlorine and/or salt water? Is that an appropriate time to co-wash rather than shampoo?

cutiebe2

Very few people would say its okay to get Micros.....I say its a nono. If you think your hair is that strong to withstand the tension then go for it!
As far as the current length of you hair being an issue, I think it depends of the length you want the micros to be. The would probably need to go down towards BSL and they would take a longer time but I have seen pictures of girls on here with APL hair get braids

ayoung

I like micros (but the the teeny tiny ones)--but now that i am approaching APL--i can't get them anymore--there is not point for me to.

I get braids for 'cuteness' as well as a protective style--but because I don't want micros to my butt---the weave wont be braided past the length of my hair and my ends will be loose and free.

So, now I got for cornrolls w/ a slight design or sewins when i want braids etc..

ddean

cutiebe2 said:
Very few people would say its okay to get Micros.....I say its a nono. If you think your hair is that strong to withstand the tension then go for it!
As far as the current length of you hair being an issue, I think it depends of the length you want the micros to be. The would probably need to go down towards BSL and they would take a longer time but I have seen pictures of girls on here with APL hair get braids
ITA :nono:. I had micros in Nov 2006 and kept them in for 8 weeks. My edges really suffered, and it took several months to nurse them back to health.

Lusa

I think you have to assess the health of your hair, and how the stylist puts them in. What works for one person may not work for the next. Personally, I have no problem with micros, my hair can handle it, and in all the years of having them done I haven't suffered any negative consequences. But as you see from some of the replies already received, my case is not the rule.

Belle Du Jour

Micros only cause problems for me at the hairline. For some reason (even with washing) it's easy for the dirt to build up there and cause problems when it's time to remove the braids. That's the only place I lose hair. If you have a strong hairline and make sure to moisturize your hair you *should* be okay. But you have to be vigilant with micros.

HauteMama

cutiebe2 said:

Yes, I thought about the length and with my hair being past my shoulders, I normally get the added length to bra strap. Although I have always taken
care of my hair along with the braids, wouldn't it be my bad luck this time around that I experience a problem.

HauteMama

Lusa said:
I think you have to assess the health of your hair, and how the stylist puts them in. What works for one person may not work for the next. Personally, I have no problem with micros, my hair can handle it, and in all the years of having them done I haven't suffered any negative consequences. But as you see from some of the replies already received, my case is not the rule.

Hi Lusa,
You are right!! A lot of success depends on how the person puts them in.
Again, I was fortunate last year when I got my cornrows..........they went in wayyyyyyyy too tight, but I took extra care of them and I took them out with even more care!

snoopy1me

HauteMama said:
I usually get my braided each Summer for beach vacation. Micros is what I like the best. Last year, I got cornrows going straight back with extensions. Recently, I had a stylist and two people say that they don't recommend getting micros especially if I am going to add hair to my length. Since finding lhcf, now I'm wondering what you ladies think or what have your experiences been.
Does the length of your hair matter when adding extensions? My length is past shoulders but not APL.

Thanks,
Sonja

I'd have to vote no to micros...Why risk the split ends and having to unbraid it all. Plus the longer your hair is, the more stylists try to avoid braiding the entire length of your real hair which will cause splitends other wise.

Lotus

IMO length matters. Longer hair w/micro= heavier braid and greater chance for shaft damage on the portion of the hair that is not braided.

If you like the micro look you might consider T-tree braids. I've seen a few heads w/T-trees that look like micros.

HTH