Naturals with braid extensions what type of hair do you use?

BobbieDoll

Question for all of the naturals that braid with extensions, what kind of hair do you use? Do you use hair that is closer to your natural hair texture? I was wondering because I have micros and used human hair and you can clearly see the difference in the texture amd I don't like it and I want to take them out soon. Does this happen to you all or does it have something to do with the way it was braided by the braider?

LayneJ

I haven't gotten braid extensions for this very reason. I was wondering what kind of hair I would get.

Did you blowdry before you braided? Would it have made it difference if you just air-dried instead?

Hopefully someone can come in and help us out, though...

winnettag

I use synthetic (kanekalon) hair that looks kinda poofy. My natural hair is definitely not as noticeable as if I was using super straight hair.

Kelly210

I use Beverly Johnson Synthetic Kanekalon hair number 2. I blow dry my hair first. The hair doesn't have to be super straight. My hair blends pretty well. I've used human hair before, it's not my thing. I also remove the alkaine base before braiding and the hair was extremely soft.

BobbieDoll

Kelly210

I've never had micros before, always around pencil size. I don't know what type of hair to recommend for micros.

Also I always have the hair braided to the end. I wish I could be of more help.

Nonie

I use human hair and I avoid the silky kind. I go for the kinkier kind. It looks a little like relaxed hair that isn't very silky, if that makes sense. Lately I've used water wave or wet and wavy just coz the waves the ends form after a wash save me the trouble of styling on a day I haven't got time to fuss with it.

I also try to get a color closer to my own hair color. Then just making sure you smooth your own hair as you braid helps tuck it in well. I once took a picture to show that even when your hair texture is different from the hair, you can hide that difference if you make sure to hold close to the point of cross over during braiding so you tuck your hair into the braid well.

Another tip is not to blow-dry or press hair before braiding because when you wash it, reversion will show the difference in texture more than if you had just braided your hair in its natural, unstraightened state. Here's the pic I took in 2003 to show that even coarse natural hair can be blended in well with extension hair so that it's not distinguishable within the braid:

Vinyl

I use human hair; it doesn't match my texture but that's normally not a problem. Usually, if your own texture is showing through it's time to get it redone. (in my experience anyway)

BrooklynSouth

Question for all of the naturals that braid with extensions, what kind of hair do you use? Do you use hair that is closer to your natural hair texture? I was wondering because I have micros and used human hair and you can clearly see the difference in the texture amd I don't like it and I want to take them out soon. Does this happen to you all or does it have something to do with the way it was braided by the braider?

Missbobbie..I braid without extensions. I recall when I did have extensions added I lost more hair once I removed them..I am fine with my own hair..nothing added with less hair loss when the braids are loosened; sure it looks shorter and less full but i care not. I never microbraid..cornrows done by a braider, singles self done.

BobbieDoll

Thanks for that info Nonie, I see now that it can be done it's just a matter of finding the right type of hair and doing it right. Thanks.

I use human hair and I avoid the silky kind. I go for the kinkier kind. It looks a little like relaxed hair that isn't very silky, if that makes sense. Lately I've used water wave or wet and wavy just coz the waves the ends form after a wash save me the trouble of styling on a day I haven't got time to fuss with it.

I also try to get a color closer to my own hair color. Then just making sure you smooth your own hair as you braid helps tuck it in well. I once took a picture to show that even when your hair texture is different from the hair, you can hide that difference if you make sure to hold close to the point of cross over during braiding so you tuck your hair into the braid well.

Another tip is not to blow-dry or press hair before braiding because when you wash it, reversion will show the difference in texture more than if you had just braided your hair in its natural, unstraightened state. Here's the pic I took in 2003 to show that even coarse natural hair can be blended in well with extension hair so that it's not distinguishable within the braid:

BobbieDoll

I would love to be able to do that but right now I am rocking a TWA and want to wear braids for a while until I gain a little more lenght. But I do know what you mean about the hair loss.

Missbobbie..I braid without extensions. I recall when I did have extensions added I lost more hair once I removed them..I am fine with my own hair..nothing added with less hair loss when the braids are loosened; sure it looks shorter and less full but i care not. I never microbraid..cornrows done by a braider, singles self done.

glamazon386

It depends on the style. When I was interested in getting micros the braiders advised me against getting straight hair for this reason. They said to go with wet n wavy so it would hide the show through. I just decided to use the kanekalon hair.

Ms Lala

I used wet n wavy hair (human hair), my hair can't take fake hair. If the braids are fairly small you won't really notice your real hair poking through especially w/the wet n wavy hair because of how it curls up.

Right now I'm using Kanekalon and my real hair shows a lot...
When I had some medium micros in I used human Wet and Wavy, plus my hair was shorter, and it didn't show too much.

Sometimes before braiding, the braider can blow your hair out-- a temporary fix-- but it does look neater in the beginning. When braiding myself, I've also tried to be careful and prevent the little real hair puff in the middle of the braid...

*C00KIE*

I use synthetic (kanekalon) hair that looks kinda poofy. My natural hair is definitely not as noticeable as if I was using super straight hair.

Yes, this is what i use also, not only because it blends better w/ natural hair (micros w/ human hair, your hair have to be relaxed if you want that "nice and neat look") but it also i believe it better for your hair (retain moisture better) because when you do get your hair braided w/ that hair it looks better and lastes longer

Casarela

man thats where Im at right now big fuzzy ball because I washed which is normal in my opinion now what I will do next time is get the hair braided down to the end of the hair because I doubt that my ends will be fuzzy as it is....I hate doing the temporary fix because when you wash hair reversing is a be-yotch

Right now I'm using Kanekalon and my real hair shows a lot...
When I had some medium micros in I used human Wet and Wavy, plus my hair was shorter, and it didn't show too much.

Sometimes before braiding, the braider can blow your hair out-- a temporary fix-- but it does look neater in the beginning. When braiding myself, I've also tried to be careful and prevent the little real hair puff in the middle of the braid...

NGraceO

I also use kanekalon hair, color 1B. It blends in with my hair sooo well! It is the exact same texture as mine when mine is str8, but a little poofy (how my hair is when I braid it). Plus, its low maintanence. Love it! Here is a pic of mine:

sorry if its too big:(. Oh, and I have natural 4b hair. HTH!!

carameldiva

I have natural 3c/4a hair and I used 100% human hair from the Janet collection. I did a mix of blonde/black. It came out great.I have only had them in for two weeks but they blow-dried my hair first. I haven't had any issues with being able to tell between the two textures, yet and hopefully will not have them.

tocktick

human hair. i use them for individuals but i don't make them very small; they are just a bit smaller than pencils. also, i usually stick to black. i notice the difference between textures much quicker when i use a lighter colour. i actually don't notice the difference until after about a month or when i wash my hair a few times. i will also notice the difference quicker when i don't sleep with a hair bonnet or scarf because it gets rougher sooner.