Tips to a smooth air dried roller set

I have been airdrying my hair out for the past two years and decided today to set it the old fashion way and let it dry with out a hooded dryer. Does anyone have any tips on setting products, size rollers, etc. that can create a smooth air dried roller set? What works best for you? I wonder if air drying with rollers will be even better for my ends. Any thoughts?

Isis

I've been airdrying in rollersets since 2003 to smooth out my hair. I don't use setting lotion, just my leave-in, water and oil to seal. Airdrying in rollersets keeps the ends very smooth.

raeshan said:
Are the Caruso rollers damaging on your ends?

No they are not because they curl your hair with steam which infuses your ends with moisture. The are 100% healthy for your hair. I have been using them for over a year now - just about every day (I like my curls to hang loosley from my protective styles) Great Investment!

Isis -- Thanks!

crlsweetie912

I use a little serum on my ends (fantasia olive oil). This works like a charm. I have heard that others use a little shea butter too!

deltagyrl

99% of my rollersets are airdried.

I use water to saturate each section before rolling, a little Nacidit or NTM leave-in, Softee coconut oil to seal my ends and I ALWAYS use end papers (great for my ends).

My sets are always smooth.

(BTW, MAcheriamour has a GREAT rollersetting tutorial if you haven't seen it already.)

Monilove122

How long does it usually take your hair to dry when doing an airdry rollerset? I wanted to do this last week but felt like I just didn't have that much time on my hands. Also, forgive me for the crazy question but what does NTM stand for? I'm going to the BSS store tomorrow to pick up a ton of products and as so many LHCF ladies use it I wanted to invest.

shunta

Monilove122 said:
How long does it usually take your hair to dry when doing an airdry rollerset? I wanted to do this last week but felt like I just didn't have that much time on my hands. Also, forgive me for the crazy question but what does NTM stand for? I'm going to the BSS store tomorrow to pick up a ton of products and as so many LHCF ladies use it I wanted to invest.
NTM=Neutrogena Triple Moisture:)

MrsHouston

Monilove122 said:

NTM= Neutrogena Triple Moisture (line of products)

I'd like to know how long it takes you guys doing the "airdry" roller set also???

Last edited:

KiniKakes

MrsHouston said:
I'd like to know how long it takes you guys doing the "airdry" roller set also???

Yes, i would love to hear the answer to this question as well! :) And if you would, please specify:

1) the length of your hair
2) thickness/thinness of your hair
3) size of your roller
4) how long it USED to take u under a hooded dryer

:lol: Sorry for getting all detailed, but just trying to figure out how long mine would take. Im BSL with very fine/thin hair. I usually take 1 hour under a dryer. Oh, and i'd be using 3" rollers.

deltagyrl

KiniKakes said:
Yes, i would love to hear the answer to this question as well! :) And if you would, please specify:

1) the length of your hair
2) thickness/thinness of your hair
3) size of your roller
4) how long it USED to take u under a hooded dryer

:lol: Sorry for getting all detailed, but just trying to figure out how long mine would take. Im BSL with very fine/thin hair. I usually take 1 hour under a dryer. Oh, and i'd be using 3" rollers.

I don't really time myself. If I do it during the week I have to use the dryer for a few hours, maybe 2 or 3 and let the rest airdry. If I do it over the weekend and I don't have anything to do, I'll let them stay in the whole weekend.....:(

1. Nearing bsl
2. Medium thickness
3. I use the little green magnetic ones and pull my curls apart so it looks like a 4B version of Cree Summer's hair.

asubeauty

I tried to airdry my rollersets when I was in India, and they NEVER dried!! I would like to hear what some of the ladies who do airdried rollersets do so maybe I can try to copy and my rollersets wil dry.

LJewel

Bumpity bump!!

I have been airdrying my hair out for the past two years and decided today to set it the old fashion way and let it dry with out a hooded dryer. Does anyone have any tips on setting products, size rollers, etc. that can create a smooth air dried roller set? What works best for you? I wonder if air drying with rollers will be even better for my ends. Any thoughts?

motherx2esq

I've been airdrying in rollersets since 2003 to smooth out my hair. I don't use setting lotion, just my leave-in, water and oil to seal. Airdrying in rollersets keeps the ends very smooth.

This is what I do too. My ends feel great and no frizz. I also put a little oil, water and leave in in a spray bottle to keep my hair wet while setting.

motherx2esq

I tried to airdry my rollersets when I was in India, and they NEVER dried!! I would like to hear what some of the ladies who do airdried rollersets do so maybe I can try to copy and my rollersets wil dry.

You may want to try air drying over night; aking the rollers out in the morning but still leaving the hair rolled as if the roller was still in and sit under a dryer for about 30 minutes or less depending on your thickness. I have thick hair and it does not always dry over night. So I will do this the next morning and it's all dry!

soslychic

I can't imagine airdrying a rollerset completely. I have short hair and use setting lotion (which does help tremendously in reducing drying time) but still I can sleep all night and wait half the next day and my set will still not be dry :nono:

Missi

My rollersets air-dry in about 8 hrs (4hrs if its hot in the house): sometimes I add 30 minutes under they hooded dryer to get any wetness out: If I rollerset my hair at 11am: i won't take them out until 7 or 8pm: i don't have nothin to do: so why not let them sit in my hair. Also cuz i'm too lazy.

locabouthair

i use lacio lacio leave in and my sets come out smooth. i love the way the leave in makes my hair feel. i usually airdry my rollersets over night.

amina kamal

I tried this with my last rollerset two days ago. I had an EXTREMELY smooth set and all I did was use Silicon Mix and a very tiny bit of Lacio Lacio after I rinsed. My curls were silky smooth, except for the roots of course (I am 9 weeks post)

InNeedofHairapy

I alternate btwn full air dry, partial air dry, and just sitting under the dryer. Since using silicon mix, lacio lacio, and a serum, my rollersets have turned out great...I don't use setting lotion or spray when I air dry though. It doesn't work for me

Ladylynn

I used to air dry my rollersets back in the day. It would take me about 12-14 hours sometimes up to 16 with magnetic rollers. Now I just dry under my Pibbs on 35 degrees which is cool air. I can dry in 2 hours this way.

Chanel's Tresses

I do a combo of both airdry and I use the dryer. I use lacio lacio and a little oil on my ends then I sit under the dryer for like 20-30 minutes on medium and then I do some household chores for an hour or two. If I need to go somewhere I go back under the dryer for like 15 minutes if not it usually dries completley in like 2 hours. There is no way I could sleep in those rollers though.

**WonderWoman**

ITs not fun! I don't do this often but the last time I did this I slept on the couch:ohwell:

What's wrong with airdrying overnight with those soft rollers?

Has anyone tried Hype's satin rollers? Someone recommended them to me & I just got 'em..havent tried them yet. I imagine they'd be good 4 overnight airdrying...

Seeking8Rights

I always air dry my roller sets and at the end of the day I will sit under the dryer for about an hour, maybe less.

To make sure my ends are smooth, I roll them soaking wet, like water dripping off my ends. I roll them spread out on the roller and they are smooth and flat. I also comb each soaking wet section with a fine tooth comb.

I have water in the spray bottle and some Chi Silk Infusion poured out on the counter. I apply Lacio Lacio to my wet hair, begin sectioning my hair, spray the section with more water, run the comb through the section, dab some Chi through the entire section and begin to roll.

My ends are always smooth as if they were flat iron, but better.

amina kamal

I always air dry my roller sets and at the end of the day I will sit under the dryer for about an hour, maybe less.

To make sure my ends are smooth, I roll them soaking wet, like water dripping off my ends. I roll them spread out on the roller and they are smooth and flat. I also comb each soaking wet section with a fine tooth comb.

I have water in the spray bottle and some Chi Silk Infusion poured out on the counter. I apply Lacio Lacio to my wet hair, begin sectioning my hair, spray the section with more water, run the comb through the section, dab some Chi through the entire section and begin to roll.

My ends are always smooth as if they were flat iron, but better.

That is sooo funny I do the same thing with my heat protectant on the counter ha haah, I also use Lacio Lacio.