Air-dry?

Tammy

Does anyone here air-dry their roller-sets? My hooded dryer (Gold-N-Hot; will not be purchasing another one of these, maybe a Lazy Dazee) broke on me and I've yet to buy another one, so I haven't roller-set my hair in about 2 months. However, I'm ready to start doing it again, and I'm wondering if I can get a decent looking roller-set by air-drying?

I don't know about that. I think it depends on your hair type. I have 4a hair and there is no way that I can air dry rollers. I think heat will make it look sleeker

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering if I can get a decent looking roller-set by air-drying?

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking from my own experience, the answer would be yes, you can. As a matter of fact, the results are much, much better than 'decent'. On the occasions when I've airdried my roller sets, my hair has come out looking full and bouncy, with great curls. I don't discern much of a difference in its appearance from when I go under the dryer. Of course, it takes much longer to dry, which is the only reason I don't do it more often.

I have 4a texturized hair and I air dry all the time. I get a smooth set that last at least four to seven days, of course I have to work with my hair as my curls get flat and/or fall. I normally wear two days out and three days up. I set in the evening and sleep in my rollers. No, I don't get a good nights sleep.

Of course!!! This is what I used to do in highschool. My mother would set my hair for me, and I would take out the rollers the next morning.

I get the same results when its air dried or under a hood dryer. The thing is air drying takes way longer, so on the weekend when I didn't have anything to do, i didn't mind wearing till the next day (usually rollerset late afternoon)
Hope that helps.

Thank you all for your responses. I think I will try one tomorrow afternoon, but I'll start my prep work this evening by doing a pre-shampoo of olive oil and conditioner and let that mixture stay in overnight. My hair strands are fine/medium and I don't have a ton of strands, so I'm thinking it'll come out pretty well. Plus, I just received a touch-up one week ago, so I have hardly any new growth to contend with. I just wanted to know if others have tried it and what their results were.

Thanks once again.

Thanks for putting that question out there Tammy. I've been wondering about air drying myself. I'm gonna have to try it one weekend.

Yes Tammy! I do it the majority of the time because all though it takes longer to dry I think it's healthier for my hair. I just start early in the day and find things around the house to do or...log onto LHFC!
laugh.gif

My roller sets come out great with air drying!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!! I just did it today! This was my third time trying a rollerset and air drying! I can't believe how straight, bouncy, and shiney my hair is!!! If I had known about this years ago, I could have saved myself a lot of horror stories and tears! I will NEVER go back to heat! I had to experiment with the right size and type of rollers, and I think I'm getting there! I say go for it girl, and don't look back!!
laugh.gif

I did this yesterday for the first time in ages (thanks to the fresh inspiration this thread gave me
smile.gif
). I shampooed and roller set yesterday afternoon, and my hair was completely dry this morning. It may have been dry earlier than that: just before bed time last night I took out two wobbly rollers (one at the front, the other at the back) to tighten them up, and I found that those sections were completely dry. I didn't check the rest of my hair.

I think setting it on the large grey rollers may have made a difference in drying time. In the past I've used smaller rollers to air dry, mostly because I was aiming for a curlier look. Also, it's important to avoid putting too much hair on each roller if you want to cut down on drying time.

I think I'll do this more often. I'm glad this subject came up.

Yes, I tried it a couple of days after posting the question and had great results! I was so relieved. It took about 4 hours for my hair to dry. I'm sure it'll take longer once the new growth really starts to kick it, but I will also continue to do this. I'm so happy to know that I don't have to be dependent upon a dryer.

Thanks once again everyone. I probably would not have attempted it had I not asked and gotten positive responses.

Back