I air dried my hair and it looks frizzy and damaged!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Is there a proper way to air dry hair?

I clarified, washed and did a very deep conditioner, then added Silicon Mix leave in and sealed with castor oil and let my hair air dry.

When dried, which didn't take long at all, my hair looked frizzy, fried and dried. In a word, it looked *damaged*.

Anyway, I usually roller set immediately, and my hair comes out looking full and healthy. But today when I air dried it, it looked awful.

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand what I may have done wrong.

Thanks in advance,

SP

Eiano

Serenity_Peace said:
Is there a proper way to air dry hair?

I clarified, washed and did a very deep conditioner, then added Silicon Mix leave in and sealed with castor oil and let my hair air dry.

When dried, which didn't take long at all, my hair looked frizzy, fried and dried. In a word, it looked *damaged*.

Anyway, I usually roller set immediately, and my hair comes out looking full and healthy. But today when I air dried it, it looked awful.

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand what I may have done wrong.

Thanks in advance,

SP

maybe too porous, and the cuticles arent laying flat enough???

locabouthair

Serenity_Peace said:
Not sure what that means. Can you explain?

i know you didnt ask me but porous means that the hair has trouble maintaining moisture, thus it dries fast because it sucks moisture up. my hair is like this. porosity control is a conditioner that is supposed to help with this.

as for the serum. I think it's usually used on wet hair before airdrying. you can still use your oils as well. HTH

nelli711

Did you leave your hair loose when air drying your hair? When I air dry, I apply my moisturizers and seal with an oil and then I put it in a loose bun and tie my hair down with a scarf.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
nelli711 said:
Did you leave your hair loose when air drying your hair? When I air dry, I apply my moisturizers and seal with an oil and then I put it in a loose bun and tie my hair down with a scarf.

I left my hair loose, but perhaps I should have sealed, then tied with a scarf.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
locabouthair said:
i know you didnt ask me but porous means that the hair has trouble maintaining moisture, thus it dries fast because it sucks moisture up. my hair is like this. porosity control is a conditioner that is supposed to help with this.

as for the serum. I think it's usually used on wet hair before airdrying. you can still use your oils as well. HTH

I do have that porous control conditioner, and will try that. I always thought my hair soaked up moisturizers because my hair is so fine. I will try this on my wash when I finally do relax.

Thanks again!!

shunta

Serenity_Peace said:
I left my hair loose, but perhaps I should have sealed, then tied with a scarf.
Thats why it looked damaged--its because it was loose. I dont air-dry exclusively, but when I do, I make sure that its not loose. If so, my hair looks frizzy and just a hot mess.

ETA: I dont air-dry anymore, my hair couldnt tolerate it. Alot of people can with no problem, but its also alot of women on here who cant, either. I only rollerset now. The end results are muuuuch better.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Serenity-Peace, when I had relaxed hair, airdrying in magnetic rollers was best for my hair. I could not airdry loose hair either because of the frizzy ends look. Rollers kept my ends looking nicer. Hope that helps. -Poohbear

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Thanks, everyone! I learned my lesson. I was about to blame the Shikakai treatment I used for the first time, but now realize the err of my ways. I don't think I'm one of those who can air dry, either. But from now on if I'm forced to do so, I will be sure to incorporate a moisturizer and a sealant, then put in bun.

Happy growing!!!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I agree and say get some Porosity Control. I can airdry my hair loose and it dries straight down to the ends. But b4 I started using moisturing poos and cond. on a regular basis like clock work my ends would dry frizzy. But I knew darn well it wasn't damaged because I just cut about 6+ inches off, but after a few poos w/my moisturing poo and DC every 3-4 days my hair was loving me.
Eiano said:
maybe too porous, and the cuticles arent laying flat enough???

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
BeautifulWideEyes said:
I agree and say get some Porosity Control. I can airdry my hair loose and it dries straight down to the ends. But b4 I started using moisturing poos and cond. on a regular basis like clock work my ends would dry frizzy. But I knew darn well it wasn't damaged because I just cut about 6+ inches off, but after a few poos w/my moisturing poo and DC every 3-4 days my hair was loving me.

Yep. I know my hair couldn't be damaged because at 4 months post relaxer, I have no breakage and no shedding. My hair also looks much thicker. However, the frizzed up ends really freaked me out. Can you suggest a good moisturizing poo? I presently use CON.

Thanks again!

Tee

Serenity_Peace said:
I think here's where I went wrong. I didn't moisturize. I only sealed with oil. Thanks!!

How is it working out for you Serenity_Peace?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I have been using Nexxus Therappee, my hair loves it, along w/the DC with every poo. If you try it get a trial/small size first to make sure your hair likes it. Oh yeah, and try clarifying since CON is know for leaving a film on the hair sometimes.
Serenity_Peace said:
Yep. I know my hair couldn't be damaged because at 4 months post relaxer, I have no breakage and no shedding. My hair also looks much thicker. However, the frizzed up ends really freaked me out. Can you suggest a good moisturizing poo? I presently use CON.

Thanks again!

CAPlush

I wouldn't totally dismiss airdrying without first trying to secure the hair in a bun, braid, or twist and tying down with a scarf first. Add an oil or serum to tame the hair. It is really a healthy quick styling option and you may benefit from having a technique to air dry in your hair knowledge arsenal. HHG!

autumnbeauty29

I airdryed my hair last night for the first time in years and I must say I am impressed with the results. After washing I did ponytail rollersets, I am not a pro at rollersetting yet. As I was going through I also applied a creamy oil moisturizer all the way from root to tip (SSC or ORS is good). I did not seal because straight oil+wet hair on MY hair = deep waves and I did not want that. I used these new rollers that I bought from sally's and I love them. They sort of attach to the hair by themselves, not velcrow material but they look similar in the package.

This morning ends were fabulous, not frizzy and my hair was full of body. I didn't even use a comb I just ran my fingers through it, hoped in my car and did my errands:) I will be airdrying from this day forward