Tightly Curly/Fractal Curly Girl Method

Shadiyah

well I know I have to be the odd ball in here but I use cones and love them. I have found that just using conditioner on my hair just does not give me the look that I like for my hair it always look like it has a film on top. My daughter does it and love it but our hair is not the same.
I co wash just about every day but I use mixed chicks and love it and I know there are a lot of people here that do not like the product but it works for me. and as far as the dryness I put jojoba oil on my hair at night or jbco. this helps with any dryness I was going to get and since I wash every day I don't have to worry about the oil messing up my curls. with the curly girl method you will have to let your hair go through what it goes through it will get use to the conditioner and you will start to see it shine but the deva curl line I didn't like it did leave my hair dry. try tresemme and see how that works for you. and even the kinky curly line without the curly pudding. I use that on my grandson's hair and they love it.

kellistarr

Several years ago, a saleswoman at the Aveda store whispered to me to leave the conditioner in my hair. I was buying a $60 bottle of conditioner.
I had never heard of doing this and thought for this price, I should leave it in.
I thought she was strange, but looks like she knew what she was talking about.:lol:

But why put the conditioner in and twirl the hair around? What's that for? You just put the conditioner in and that's it. If your hair is naturally curly, it's going to curl, you don't need to twirl it. If it's not, this method is going to leave your hair very hydrated. For me, hydration and moisturizing is the point. Some people think that this is just for wash n' go hair. I do this regardless of how I'm wearing my hair, which is not wash n' go.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Several years ago, a saleswoman at the Aveda store whispered to me to leave the conditioner in my hair. I was buying a $60 bottle of conditioner.
I had never heard of doing this and thought for this price, I should leave it in.
I thought she was strange, but looks like she knew what she was talking about.:lol:

But why put the conditioner in and twirl the hair around? What's that for? You just put the conditioner in and that's it. If your hair is naturally curly, it's going to curl, you don't need to twirl it. If it's not, this method is going to leave your hair very hydrated. For me, hydration and moisturizing is the point. Some people think that this is just for wash n' go hair. I do this regardless of how I'm wearing my hair, which is not wash n' go.
It's not really twirling the hair, your just sliding your fingers down each curl to reinforce it into it's own unit. For me this helps greatly with ssk's because the curls dont tangle up with each other as much and contributes to me being able to get a week out of my wng. If your not concerned about getting a long lasting wng than I can see how this wouldn't be worth doing. It is time consuming but I don't have to do anything else to my hair for 6-7 days so that's pretty worth it to me.

kellistarr

@Poka- Oh, me gets it now. I do get a full week, but I see how this could help, especially if you're doing a pineapple at night or putting it up in such a way where the hair is loose. This doesn't matter to me because at night, I braid my hair, loosely, in 2 braids.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
@Poka- Oh, me gets it now. I do get a full week, but I see how this could help, especially if you're doing a pineapple at night or putting it up in such a way where the hair is loose. This doesn't matter to me because at night, I braid my hair, loosely, in 2 braids.
Yea I can get a week most times w/o doing this too but my hair looks much better to me doing this, all the way to the end of the 7 days. W/O doing this I'm kinda looking a HAM at the end of the week lol. I'm usually in a pony puff or a bun. I wish I could do the 2 braid thing but it totally destroys my curls.:sad:

The reduction of ssk's with the tightly curly method is drastic for me. Anyone looking to reduce theirs should definitely give this a try.

Beany

I'm 4bc and I think I'm using this method (or a version of it). I don't do WNGs b/c my shrinkage is too real. But I wet my hair every other day and twist my hair with Tresemme Natural conditioner and castor oil. Because I'm low-po and my hair takes for-effin-ever to dry I leave the twists in for a day and wear my hair out the next day and start the process all over. The castor oil is the only problem b/c it doesn't absorb or whatever, but I can't let go of the softness. My hair is more defined and moisturized. The key for me is to twist with the conditioner on SOAKING wet hair. Makes a huge difference to me.

Beany

McQuay30 I don't use any gel. It feels...greasy I guess, like when you put on too much lotion (I feel like I'm not explaining this well at all). After awhile is not so bad. Maybe if I wasn't so heavy handed it would feel different (I'm working on this).

faithVA

I am doing the curly girl method. I'm mostly 4b with some 4a. I am posting in the Curly Girl vs. Tightly Curly thread. This is week 7 of 12 for me.

faithVA

[USER=104981 said:
McQuay30[/USER];16288381]@faithVA, I was jsut going to ask u that in the Low Porosity Thread. R U having in problems with matting or locks forming.

No not at all. The more I am following this routine, the smoother and softer my roots get. My fuzz is calming down and my hair is feeling a lot happier.

I don't WNG though. I don't have WNG hair. My hair is a fro. So I twist it up at night in 2 strand twist or flat twist and either wear it in twists, twist out or a puff the next day.

SophieDulce

I´ve been using this method for almost 3 months exclusively and my hair has gotten better each week. My curls have begin to clump and look so good. I get about 80% shrinkage No joke, but since my curls look so good and hydrated I dont mind to much.

I co wash 3 times a week with tresemme naturals
I use paul mitchel ¨the conditioner¨as my leave in.... I LOVE THIS STUFF
and use eco styler gel to set...

Sometimes I dont use eco styler just depends on my mood, but my hair has never looked better... I cant do butters, or other stuff like that.
The only oil I use on my hair is Olive oil and thats after my hair has fully dried and I scrunch it with a little olive oil on my hands.

I am 4a with 4b in the middle.

Last edited:

*Frisky*

I have been doing the Curly Girl since Feb and I love it. I am 4a and the jury is still out if I have any 4b. I have one little area that needs extra products to make it fall in line with the rest of my hair. I didn't co wash my hair very often the first couple of months due to laziness and it still being cold outside so it took my hair a little longer to get with the program but it is doing wonderful now. My 3 day wash and go's are looking like 1st day ones with barely any maintenance depending on what products I use. Some intitial thoughts I had about my hair in the beginning have definitely changed since I have been doing the Curly Girl.

McQuay30

@frisky, what was those initial thoughts abt your hair? Does this method help with a better determination of hair texture? Such as wiry, thready, and the likes?

*Frisky*

@frisky, what was those initial thoughts abt your hair? Does this method help with a better determination of hair texture? Such as wiry, thready, and the likes?

Yes exactly..I thought I was dealing with several textures including 4c(I know some people think this doesn't exist but I do just not for my hair:grin:) Once I define my curls even in the area where the texture seems different, it still curls up like 4a hair but prior to definition, it looks different from the rest of my hair hence the 4b/4c thoughts I had. I am just guessing the use of the silicones and sulfates really had an effect on my hair and now that I am rid of those, it behaves much better and is more in it's true natural state.

faithVA

@faithVA what products r u using with this method?

I started with Tresemme Naturals because its inexpensive and I knew it would take weeks for my hair to do anything.

Then I tried Yes to Carrots. That's not for my hair.

Then I tried Giovanni Smooth as silk. :lick: I love this and my hair loves this. :yep: But I only use it as my cowash not my leave-in.

I ordered some of the Deva Care, Deva Curl and waiting for it to be delivered.
So i will be using the Deva Curl No Poo, The Deva Care One and the Deva Curl One and the Deva Curl Be Leave-in when it gets here.

I agree with the other posters, that washing my hair more often has helped. I forced myself to wash my hair every night this week and I can see the difference. My hair felt fabulous and looked really cute for a change. Its 107 here and it shrank up and I still looked cute. Or I felt like I did anyway :lol:

My hair is still soft and I can still get my fingers through my roots.

Tonight is the beginning of week 8 for me. This is not a quick fix. You have to stay with it. But I think its worth it. hmm, I'm on a rant. :lol:

McQuay30

Yes exactly..I thought I was dealing with several textures including 4c(I know some people think this doesn't exist but I do just not for my hair:grin:) Once I define my curls even in the area where the texture seems different, it still curls up like 4a hair but prior to definition, it looks different from the rest of my hair hence the 4b/4c thoughts I had. I am just guessing the use of the silicones and sulfates really had an effect on my hair and now that I am rid of those, it behaves much better and is more in it's true natural state.

Do you have any problems with matting and locks? Also which products do u use? R u wearing wngs or some other style?

McQuay30

I started with Tresemme Naturals because its inexpensive and I knew it would take weeks for my hair to do anything.

Then I tried Yes to Carrots. That's not for my hair.

Then I tried Giovanni Smooth as silk. :lick: I love this and my hair loves this. :yep: But I only use it as my cowash not my leave-in.

I ordered some of the Deva Care, Deva Curl and waiting for it to be delivered.
So i will be using the Deva Curl No Poo, The Deva Care One and the Deva Curl One and the Deva Curl Be Leave-in when it gets here.

I agree with the other posters, that washing my hair more often has helped. I forced myself to wash my hair every night this week and I can see the difference. My hair felt fabulous and looked really cute for a change. Its 107 here and it shrank up and I still looked cute. Or I felt like I did anyway :lol:

My hair is still soft and I can still get my fingers through my roots.

Tonight is the beginning of week 8 for me. This is not a quick fix. You have to stay with it. But I think its worth it. hmm, I'm on a rant. :lol:

Haircare may have gotten simple?:yep:

Vintagecoilylocks

Tightly curly method here since March 2012. I was CO wash but realized this is more and tried it. Still don't know how she goes 7 days but it is an improvement on my old method. I struggle with my 4a hair. Its right up front and the hardest to stay hydrated. So is one of the difference between the two that with CG you co wash daily? Or it does not matter how often. :perplexed

Vintagecoilylocks

I've been doing the CG Method (actually started it before I read the book and didn't realize that's what I was doing). I leave my conditioner in and the only other product I use is a little gel on the edges. It's working for me so far.

Your hair looks great how often do you CW?

Last edited:

faithVA

Tightly curly method here since March 2012. I was CO wash but realized this is more and tried it. Still don't know how she goes 7 days but it is an improvement on my old method. I struggle with my 4a hair. Its right up front and the hardest to stay hydrated. So is one of the difference between the two that with CG you co wash daily? Or it does not matter how often. :perplexed

I would say that CG is a broader version of tightly curly because it covers more curl types. You don't have to cowash your hair every day with CG. They do recommend that you hydrate your hair every day but its not a requirement. The key is to just keep your hair hydrated.

Instead of comparing Curly girl to Tightly Curly I would compare Curly Girl/Fractal Curls to Tightly Curly. Then the differences are

Tightly Curly is ok with using widetooth combs and denmans. CG - No.

Tightly Curly I think recommends more conditioner only for styling. CG is conditioners, leave-ins, gels. anything that doesn't impact hydration.

Tightly Curly has a certain way of defining the coils. CG offers another method.

I thought think the differences between the two are small for tightly curly hair.

Short answer - you don't have to cowash every day :lol: Just keep your hair hydrated.

*Frisky*

Do you have any problems with matting and locks? Also which products do u use? R u wearing wngs or some other style?

No I have no matting or locs...I use either Tresemme Naturals or Garnier Fructis for cowash and then I use Pure Clean Gel, Xtreme Gel and/or Long Aid Activator Gel. If I use the Long Aid, I use that first then put one of the other gels on top. I have only been doing wash and go's for that past 2 months.

*Frisky*

I would say that CG is a broader version of tightly curly because it covers more curl types. You don't have to cowash your hair every day with CG. They do recommend that you hydrate your hair every day but its not a requirement. The key is to just keep your hair hydrated.

Instead of comparing Curly girl to Tightly Curly I would compare Curly Girl/Fractal Curls to Tightly Curly. Then the differences are

Tightly Curly is ok with using widetooth combs and denmans. CG - No.

Tightly Curly I think recommends more conditioner only for styling. CG is conditioners, leave-ins, gels. anything that doesn't impact hydration.

Tightly Curly has a certain way of defining the coils. CG offers another method.

I thought think the differences between the two are small for tightly curly hair.

Short answer - you don't have to cowash every day :lol: Just keep your hair hydrated.

Wow you the expert now Ms. Faith!! I remember when you were kinda hesitant to try the CG method hahahaha..I just recently just watched a video about the Tightly Curly cause I didn't even know what it was.

faithVA

Wow you the expert now Ms. Faith!! I remember when you were kinda hesitant to try the CG method hahahaha..I just recently just watched a video about the Tightly Curly cause I didn't even know what it was.

Expert? :lol: That's hilarious. I was definitely afraid to try this because I know how tight my hair curls up and it takes so long to do my hair. :nono: I couldn't imagine how I was going to cowash my hair and then style it.

So it was nearly a year ago when I was wishing I could do this. Fast forward a year and my hair is still a pain in the butt, so I had nothing to lose.

I am an obsessive reader/researching so I may know a lot about something I've never done :look:

faithVA

***I am not saying I have 3b hair *** :lol:

Friday, I had a 3b hair experience.

I prepooed with EVOO and honey, rinsed, cowashed with Giovanni SAS and used Deva Curl One as a leave-in. I did a lot of smoothing. And my hair was extremely hydrated. My hair went into this state that I had never experienced for. I just kept pulling it and looking at it.

Of course I knew it wouldn't stay like that so I twisted my hair up before my carriage turned back into a pumpkin. :lol: But I had the best twist out ever the next day with no reversion in 103 degree temperatures :yep:

Vintagecoilylocks

I will clarify my routine. i am a modified tighly curly because I do not comb or use a denamen brush. I finger detangle but I do separate my curls like Terri. This dry hot weather has forced me to increase my Co wash to every three days or so.