Tightly Curly/Fractal Curly Girl Method

testimony777

OK...lots to respond to! :D

2 to 3 days is like "yipppeee!" to me LOL 4 or 5? Unheard of! Quick you must tell me what creamy styler you use!

Thanks!

I have been using Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue for close to a year now and I really like it. It plays nice with whatever conditioner I use under it and it leave my hair really soft. Before that I was using KCCC. It was alright but I had to be more carful about what conditioner I used and it left my hair hard and stringy on the first day which I HATE.

I am surprised to hear that the Angel still has the cone in it even after the release of her latest book that still disparages cones. I find that interesting to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

ctosha

Iam trying this method this weekend im using Live Clean argan oil condish (Canadian brand) and Im sealing with an oil...As another poster mentioned im tired of twisting as well.

Embyra

throws up the gang sign CG 4 LIFE!:lol: i have been following it since last feb/march:yep:

I have given up on sulphate free shampoos as ANY lather causes my hair to frizz i also read a section on beauty brains comfirming this

I THOROUGHLY rinse hair for about 5 minutes perside before i apply any conditioner which is always going to be tresemme :look:

I never leave it in and always rinse it out and apply ecostyler i currently do my hair once a week may change it to twice a week here are my wash and gos up to day 8 it was taken with a old camera so i may take some new pics:yep:

http://public.fotki.com/Belgravia/update/

Last edited:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
One thing that I notice about my hair now that it's longer is that I cannot do a wash n go unless I plan on cowashing everyday. If I go longer than that, my hair gets crazy tangled and it takes a while to detangle.

To keep my hair from getting messy I have to either fingercurl or 2 strand twists---Unless I cut my hair a lot, wash n gos are a no no for my hair texture.

The bolded is me too. I loved the fresh cut and how well it did with a wng. Now, it's so tangly. Ugh. I am back to tnc's.

Cherokee-n-Black

throws up the gang sign CG 4 LIFE!:lol: i have been following it since last feb/march:yep:

I have given up on sulphate free shampoos as ANY lather causes my hair to frizz i also read a section on beauty brains comfirming this

I THOROUGHLY rinse hair for about 5 minutes perside before i apply any conditioner which is always going to be tresemme :look:

I never leave it in and always rinse it out and apply ecostyler i currently do my hair once a week may change it to twice a week here are my wash and gos up to day 8 it was taken with a old camera so i may take some new pics:yep:

http://public.fotki.com/Belgravia/update/
Embyra - Right back atcha with the gang sign LOL That is unbelievable - Day 8??? But here's what I don't get: I was expecting to see some long and involved regimen and method of protecting curls overnight. What gives? What do you think makes the difference? I have discovered that leaving conditioner in my hair may not be the best move for me either (although I'm weaning myself off, just washing out *most* of it right now). I think we might be hair cousins! :D Very similar--well, except for that whole 8-day WNG thing! :lachen:

Love Always

I'm going to start this method because my hair is extremely dry. Ladies, what conditioner(s) are you using to wash?

Embyra

Embyra - Right back atcha with the gang sign LOL That is unbelievable - Day 8??? But here's what I don't get: I was expecting to see some long and involved regimen and method of protecting curls overnight. What gives? What do you think makes the difference? I have discovered that leaving conditioner in my hair may not be the best move for me either (although I'm weaning myself off, just washing out *most* of it right now). I think we might be hair cousins! :D Very similar--well, except for that whole 8-day WNG thing! :lachen:

Cherokee-n-Black please believe there is no one as lazy with their hair as me:look::lol:

I dont like fussing with my hair i could go longer than 8 days but as i shed alot and have a phobia of shed hair...:look:i try to avoid it

yup how you prep and sleep are the keys to doing a wash and go for curly girls

Make sure when your hair is dry you dont touch it AT ALL i always used to do this and would notice frizz too early on

Make sure you apply adequate gel conditioner for YOUR hair type the thicker /dense the hair the more product you need but you want one when it dries it doesnt feel like product is in it

I NEVER pineapple my hair with hairbands i always just flip my head over and apply the buff with my hair loose in the buff

yup i always rinse out the conditoner using luke warm/cold water where you can feel a SLIGHT bit left in when i mean slight i mean it :lol:

Also as i said earlier i dont using shampoos that lather regardless of it being sulphate free it still causes frizz on me and my hair already is frizzy and bushy by nature no need to increase it:lol:

UrbainChic

I just bought a product called Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic gel and I like it a lot :yep: It's made of natural ingredients, it doesn't have glycerin, but it gives shine and softness. There are lots of YT videos that show lots of curly's with different hair textures that love it!! I give it 5 stars.

Here's the website: http://unclefunkysdaughter.com/

This website is the first website I have ever noticed that had a separate category and photo that described and matched what my hair does. That alone gives me confidence to try the product. I am poking around on youtube to listen and see other reviews.

I have been trying to use the curly girl method but, I've been breaking the rules with the silicones. This thread is quite timely for me.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Saga

The Generous Queen
I've tried the tightly curly method before, but when my hair was much shorter. In my opinion, it was way too time consuming. I got good results and all, but twirling every little curly clump around my finger just to get better definition felt like a hastle. Especially since I had to keep re-wetting the hair as I went along. I think this method is better fro those with looser coils, because their curl clumps will be bigger and much easier to define. I am a 4a, btw.

Cherokee-n-Black

Cherokee-n-Black please believe there is no one as lazy with their hair as me:look::lol:

I dont like fussing with my hair i could go longer than 8 days but as i shed alot and have a phobia of shed hair...:look:i try to avoid it

yup how you prep and sleep are the keys to doing a wash and go for curly girls

Make sure when your hair is dry you dont touch it AT ALL i always used to do this and would notice frizz too early on

Make sure you apply adequate gel conditioner for YOUR hair type the thicker /dense the hair the more product you need but you want one when it dries it doesnt feel like product is in it

I NEVER pineapple my hair with hairbands i always just flip my head over and apply the buff with my hair loose in the buff

yup i always rinse out the conditoner using luke warm/cold water where you can feel a SLIGHT bit left in when i mean slight i mean it :lol:

Also as i said earlier i dont using shampoos that lather regardless of it being sulphate free it still causes frizz on me and my hair already is frizzy and bushy by nature no need to increase it:lol:

Embyra 0 Aha! I'm a toucher. I touch my hair...a lot. Hey, whaddya want? I'm newly natural. I haven't seen this stuff in almost 30 years! :lachen: I've stopped (as of like, last week) using lathering shampoo too. I can't. It's crazy, my hair always feels like straw no matter what. I'm having good results with not leaving in the conditioner, but I'm scared of real gel. I had a bad experience with ecostyler while I was transitioning. I...can't talk about it. :lol: Hmm...so maybe I'll try a stronger gel (I'm still scared) stop touching my hair so much. But...what's a buff?

Embyra

Embyra 0 Aha! I'm a toucher. I touch my hair...a lot. Hey, whaddya want? I'm newly natural. I haven't seen this stuff in almost 30 years! :lachen: I've stopped (as of like, last week) using lathering shampoo too. I can't. It's crazy, my hair always feels like straw no matter what. I'm having good results with not leaving in the conditioner, but I'm scared of real gel. I had a bad experience with ecostyler while I was transitioning. I...can't talk about it. :lol: Hmm...so maybe I'll try a stronger gel (I'm still scared) stop touching my hair so much. But...what's a buff?

Cherokee-n-Black I meant to also say when your hair is drying when its still wet with gel dont touch it ..not dont touch period:blush::lol:but as you are a toucher in general you may have to use a stronger gel depending on how much you really getting in there and feeling up your hair:blush::lol:

Damn ecostyler did you wrong huh as your my girl and im the ecostyler pusha :look: i wont tell you that you must have just used it wrong:lachen:jk

Have you tired the argan one its much softer than the olive oil version i think even though they both say they have a hold of 10 i can tell the difference between the two

If any gel you try is to strong for you try mixing some curl activator gel in them
always go for the lite version and then see if you need more moisture and then try regular but the versions for dry hair is just grreeaassssyyy:nono:

buff is here...https://www.buffwear.com/catalog/ click the original buff tab there are TONS of them really good quality material :yep:

or you can get the suemaesta ones sold at rickys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ERndPsZyY

Cherokee-n-Black

Cherokee-n-Black I meant to also say when your hair is drying when its still wet with gel dont touch it ..not dont touch period:blush::lol:but as you are a toucher in general you may have to use a stronger gel depending on how much you really getting in there and feeling up your hair:blush::lol:

Damn ecostyler did you wrong huh as your my girl and im the ecostyler pusha :look: i wont tell you that you must have just used it wrong:lachen:jk

Have you tired the argan one its much softer than the olive oil version i think even though they both say they have a hold of 10 i can tell the difference between the two

If any gel you try is to strong for you try mixing some curl activator gel in them
always go for the lite version and then see if you need more moisture and then try regular but the versions for dry hair is just grreeaassssyyy:nono:

buff is here...https://www.buffwear.com/catalog/ click the original buff tab there are TONS of them really good quality material :yep:

or you can get the suemaesta ones sold at rickys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ERndPsZyY

Embyra - Yeah, me and Ecostyler just agreed to disagree. But...it's also highly possible I used it wrong. I used the olive oil, and at 5 cents a jar :lol: I wouldn't be opposed to giving the Argan Oil one a shot. That's what Ecostyler has going for it: it's CHEEP! Me and activator fell out back in the 80's (I just knew activator would make my hair be the bomb! I won't tell you how I was using it--too embarrassing now! :blush:) But I won't hold anything against any products I used while I was transitioning, because my hair was just a mess in general and this fully natural universe is truly a different world. Thanks for the tips and the link!

Embyra

Embyra - Yeah, me and Ecostyler just agreed to disagree. But...it's also highly possible I used it wrong. I used the olive oil, and at 5 cents a jar :lol: I wouldn't be opposed to giving the Argan Oil one a shot. That's what Ecostyler has going for it: it's CHEEP! Me and activator fell out back in the 80's (I just knew activator would make my hair be the bomb! I won't tell you how I was using it--too embarrassing now! :blush:) But I won't hold anything against any products I used while I was transitioning, because my hair was just a mess in general and this fully natural universe is truly a different world. Thanks for the tips and the link!

looooolCherokee-n-Black:lol:

try the smaller size of argan one so if you dont like it you wont have a tub staring at you :lol:
Right its all trial and error and there are going to be products that people rave about that your hair just wont like but keep on pushing because once you find those staple products its smooooth sailing:grin:

greenandchic

Can someone tell me why cones are discouraged?

I know that question has been answered for you, but cones on my hair eventually dry it out. It feels good in the moment, but by the second or third day, my hair feels like straw and I have to poo it out.

looooolCherokee-n-Black:lol:

try the smaller size of argan one so if you dont like it you wont have a tub staring at you :lol:
Right its all trial and error and there are going to be products that people rave about that your hair just wont like but keep on pushing because once you find those staple products its smooooth sailing:grin:

Have you tried the Ecostyler Blue - Hold #5? I tried that months ago and blew away the Crystal, Olive Oil and Argan Oil one which all has a hold of #10. I can use in my hair without the dryness and hardness of the others.

I've also been making a *special* flax seed gel that has hold for the sake of using more natural products these days. It works well for my "out" styles.

Embyra

Have you tried the Ecostyler Blue - Hold #5? I tried that months ago and blew away the Crystal, Olive Oil and Argan Oil one which all has a hold of #10. I can use in my hair without the dryness and hardness of the others.

greenandchic I have heard about the blue one but dont see it in my local
i will look tommo hold of 5 sounds kinda weak though i want my hair to last all week once its done we will see cant be any worse than curlywhip :lol:

greenandchic

greenandchic I have heard about the blue one but dont see it in my local
i will look tommo hold of 5 sounds kinda weak though i want my hair to last all week once its done we will see cant be any worse than curlywhip :lol:

It wasn't at my local BSS, I had to make a special order for it. #5 hold is light and flexible. I don't like helmet head styles, especially if I'm wearing my hair out. LOL.

Cherokee-n-Black

you cant see the yt vid either:sad:

Its basically a LONG headband that you put on that covers your hair when you pineapple it

The YT Link went to Taren916's pineapple demo, but I didn't see her use the sue maesta things. I've seen/heard her mention it but I still haven't seen her demo putting it on her hair. I guess it's pretty straightforward? Is the buff the exact same?

Embyra

The YT Link went to Taren916's pineapple demo, but I didn't see her use the sue maesta things. I've seen/heard her mention it but I still haven't seen her demo putting it on her hair. I guess it's pretty straightforward? Is the buff the exact same?

Cherokee-n-Black from 2:30 onwards she shows how she uses it
yup the buff is the same but a bit longer and better quality:yep:

Cherokee-n-Black

Cherokee-n-Black from 2:30 onwards she shows how she uses it
yup the buff is the same but a bit longer and better quality:yep:

Embyra LMAO-- OK, how about I started watching her pineapple then ff'd thinking "yeah, yeah, yeah pineapple, let's get to the band. " Got to the end and her hair was still out. Didn't realize she had put it on and taken it off again! LOL.

Now, you don't pineapple, right? Just put it up in that thing? Pineappling stretches my curls out too much, and when I take out the ponytail holder, my hair STAYS UP! LOL Literally will not come down! :lachen: I think I posted on that a while back. Well, you give some good tips. Again, a lot may have changed now that my hair is shorter and my relaxed ends are gone. Thank you!!!!

Embyra

Embyra LMAO-- OK, how about I started watching her pineapple then ff'd thinking "yeah, yeah, yeah pineapple, let's get to the band. " Got to the end and her hair was still out. Didn't realize she had put it on and taken it off again! LOL.

Now, you don't pineapple, right? Just put it up in that thing? Pineappling stretches my curls out too much, and when I take out the ponytail holder, my hair STAYS UP! LOL Literally will not come down! :lachen: I think I posted on that a while back. Well, you give some good tips. Again, a lot may have changed now that my hair is shorter and my relaxed ends are gone. Thank you!!!!

Cherokee-n-Black loool i knew you skimmed the vid :spank:

I dont pineapple with hairbands like you it stretches out my curls and i dont want that at all :nono:sheena said the same thing

If you find your hair sticks up you can always try it the other way like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQ_czi5ZWY and see how you like it

glad i could help some its all trial and error though :hugxplode:

Cherokee-n-Black

Cherokee-n-Black loool i knew you skimmed the vid :spank:

I dont pineapple with hairbands like you it stretches out my curls and i dont want that at all :nono:sheena said the same thing

If you find your hair sticks up you can always try it the other way like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQ_czi5ZWY and see how you like it

glad i could help some its all trial and error though :hugxplode:

:hugxplode: Embyra Awesome. Gettin' me a buff or buff-type thingy! Thanks!

kellistarr

I can't remember when I started this method, but its been the best treatment for my hair. Leaving the conditioner in. If you like to use products, you still can do that. If I want hold, then I apply a creamy styler like a curl cream. If I'm not using a curl cream then I will apply the conditioner, then a leave-in, all while my hair is very wet. I will comb through my hair that day, (if I'm not feeling lazy) but then no more combing after that.

I may still apply conditioner on the 3rd day or some other product, just no combing. To combat any dryness, I may moisturize with an oil and do deep conditioning. Terri L. says she doesn't bother with deep condish, but I do (when not being lazy). Someone on this site suggested spraying with a leave-in, not water. This is another great tip that keeps my hair from looking and feeling dry.

When I don't leave the conditioner in my hair, I see a huge difference. My hair isn't as moisturized, my curls aren't as defined and frizz more.

Cherokee-n-Black

I can't remember when I started this method, but its been the best treatment for my hair. Leaving the conditioner in. If you like to use products, you still can do that. If I want hold, then I apply a creamy styler like a curl cream. If I'm not using a curl cream then I will apply the conditioner, then a leave-in, all while my hair is very wet. I will comb through my hair that day, (if I'm not feeling lazy) but then no more combing after that.

I may still apply conditioner on the 3rd day or some other product, just no combing. To combat any dryness, I may moisturize with an oil and do deep conditioning. Terri L. says she doesn't bother with deep condish, but I do (when not being lazy). Someone on this site suggested spraying with a leave-in, not water. This is another great tip that keeps my hair from looking and feeling dry.

When I don't leave the conditioner in my hair, I see a huge difference. My hair isn't as moisturized, my curls aren't as defined and frizz more.

Kellistar - hey, I'm definitely in trial and error mode. Haven't tried a creamy styler over conditioner yet. Now it's on my list! Learning, here! Thanks!