Tightly Curly/Fractal Curly Girl Method

Cherokee-n-Black

So anyone doing this/these? To me they're about the same. Between Mahogany Curls and Terri LaFlesh (the author of Curly Like Me and tightlycurly.com) who I think do it the best I've seen, it looks like a good thing, but I don't have it down. Since I got my BC at Devachan, I'm trying out what they told me (wash and go's using conditioner and leaving it in). So far so-so, I have a lot of dryness, but I do get decent 2nd day hair (and got 3rd day hair from the salon visit. I'm sure I'm washing my hair too much right now, but one day, I think I OD'd on gel, and just two days ago, I made the HUGE mistake of putting something with shea butter in my hair. EEK! It's official me and shea don't get along.

Well, just looking for tips on how to combat the dryness. I've tried refreshing with H2O and conditioner, glycerine and water. I've heard it takes a while to get your hair really hydrated once you are cone and sulfate free, but I'm impatient!!!!

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
The curly girl method always interests me but I can't get with the leaving conditioner in my hair. It's not my style because I like products too much but I find that later I frizz out my curls. Oh well.

Last edited:

~~HoneyComb~~

I'm on the 2nd week of really giving this method a try. I bought the Condition One and I only use it as a leave in. I cowashed my hair almost every day last week and it looked...meh :perplexed Right now my hair doesn't look great leaving just the conditioner on, it looks dry once dried, so I've been using a moisturizing curly girl friendly gel over the conditioner.

But I'm sticking with it, I have nothing to lose and am trying to gain very moisturized hair that will eventually need very little product.

I saw YT of a 4a curly had that had used it and over the course of a year her hair looked fantastic!!

testimony777

I use a modified version of the tightly curly method. I leave conditioner in my hair but I also use a creamy styler on top. I have done the curly girl method in the past and it works fine but I find that if I don't put a styler on top I cannot get more than 2 days out of a wash and go (maybe 3 if the stars are properly aligned). Using a creamy styler allows me to get 4 to 5 days easy out of my wash and gos.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
It doesn't sound like your conditioner fulfills your hair's needs. Is it moisturizing, or protein balanced? Do you have build up from your practices before? Are you sealing?

Ronnieaj

Can someone tell me why cones are discouraged?

I'm not going to hijack the thread, but in terms of co-washing, they're discouraged because many of them can build up on the hair and eventually require some type of shampoo to get out. I don't believe the shampoo has to be sulfate (at least, not according to an NC.com article I read about it), but it would require something other than just co-washing to remove the buildup that the silicones cause.

testimony777

Can someone tell me why cones are discouraged?

Lorane Massy claims that cones suffocate the hair (this is not true). A better reason for avoiding cones if you follow this method is that some cones must be removed with sulfate containing shampoos and sulfates are too be avoided using this method. However, many cones can be removed with milder cleansers (including the one used in her reformulated No Poo).

I was actually disappointed to see that she was still standing by this in her new book. At one point one of her products contained amodimethicone. She latter removed it but I imagine that she put it in there initially because she learned that it was not harmful to the hair. Her No Poo in its original formulation did not contain cleansers that were strong enough to remove cones but now it does (and Low Poo always has). My assumption is that because she has now built a career on a method that shuns cones she cannot go back on that. But most of the information that is out there now supports the idea that cones pose no problem to the condition of the hair and may actually benefit some people.

I used to be diehard about avoiding cones and mineral oil and all the other no no ingredients. But I have found in my personal experience that how I handle my hair is more important than what I put on it.

~~HoneyComb~~

I use a modified version of the tightly curly method. I leave conditioner in my hair but I also use a creamy styler on top. I have done the curly girl method in the past and it works fine but I find that if I don't put a styler on top I cannot get more than 2 days out of a wash and go (maybe 3 if the stars are properly aligned). Using a creamy styler allows me to get 4 to 5 days easy out of my wash and gos.

I agree....I don't not want to spend every day or every other day styling my hair, and my wash n gos with just conditioner only do not last at all. Putting a little moisturizing gel on top of my hair helps me get more than 1 day hair.

It's not that I don't have the time to do my hair daily, I just don't want to :look:

Cherokee-n-Black

OK...lots to respond to! :D
I'm on the 2nd week of really giving this method a try. I bought the Condition One and I only use it as a leave in. I cowashed my hair almost every day last week and it looked...meh :perplexed Right now my hair doesn't look great leaving just the conditioner on, it looks dry once dried, so I've been using a moisturizing curly girl friendly gel over the conditioner.

But I'm sticking with it, I have nothing to lose and am trying to gain very moisturized hair that will eventually need very little product.

I saw YT of a 4a curly had that had used it and over the course of a year her hair looked fantastic!!
Did you see MahoganyCurls? She's a 4a curly with the bomb hair. That's the one I was talking about earlier. If you saw someone else, please share!

2 to 3 days is like "yipppeee!" to me LOL 4 or 5? Unheard of! Quick you must tell me what creamy styler you use!

It doesn't sound like your conditioner fulfills your hair's needs. Is it moisturizing, or protein balanced? Do you have build up from your practices before? Are you sealing?

I'm not sealing, but I think there is something about oil building up on the hair with co-washing? I'm a real newbie and a former co-washing doubter, so I don't know all the ins and outs. Willing to be educated. Supposedly, with this method, your hair becomes more hydrated the longer you do it...MahoganyCurls on YT attests to this, but I can't say I know this personally.

Lorane Massy claims that cones suffocate the hair (this is not true). A better reason for avoiding cones if you follow this method is that some cones must be removed with sulfate containing shampoos and sulfates are too be avoided using this method. However, many cones can be removed with milder cleansers (including the one used in her reformulated No Poo).

I was actually disappointed to see that she was still standing by this in her new book. At one point one of her products contained amodimethicone.
Her Angell styler still has it. Maybe I bought an old bottle? But I was shocked to see it since my stylist chastised me and swore she could feel the silicone in my hair (even though I had a silicone free leave-in in it :lol:)

Thanks!

thecurlycamshow

I'm interested in this method since I'm tired of twisting my hair and my hair thrives on water. I use a little oil to sustain two days but I enjoy cowashing my hair.

Cherokee-n-Black

I'm interested in this method since I'm tired of twisting my hair and my hair thrives on water. I use a little oil to sustain two days but I enjoy cowashing my hair.

It's really simple. A cousin of mine hipped me to it (before I went to Devachan and was forced too read the Curly Girl Handbook on the complimentary iPad LOL). There's not much to it! Co-wash and put conditioner in and leave it. Curly girl says don't comb it, and tightly curly says comb it through. I've gotten better results with the no comb method, thus far. I've only tried each a couple of times though (actually only once with the comb thru)

~~HoneyComb~~

OK...lots to respond to! :D

Did you see MahoganyCurls? She's a 4a curly with the bomb hair. That's the one I was talking about earlier. If you saw someone else, please share!

!

Yes MahoganyCurls has gorgeous curly girl hair :yep:

Here is the YT I was refering to

I think this is when she first started the CG method---she may have had heat damage here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mskKJtbDXjg&list=UUTlKM8eFlCULNFtvVKbTkvw&index=69&feature=plcp

Here's her curls about a year later a noticeable difference--this is one of 3 videos in which she talks about the routine for those that are having trouble with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVrzX9lZgWI&list=UUTlKM8eFlCULNFtvVKbTkvw&index=6&feature=plcp

katote

I agree....I don't not want to spend every day or every other day styling my hair, and my wash n gos with just conditioner only do not last at all. Putting a little moisturizing gel on top of my hair helps me get more than 1 day hair.

It's not that I don't have the time to do my hair daily, I just don't want to :look:

Do you mind sharing what moisturizing gel you are using?

ChristmasCarol

It's really simple. A cousin of mine hipped me to it (before I went to Devachan and was forced too read the Curly Girl Handbook on the complimentary iPad LOL). There's not much to it! Co-wash and put conditioner in and leave it. Curly girl says don't comb it, and tightly curly says comb it through. I've gotten better results with the no comb method, thus far. I've only tried each a couple of times though (actually only once with the comb thru)

That's it????
I've been doing this for years, then. My bf has been doing this since the early 90s - I guess she shoulda gave it a name and wrote a book.

~~HoneyComb~~

Do you mind sharing what moisturizing gel you are using?

katote, I normally use Long Aid Curl Activator gel during the cooler months because it have glycerin in it---it causes my hair to swell in the warmer months, but it does nice in the cooler months.

Today, I used Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic Gel and I really like it. It has natural ingredients, no glycerin, but has left my curls soft. The texture of the gel is kinda like Kinky Curly http://shop.unclefunkysdaughter.com/store/pc/Curly-Magic-p11.htm

Cherokee-n-Black

That's it????
I've been doing this for years, then. My bf has been doing this since the early 90s - I guess she shoulda gave it a name and wrote a book.

Woot there it is! Lol! I actually never heard of it before but I have been in relaxer world all this time. Only naturals I knew were 3bs (not even c's!)

Cherokee-n-Black

katote, I normally use Long Aid Curl Activator gel during the cooler months because it have glycerin in it---it causes my hair to swell in the warmer months, but it does nice in the cooler months.

Today, I used Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic Gel and I really like it. It has natural ingredients, no glycerin, but has left my curls soft. The texture of the gel is kinda like Kinky Curly http://shop.unclefunkysdaughter.com/store/pc/Curly-Magic-p11.htm

No thanks button on my iPhone ...thanks!

cheryl26

I tried the tightly curly method once when someone posted about it a few months back. Didn't like it, left my stringy looking. Wayyyyy too much conditioner

SmilingElephant

I'm a modified CG. I DO alternate between sulfate shampoo and non-sulfate ones....i only use sulfate shampoos when my hair feels icky from product buildup.

I can't do conditioner only wash n go's....my hair just frizzes up like crazy when it dores and i am left looking like an apple tree:look:

I like cone-free conditioners...the only cones i use are in my Deep Conditioners..my co washers are all cone free....i don't like the idea that i'm using something to gently cleanse my hair/scalp...yet leave behind cones.:look:...plus they leave my scalp itchy if i do:ohwell:

Here's a link to the Curly Girl thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=543511&highlight=curly+girl+method

Cherokee-n-Black

I'm a modified CG. I DO alternate between sulfate shampoo and non-sulfate ones....i only use sulfate shampoos when my hair feels icky from product buildup.

I can't do conditioner only wash n go's....my hair just frizzes up like crazy when it dores and i am left looking like an apple tree:look:

I like cone-free conditioners...the only cones i use are in my Deep Conditioners..my co washers are all cone free....i don't like the idea that i'm using something to gently cleanse my hair/scalp...yet leave behind cones.:look:...plus they leave my scalp itchy if i do:ohwell:

Here's a link to the Curly Girl thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=543511&highlight=curly+girl+method

smiling elephant - I PROMISE I did a search! LOL. But that's what I was looking for! Thank you! (My search turned up everything but, I'm sure I was doing it wrong)

NaturalBoss

I've been doing the CG Method (actually started it before I read the book and didn't realize that's what I was doing). I leave my conditioner in and the only other product I use is a little gel on the edges. It's working for me so far.

Cherokee-n-Black

Yes MahoganyCurls has gorgeous curly girl hair :yep:

Here is the YT I was refering to

I think this is when she first started the CG method---she may have had heat damage here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mskKJtbDXjg&list=UUTlKM8eFlCULNFtvVKbTkvw&index=69&feature=plcp

Here's her curls about a year later a noticeable difference--this is one of 3 videos in which she talks about the routine for those that are having trouble with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVrzX9lZgWI&list=UUTlKM8eFlCULNFtvVKbTkvw&index=6&feature=plcp

Wow...that's a big difference. Looking forward to what my hair looks like next year! :D

virtuenow

I agree with whoever said these conditioners sound too wimpy for your hair. I found that all conditioners are too wimpy for my hair, except Aubrey Organics GPB/HSR. If you go to tightlycurly.com, you will notice that Terri even makes a list of conditioners that are too "wimpy" to leave in hair, called "rinsing conditioners". Aside from just that, a nice juicy oil (like castor/jojoba) used sparingly on top would be something I would do to make the cond'r more effective.

yardyspice

~~HoneyComb~~ What kind of gel do you use?

~~HoneyComb~~

@ ~~HoneyComb~~ What kind of gel do you use?

Hey yardyspice, during the cooler months I have success with Long Aid Curl Activator gel it has glycerin, but my hair likes glycerin in the cooler months with the lower humidity.

I just bought a product called Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic gel and I like it a lot :yep: It's made of natural ingredients, it doesn't have glycerin, but it gives shine and softness. There are lots of YT videos that show lots of curly's with different hair textures that love it!! I give it 5 stars.

Here's the website: http://unclefunkysdaughter.com/

~~HoneyComb~~

One thing that I notice about my hair now that it's longer is that I cannot do a wash n go unless I plan on cowashing everyday. If I go longer than that, my hair gets crazy tangled and it takes a while to detangle.

To keep my hair from getting messy I have to either fingercurl or 2 strand twists---Unless I cut my hair a lot, wash n gos are a no no for my hair texture.

Cherokee-n-Black

I agree with whoever said these conditioners sound too wimpy for your hair. I found that all conditioners are too wimpy for my hair, except Aubrey Organics GPB/HSR. If you go to tightlycurly.com, you will notice that Terri even makes a list of conditioners that are too "wimpy" to leave in hair, called "rinsing conditioners". Aside from just that, a nice juicy oil (like castor/jojoba) used sparingly on top would be something I would do to make the cond'r more effective.

Well, the two people mentioned here on YT both said the same thing. The hair will feel dry at first, but the more you do it, the more conditioned the hair will become. I'm skeptical, but willing to try. I got a lot of good tips from the link posted earlier. I plan on continuing to skip the gel and I may actually decide to use less conditioner to avoid the "waxy" feel. For now I will hold off on oil, only because they say it leads to product build up more quickly. But IF I really feel like some oil is in order, I will definitely try this. Also will probably put the AOGPB/HSR on the "To Try" list. Thanks!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

Same here. I like the look of conditioner only because it's big full and fluffy but it won't last long without gel and I'm not doing my hair more than once a week lol.