Those in cosmetology school...

qtgirl

How many hours does your state require, what state?
Do you go Full-time or Part-time?
How long will it take until you're finished?
What school do you go to?

I am thinking about going to cosmetology school and I'd have to go PT so I'm wondering approx. how long it would take until I was finished and wondering if I should do it now or wait until I move (it will depend on how long the certification takes).

Thanks

balisi

qtgirl said:
How many hours does your state require, what state?
Do you go Full-time or Part-time?
How long will it take until you're finished?
What school do you go to?

I am thinking about going to cosmetology school and I'd have to go PT so I'm wondering approx. how long it would take until I was finished and wondering if I should do it now or wait until I move (it will depend on how long the certification takes).

Thanks
I'm a recent cosmetology school graduate (thank God)! I attended one of the Empire Beauty Schools on a part-time basis (at night). It takes two years and some change to complete their curriculum, which is very structured and very good. My state requires 1500 credit and clock hours. Full-time Empire students attend for one year during the day. After completing all requirements, students must then apply to the state board of cosmetology to become licensed.

Dark&Lovley

I have had my License for almost about 9yrs I think here in Chgo it also took about 1500ceu hrs. I got my license through a program in h.s. that was my major so all 2-gether You can say I went for 3 long years till I graduated

qtgirl

Thanks y'all. I want to go to Aveda, too. For my state it's 1500 hours, too. 2 years and some change; part-time isn't too bad.

ElegantExotic

qtgirl said:
Thanks y'all. I want to go to Aveda, too. For my state it's 1500 hours, too. 2 years and some change; part-time isn't too bad.

I'm trying to decide between "Paul Mitchell The School" and "The Aveda Institute", but am leaning more towards Paul Mitchell. Here it is 1500 hrs as well, and will take a year.

caramelty

ladies who was interested in starting cosmetology school did you start yet? I am stuck between nails and hair. I picked nails b/c the program is shorter but my cousin made me realize that all I do is talk about hair. The program for hair is 1500 hours like most which I would be going part time which is 2 years. I am so undecided but if I start cosmetology I would be starting June 26th. I really have to make up my mind by wednesday. I REALLY LOVE HAIR I HAVE NEVER REALLY DEALT WITH NAILS BUT HAIR IS LIKE MY EVERYTHING! THE FIRST THING I LOOK AT IS SOMEONES HAIR.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
caramelty said:
ladies who was interested in starting cosmetology school did you start yet? I am stuck between nails and hair. I picked nails b/c the program is shorter but my cousin made me realize that all I do is talk about hair. The program for hair is 1500 hours like most which I would be going part time which is 2 years. I am so undecided but if I start cosmetology I would be starting June 26th. I really have to make up my mind by wednesday. I REALLY LOVE HAIR I HAVE NEVER REALLY DEALT WITH NAILS BUT HAIR IS LIKE MY EVERYTHING! THE FIRST THING I LOOK AT IS SOMEONES HAIR.

Seems to me like the decision is made. DO HAIR! It might take longer, but atleast you love it.

JLove74

MissBermuda said:
I'm trying to decide between "Paul Mitchell The School" and "The Aveda Institute", but am leaning more towards Paul Mitchell. Here it is 1500 hrs as well, and will take a year.

Aveda Institute takes 10 months, 1500 hrs & $15,00 tuition - close enough to a year I guess

Last edited:

RabiaElaine

I want to go as well...but I'm feel like I'm stuck between a rock and hard place...I couldn't go full time because of the bills and my job isn't all that flexible to allow me part time either...it would be very very very difficult.

Also I want to go to the Aveda Institute...during my research I found that their students get paid the highest straight out of the school. Anyway I am considering getting my real estate license (my other love) which will allow me a lot more flexibility and then maybe in a year or 2 I can start the Aveda Institute.

I think you have to complete 1000 hours in New York, but don't quote me on that :perplexed . As I understand it a full time student can finish in around six months and part time would take a year and a half.

balisi

caramelty said:
Not sure if this will help you decide, but nails are covered under the master of cosmetology program. So when all is said and done, you can do both hair and nails.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I want to start school in July. I would have to go part time although the dh says for me to quit my job and go full time (a whole other story). Here in MA you need 1,000 hours.

caramelty

That is good that you have someone to tell you to quit work and go full time that is what I want to do go full time and I would be done in 11 months instead of 2 years. I have been thinking about alot like getting fired and collect unemployment for 6 months and that would only leave me with 5 months left of the program. I really want to go full time but my options are very thin. 2 years just seems like a long time when i know that I could do the same thing for 11 months. I sit here at work and daydream all day that this isn't for me at ALL. Well like I said I have to make up my mind b/c hair starts June 26th and nails start July 17th.

crlsweetie912

1500 hrs in Maryland. I went full time. It was a good program. The school I attended is no longer open. Gordon Phillips Beauty School. I graduated in 1992. The clinical experience was invaluable. Teaching you how to please the customer and learn by doing is great. Any ladies thought about the apprentice option?

You would need to find a stylist to mentor you and sign up with the local State board as an apprentice. It takes longer, but you get more hands on experience and those that couldn't work and do full time school would have more flexibility.

nikki86

im starting empire in dec .... dec 11 to be exact
tution is ridiculous ( 18,895) i wish i could go to the paul mitchell school its cheaper but i don't drive and its to far away to catch the bus )

maryland u have to clock 1500 but at empire they want u to have 1530 for whatever reason

im going full time i couldn't stick with it if i streched it out for 2 years

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I am currently at Paul Mitchell here in Atlanta. If you go full time it's a 10 month program if you go part time it's an 18-24 month program. The tuition is $12,500 and the kit is $1,200. Georgia requires 1500 hours. I am hoping that I can do a few extra hours here and there and graduate a little sooner.

kit-kat

caramelty said:
That is good that you have someone to tell you to quit work and go full time that is what I want to do go full time and I would be done in 11 months instead of 2 years. I have been thinking about alot like getting fired and collect unemployment for 6 months and that would only leave me with 5 months left of the program. I really want to go full time but my options are very thin. 2 years just seems like a long time when i know that I could do the same thing for 11 months. I sit here at work and daydream all day that this isn't for me at ALL. Well like I said I have to make up my mind b/c hair starts June 26th and nails start July 17th.

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: