(!!!) In need of COSMETOLOGY CAREER Advice (!!!)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Now there's another school that I'm interested in that's located in Louisville, KY:

5. Trend Setters Academy of Beauty Culture:
10-18 month program
Tuition $9,800
Programs: Cosmetology 1800 hrs, Nail Technology 600 hrs, Instructor 1000 hrs
Small class sizes
Day and night classes
Successful career placement and numerous opportunities upon graduation

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Poohbear, I'm so excited for you! I wish you well on your journey! I've always loved anything dealing with hair and beauty, so I can understand your desire to get your license. Hopefully one day I have the guts to do it. My parents have always drilled in my head "You're going to college!" I never really had a choice in anything else. I used to do my neighbor's hair and some girls at school. One day, when my dad came home and saw me, he said again "You're going to college," and walked off. So, I really applaud you for fufilling your dream.

The only question I have is, what if some of the school's hair practices/beliefs conflict with your own? For instance, them thinking that using heat often is okay (even without heat protectant), relaxing root to tip, etc. There is so much good info that you've learned on hairboards, how do you apply that without conflicting with what "the school says."

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
TSUprincess04 said:
Poohbear, I'm so excited for you! I wish you well on your journey! I've always loved anything dealing with hair and beauty, so I can understand your desire to get your license. Hopefully one day I have the guts to do it. My parents have always drilled in my head "You're going to college!" I never really had a choice in anything else. I used to do my neighbor's hair and some girls at school. One day, when my dad came home and saw me, he said again "You're going to college," and walked off. So, I really applaud you for fufilling your dream.

The only question I have is, what if some of the school's hair practices/beliefs conflict with your own? For instance, them thinking that using heat often is okay (even without heat protectant), relaxing root to tip, etc. There is so much good info that you've learned on hairboards, how do you apply that without conflicting with what "the school says."
Yeah, my dad was the same way about enforcing that I go to a traditional 4-year college.

And to answer your question...I haven't really thought about that for real (probably because it's really not THAT big of a deal to me)...but as long as it's not my hair that's getting relaxers or frequent heat, I'm okay with learning how to safely use heat on other people's hair and safely applying relaxers. I'm also okay with starting out in a salon applying heat or relaxers for people. But as I gain more experience and want to start doing hair myself and open my own salon, I will probably specialize in natural hair care or something of that nature. ;)

silvergirl

congrats on your decision.

do make sure to get your journeyman. the ability to be your own boss and start your own salon is where youll find the most sucess. good luck!

balisi

TSUprincess04 said:

It's too bad that your parents are not supportive of you pursuing a career in cosmetology. Unfortunately, it is a profession that is not respected by most. I remember when I would tell certain folks about my plans to leave the corporate world in favor of a career in beauty and they would just give me this blank stare and have no comment or a lame one. Didn't matter, though. Once I knew it was my passion, nothing was going to stop me from pursuing it.

As far as the school's practices/beliefs: contrary to what many believe, poor hair practices are not taught in cosmetology schools. The schools are supposed to teach their students what it takes to pass the state board exam, and believe me, that does not include excessive heat usage or overlapping chemicals. What often happens is that once a stylist has obtained that license, they do what they want to do, not necessarily what the school taught them. In essence, some stylists give the schools a bad name. So this should not create a conflict for Poohbear.

Last edited:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
balisi said:
It's too bad that your parents are not supportive of you pursuing a career in cosmetology. Unfortunately, it is a profession that is not respected by most. I remember when I would tell certain folks about my plans to leave the corporate world in favor of a career in beauty and they would just give me this blank stare and have no comment or a lame one. Didn't matter, though. Once I knew it was my passion, nothing was going to stop me from pursuing it.

As far as the school's practices/beliefs: contrary to what many believe, poor hair practices are not taught in cosmetology schools. The schools are supposed to teach their students what it takes to pass the state board exam, and believe me, that does not include excessive heat usage or overlapping chemicals. What often happens is that once a stylist has obtained that license, they do what they want to do, not necessarily what the school taught them. In essence, some stylists give the schools a bad name. So this should not create a conflict for Poohbear.

Thanks for clearing that up!