(!!!) In need of COSMETOLOGY CAREER Advice (!!!)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I think I have come to a decision as to what I want to do with my life... I want to go back to school to get my cosmetology license. I am sick and tired of the corporate life of sitting behind a computer in a cubicle for 8 hours a day. I went to school for accounting and have an MBA degree, and I'm sitting here doing mindless copying and pasting all day wasting my life away in a cubicle. I thought about nursing but I have decided nursing is probably not for me after hearing all these horrible stories from my sister who works with nurses in the ER everyday.

I want to see different people and interact with more people and do something fun, creative, and challenging. I feel like hair styling and anything that deals with beauty is my passion. That's all I talk about and read about and I have developed a great interest in this field over the years.

My goal is to maybe start off working in a salon (preferrably an Aveda salon). As I gain more experience, I would like to open up my own salon and spa, and hire my own stylists, estheticians, etc. and sell other stuff related to hair, skin, beauty, and health. Since I've always had an interest in writing ever since I was a little girl, I'm thinking about selling books as well.

So I have 4 schools in mind. By the way, I live in Louisville, KY...I need your help in deciding...

1. Aveda Frederic's Institute in Cincinnati, OH:
10.5 month program
Tuition $14,000
Programs: Cosmetology 1500 hrs, Nail Esthetics 300 hrs, Managing Cosmetology 300 hrs, Managing Esthiology 750 hrs, Spa- Esthetician and Nail Esthetics 900 hrs
Class size: 24 students
1:12 teacher/student ratio
99% career placement

2. The Hair Design School in Louisville:
13 month program
Tuition $11,000
Programs: Cosmetology 1800 hrs, Nail Technology 600 hrs, Esthetics 1000 hrs, Instructor 1000 hrs
No guarantee career placement after graduating

3. Donta School of Beauty in Louisville:
15 months
Tuition $8,000
Programs: Cosmetology 1800 hrs, Manicuring 600 hrs, Apprentice Instructor 1000 hrs

4. Jefferson Technical College in Louisville:
Cost of Attending: In-state, living on campus: $2466 or In-state, living with family: $3748
I'm not sure about the details of their program... I've been trying to call them and have not been able to get through to anyone.

I would love to go to the Aveda Institute but I live 1-2 hours away and classes are Tuesday through Saturday for 8 hours each day. They have open enrollment for January 2008 and April 2008. I'm thinking about going during April 2008 since my apartment lease ends in March 2008. I could find a place up there and move during that time.

The Hair Design School would be quick and convenient since it's in my home city, but I'm afraid I will not get as good of an education or exposure to other aspects of beauty from this school as I would from Aveda. The Hair Design School only has hair and nail programs. The Aveda Institute incorporates everything such as massages, hair, skin, nails, makeup, anything you can do in a salon and spa!

And here are some other questions I wanted to ask...
Does it really matter what school you go to?
Is getting the cosmetology license what really counts?
Is Aveda really the best of the best?
Do you really make more money if you come from an Aveda Institute?

I have so many questions in my head right now. If any of you ladies have any information, suggestions, or advice, please share. I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

klb120475

Wow, good for you! Glory to God! I figured you would be making a career change soon, the corporate world was getting on your nerves too much. :lol:

You may wanna pm Don'tspeakdefeat...I think she's in cometology school.:grin:

locabouthair

Hey Poohbear. Just wanted to tell you good luck with everything! I love hearing about people going after their dreams.:)

Ms. Cleo

One route you can take if money is a factor is go to your local school. Technical or community colleges are usually more reputable than a standalone school. At most tech/community colleges English, Math, and I think Psych, are part of the course requirements. The state board sets the standard for the theory and practical work, not the school. There are hours set for each component, i.e., facials, relaxers, perms, haircoloring, etc. You must do x number of wash and sets, pedicures, manicures, etc. You are taught these things so you can sit for the state board test.

After you get your basic license, then you can go back to school for your Master Cosmetology license. That is usually when people go to schools like Aveda, Dudley, Vidal Sasson, etc. You are really taught to use their methods of haircare, not basic cosmetology. In most states there are levels of cosmetology, operator I, operator II, and Master. It depends on the state you are in.

Keep in mind, the problem with many stylist is that they stagnate. They do not keep up with continuing education. If this is your chosen field you must continue to educate yourself. I would suggest starting with your state board website and then asking questions at the school. Go during cosmetology clinic hours and get a pedicure or manicure and ask questions while you are there. Watch how the teachers interact with students. Depending on what state you are in, when it comes to Black hair care, you are on your own. Theory does not delve into our specific needs.

Hope this helps some!

locabouthair

i dont know if she is a member here anymore but sweetpeadst(sp?) was goig to costmetology school. maybe you can pm her?

Ms. Cleo

Oh yeah, congratulations with whichever choice you make! You already have a headstart and that will be in your favor.

Energist

Poohbear said:

I have so many questions in my head right now. If any of you ladies have any information, suggestions, or advice, please share. I would greatly appreciate it.

Wonderful! Wonderful! I'm so happy for you.

-The school matters if you will be working at an upscale salon IMO
-Cosmetology license is important to have especially if you are working in another salon or have your own salon and are doing work in it. If you are working for an agency I have found that it doesn't really matter very much! Well not in NY atleast. Also you just want that insurance just incase something goes wrong and someone tries to sue you, which will be very bad if you can't prove that you are a trained and certified expert. So along with having a cosmetology degree it is also best to insure yourself!
-I have heard wonderful things about Aveda. I got my license in NY at a very reputable school, but who knows things could have changed now and maybe Aveda is the best even there now :)
-I'll save the Aveda questions for the Aveda graduates ;)

Best of Luck!!!!

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

I say go for it!! I felt the same way as you did and I enrolled in Cosmetology school last year Dec and still going strong. You can't go wrong in learning a skill because you can always utilize it to make extra money.

Make sure you get all the info that you can get from each school that you have an interest in and then compare everything including the tuition, course, atmosphere etc. before you make the final decision.

so1913

You are doing one of the things I wish I had the guts/nerve/courage to do :( Best of luck Pooh!!!

preciousjewel76

so1913 said:
You are doing one of the things I wish I had the guts/nerve/courage to do :( Best of luck Pooh!!!

Ditto! I think you could really find your niche, too, if you specialized in healthy haircare and not just "styling", like so many cosmetologists do. And Lord knows we need more stylists out there who can care for natural hair.

Best of luck to you on whatever you decide!:D

crlsweetie912

I would say of the choices, go with Aveda. The opportunities will be there for advancement and continuing education and you will probably get a better job to start with. When you first start out after you get your license, it's all about building up your clientle. With your foot in the door at Aveda, you will have a better shot at building clientle quickly. More than likely, you will get the "walk in" clients and build from there.

In my area, there was nothing other than the standard school. (like the second one you listed) so I went there. I don't think that they are even in business anymore. But it was a GREAT learning experience. I loved it. Especially clinical days when we really worked on clients. CONGRATULATIONS! I am working on getting my license back and I will keep you in my prayers!!!

bLackButtaFly

preciousjewel76 said:
Ditto! I think you could really find your niche, too, if you specialized in healthy haircare and not just "styling", like so many cosmetologists do. And Lord knows we need more stylists out there who can care for natural hair.

I wish I could do this too! How awesome! I have no advice, but I wish you all the best of luck. I hope everything works out!

glamazon386

preciousjewel76 said:

I agree with this. If you are good, and your clients have healthy growing hair, the clients will come. No doubt about that. Best of Luck Pooh, and be sure to let us know what you decide.

I also think that going to the Aveda school would be the best considering you'd be getting so much more than hair care especially if you eventually want to open a spa that specializes in all of those things they're offering.

bellesocialite

I have nothing to contribute other than GOOD LUCK! I admire the fact you want to go off and do something more you mind more fulfilling.

SparklingFlame

While I cant actually offer you any advice on this I just wanted to come in and say I'm proud of your for deciding to do something that you like and for making a step in that direction. That takes a lot of courage and I applaud you! :clap:

Go 'head Pooh!

hOnii

I don't think that you would necessarily need to go for the most expensive, that being Aveda. While it is very reputable, it's not hard to find a job in the field of hairstyling at all once you have your license. Most salons are always hiring new stylists because it's not something that everyone has qualifications for. It would be good to maybe go for a job as a receptionist, or an assistant while you are in school (that is also very easy if you are a cosmet. student), and then they will take you in after you have completed your training.

Lady Esquire

congratulations on your career decision! :clap: :clap: :clap: i grew up in my mom's salons and it is a fun place to be with all the different personalities and girl talk! two out of three of my sister are stylists too...the world needs more "knowledgeable" stylists....you seem to have the personality to take full advantage of that environment. plus your accounting background will help you keep the books in order. God bless!

Poohbear

Energist said:
Wonderful! Wonderful! I'm so happy for you.

-The school matters if you will be working at an upscale salon IMO
-Cosmetology license is important to have especially if you are working in another salon or have your own salon and are doing work in it. If you are working for an agency I have found that it doesn't really matter very much! Well not in NY atleast. Also you just want that insurance just incase something goes wrong and someone tries to sue you, which will be very bad if you can't prove that you are a trained and certified expert. So along with having a cosmetology degree it is also best to insure yourself!
-I have heard wonderful things about Aveda. I got my license in NY at a very reputable school, but who knows things could have changed now and maybe Aveda is the best even there now :)
-I'll save the Aveda questions for the Aveda graduates ;)

Best of Luck!!!!
Thanks Energist! The Hair Design School that I mentioned above is a very reputable hair school here in Kentucky. It has 6 schools in KY (4 in Louisville, 1 in Elizabethtown, and 1 in Florence). I called an Aveda salon here in Louisville and asked what schools they would recommend for someone interested in getting their cosmetology license, and she said The Hair Design School first. Then she said an Aveda Institute but there aren't any in KY.

Besides that, I am going to set up a time to meet with someone at the Hair Design School and observe a few of their classes. I'm also going to take a tour of the Aveda Institute in Cincinnati one Saturday to see what it's all about as well. I'm also waiting to here back from the technical school as well. Then I'll make my decision. ;)

Poohbear

Ms. Cleo said:
One route you can take if money is a factor is go to your local school. Technical or community colleges are usually more reputable than a standalone school. At most tech/community colleges English, Math, and I think Psych, are part of the course requirements. The state board sets the standard for the theory and practical work, not the school. There are hours set for each component, i.e., facials, relaxers, perms, haircoloring, etc. You must do x number of wash and sets, pedicures, manicures, etc. You are taught these things so you can sit for the state board test.

After you get your basic license, then you can go back to school for your Master Cosmetology license. That is usually when people go to schools like Aveda, Dudley, Vidal Sasson, etc. You are really taught to use their methods of haircare, not basic cosmetology. In most states there are levels of cosmetology, operator I, operator II, and Master. It depends on the state you are in.

Keep in mind, the problem with many stylist is that they stagnate. They do not keep up with continuing education. If this is your chosen field you must continue to educate yourself. I would suggest starting with your state board website and then asking questions at the school. Go during cosmetology clinic hours and get a pedicure or manicure and ask questions while you are there. Watch how the teachers interact with students. Depending on what state you are in, when it comes to Black hair care, you are on your own. Theory does not delve into our specific needs.

Hope this helps some!
Thank you so much Ms. Cleo...that sounds like a great idea! ...If only this guy from the technical school would return my call!!! :look:

If I step foot into this career, I will surely continue to educate myself...especially since this is a field that I am very interested in. I love to learn and do new things all the time. :)

secretdiamond

Just wanted to say good luck!! And I'm happy you are pursuing your passion.

Plus, given the fact you want to open up spas and stuff, your MBA degree will come in handy afterall! You already have the business skills needed and now you are going after the other aspect of it. IMO, this was all in God's plan!

MizAvalon

Ms. Cleo said:
Keep in mind, the problem with many stylist is that they stagnate. They do not keep up with continuing education.

And this right here explains why most of them have no idea what they're doing or talking about.

I can't believe that it isn't mandatory for them to re-up every few years.:mad:

lildhe

Hey poohbear. we r on the same page. I looked into Aveda and they are pricey. I decided that i will enroll in a natural hair care course and go from there. Go luck !!!

Poohbear

Here is the website for The Hair Design School: http://www.hairdesignschool.com/

It looks like they do more than just hair and nails as well. They offer day and evening classes. And I won't have to wait to enroll into this program like I would have to for Aveda. The Hair Design School has programs that start every 6 weeks. Plus, I won't have to go through the stress of moving to Cincinnati or near Cincinnati. I've only been in my current apartment since March 2007 and it's been a joy living with my sister and nephew. I think I might just go to this school and learn as much as possible and network in order to be really successful and marketable. :)

balisi

MizAvalon said:
And this right here explains why most of them have no idea what they're doing or talking about.

I can't believe that it isn't mandatory for them to re-up every few years.:mad:
In many states it IS mandatory. However, some stylists take just enough classes to meet the bare minimum.

Poohbear, my advice to you is to check out your state's board of cosmetology requirements for licensure. Make sure that the school you choose is accredited, preferably by NACCAS. Whatever school you attend will basically teach you what you must know in order to pass the state board exam. You do get hands on experience while in school, but your REAL learning comes from experience in the real world salon, not so much in school. Schools such as The Aveda Institute carry lots of prestige because of the name, but in the end, it may not necessarily be the best choice for you. In Georgia, passing the state board exam earns one the title of Master Cosmetologist. There are no varying levels of cosmetologist here. Your state might be different.

The school from which I graduated actually did teach a bit about so-called "ethnic" hair in terms of cornrows, flat twists, relaxers, perms, and extensions. Of course, it is still up to you to seek out further knowledge outside of your chosen school's curriculum. Attend as many hair shows as you can, starting now. Subscribe to at least one trade publication, such as Modern Salon.

Congratulations on your decision! As long as hair is your passion, you will have a wonderful career ahead of you. Stay humble. Know that you must start small and work your way up.

Last edited:

Poohbear

balisi said:
In many states it IS mandatory. However, some stylists take just enough classes to meet the bare minimum.

Poohbear, my advice to you is to check out your state's board of cosmetology requirements for licensure. Make sure that the school you choose is accredited, preferably by NACCAS. Whatever school you attend will basically teach you what you must know in order to pass the state board exam. You do get hands on experience while in school, but your REAL learning comes from experience in the real world salon, not so much in school. Schools such as The Aveda Institute carry lots of prestige because of the name, but in the end, it may not necessarily be the best choice for you. In Georgia, passing the state board exam earns one the title of Master Cosmetologist. There are no varying levels of cosmetologist here. Your state might be different.

The school from which I graduated actually did teach a bit about so-called "ethnic" hair in terms of cornrows, flat twists, relaxers, perms, and extensions. Of course, it is still up to you to seek out further knowledge outside of your chosen school's curriculum. Attend as many hair shows as you can, starting now. Subscribe to at least one trade publication, such as Modern Salon.

Congratulations on your decision! As long as hair is your passion, you will have a wonderful career ahead of you. Stay humble. Know that you must start small and work your way up.

Thanks balisi!

I went to this site: http://www.naccas.org/schools/new/searchResults.html?name=&city=louisville&state=ky&zip=&courses=&member=A and found out that The Hair Design School and the Donta School of Beauty Culture are both accredited by the NACCAS!!!! :) The Jefferson Technical College is not listed.

tkj25

Congratulations Poohbear on your decision! Now I'll know where to go and get my hair done when I visit my family in E-town.:D

kally

Poohbear said:
I think I have come to a decision as to what I want to do with my life... I want to go back to school to get my cosmetology license. I am sick and tired of the corporate life of sitting behind a computer in a cubicle for 8 hours a day. I went to school for accounting and have an MBA degree, and I'm sitting here doing mindless copying and pasting all day wasting my life away in a cubicle. I thought about nursing but I have decided nursing is probably not for me after hearing all these horrible stories from my sister who works with nurses in the ER everyday.

I want to see different people and interact with more people and do something fun, creative, and challenging. I feel like hair styling and anything that deals with beauty is my passion. That's all I talk about and read about and I have developed a great interest in this field over the years.

My goal is to maybe start off working in a salon (preferrably an Aveda salon). As I gain more experience, I would like to open up my own salon and spa, and hire my own stylists, estheticians, etc. and sell other stuff related to hair, skin, beauty, and health. Since I've always had an interest in writing ever since I was a little girl, I'm thinking about selling books as well.

So I have 4 schools in mind. By the way, I live in Louisville, KY...I need your help in deciding...

[B]1. Aveda Frederic's Institute in Cincinnati, OH: 10.5 month program, Tuition $14,000. Class size: 24 students, 1:12 teacher/student ratio, 99% career placement[/B]
2. The Hair Design School in Louisville: 13 month program, Tuition $11,000. No guarantee career after graduating

3. Donta School of Beauty in Louisville: 15 months, $8,000 (I do not know much about this school)

4. Jefferson Technical College in Louisville: $2,000-3,000 ... I saw this amount online but I'm not sure about the details of their program.., I've been trying to call them and have not been able to get through to anyone.

I would love to go to the Aveda Institute but I live 1-2 hours away and classes are Tuesday through Saturday for 8 hours each day. They have open enrollment for January 2008 and April 2008. I'm thinking about going during April 2008 since my apartment lease ends in March 2008. I could find a place up there and move during that time.

The Hair Design School would be quick and convenient since it's in my home city, but I'm afraid I will not get as good of an education or exposure to other aspects of beauty from this school as I would from Aveda. The Hair Design School only has hair and nail programs. The Aveda Institute incorporates everything such as massages, hair, skin, nails, makeup, anything you can do in a salon and spa!

oh so thats what that is. I see that building all the time. I thought it was the warehouse or something.

Id say follow your heart. I agree with the other go to the best school.

Last edited:

divinefavor

Congratulations Poohbear on your decision to follow your passion!!! I'm excited for you, you even make me want to consider going this route. Although, I really don't want to work in a shop, I'd just rather have a few clients that come to my home.

Like you I am so sick of Corporate America! My undergrad is in Finance and I will be finishing up my MBA in December.