Save Money in 2007: Go to a Cosmetology School for Salon Services

metamorfhosis

Hello Ladies-:)

Have you ever had services done at a cosmetology school? Let me tell you, I have saved a lot of money:yay: going to a cosmetology school. I get a wash and set for $6. And the student does as good of a job as a professional stylist. I even get my relaxers done by the students for $15. I am not scared of the students with the relaxer.:thumbsup: The instructor is right there "coaching" the student. Plus, I figure they can do a better job than me, get the back of my head better, and rinse the relaxer out properly.

I wouldn't recommend getting a haircut or trim at a cosmetology school. I had one student that messed up my layers. But I will say this, the students listen to you (probably better than a professional). And you can always get the instructor (in most cases) to trim or cut your hair.

I went today to get a wash and set. The student did an excellent job. I was even able to use my own shampoo and conditioner (NTM). The only thing I had to tell her to do was to comb my hair out after the shampoo with a WIDE tooth comb instead of a FINE tooth comb.:nono: (Thanks to my girls!):wave:

What has your experience been like with a cosmetoglogy school?

shunta

You know what? Thats an excellent idea. Im in need of a retouch right about now, too.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

I too go to the beauty school to get my a hurr did:D I can get a wash and set for 8 bucks including tip. I have had relaxers done there too with much success. I bring my own stuff most of the time and I enjoy talking to the students. I ask them questions sometimes about my rollersets.

Lusa

Whenever I need a wash and set, I take a short trip to the cosmetology school down the street. I take all my own products and combs, and you're right about them listening to you a little more attentively than a licensed stylist. And it only costs $5.

I don't get any chemical treatments there though because only one women does that for me now, and besides not a lot of these schools in my area focus on black hair care. So, I am not having a newbie putting any chemicals on my hair. I may as well self relax.

The Girl

Yeah I am one of the silly billies that got a cut there. It wasnt that bad but I didnt really care whether I had hair or not (I could just get a weave right?)

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

I am a newbie student at Cosmetology school and I am not surprised that you had an excellent experience. I have observed the advanced students on the floor and they do an amazing job. I have learn that to be a sucessful cosmetologist 80% is based on your customer service while only 20% is based on your technical skills. We are not only trained to do hair but also trained how to communicate effectively with your clients.

Glitter

I almost did this when I got my eyebrows done. At the last second, I chickened out from going to the Aveda training school and went to a professional. She was pretty good but not the best waxing I've had. The pro charged $15+ tip while the student fee was $10 and they aren't allowed to accept tips. I could have saved myself a couple of dollars. Plus, I found out that at the Aveda school, you get your choice of a free facial or a free massage when you come in for your treatments. I was so mad at myself

When I move to NYC in a few months, I hope to hook up with a school to get my hair washed every once in awhile. Nothing like a true salon experience at the fraction of the cost.

If you guys don't mind sharing, which cosmetology schools did you go? Never hurts to give good publicity when there's good service.

metamorfhosis

IvyHair-

I go to two schools. One is Mitchell's and the other is the cosmetology school at my local community college.

One school won't do a relaxer because my hair has highlights but the other one will. One school doesn't flat iron my hair because they don't think they can get it straight but the other school gets it bone straight. I am happy that I have two schools to chose from because my hair needs get met. :)

PeopleTalkDaily

This is a great idea...
I may think about this next year.

If anyone knows of any good ones in the MD/DC/VA please post.

thanks

metamorfhosis

Mars Reiko-

When I go to the cosmetology school at the community college, I go in the evening. There is a line when I go there. The shop opens at 7:00pm and I am there around 5:30pm so that I know that I will be serviced. There are probably 6 students at night and maybe 10 clients. Most of the clients just get rollersets so some of the students double up. During the day class, it is easier to show up and get serviced in a matter of minutes especially since there are more students during the day.

When I go to Mitchell's Hair Academy, I can pretty much show up between 8am-2:30pm and get serviced. They take their last client at 2:30pm and close at 5:00pm. While there are always students on the floor, it's a bad time to go at lunch because the students do get a lunch break.

You could call your local cosmetology school and ask about their policy.(Make sure you ask them when they take their last client). I haven't heard of a school that accepts appointments so chances are you will be taken as a "walk in". I'm not sure about the Aveda Institute's policy. I was looking at their website and didn't see anything about appointments.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I will never again go to a cosmetology school. I'm sure that they women/men there do good work but I'm not risking it. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. My first and only time was a disaster...

motherx2esq

I thought I was the only one. Both my daughter and I go to the beauty school up the street from our home. My daughter use to get a wash, deep conditioner, blow, press and cute style for like $16. I get a wash and set for $8. But when I am stretching I go to the Dominican Salon where I pay $15. I love going to those girls at the school. They are so nice and they do listen. Yep ladies I would say hit up you local cosmetology school!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I was going to say something like this, I guess you have to pick and choose what services to allow them to do, because it's like rush and roullette going in you never know who you may get, and when I was in school we (the students) all knew who didn't know nothing about doing hair. Unfortunetly some pple can go to school, but will never have the skills it takes to get the job done. If I did go to salons or schools to get my hair done, scissors and chemical services would be out of ? for me unless I knew for sure or had a good experience with one of the students at that particular school and they allowed you to get the same student every time (I've heard some schools will allow this so that's a thumbs up).

I remember this girl jacked this ladies hair cut up so bad she left shaved in the back when she only wanted a layered cut.
*Bre~Bre* said:
I will never again go to a cosmetology school. I'm sure that they women/men there do good work but I'm not risking it. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. My first and only time was a disaster...

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Oh Hell NAW :ohwell:
BeautifulWideEyes said:
I was going to say something like this, I guess you have to pick and choose what services to allow them to do, because it's like rush and roullette going in you never know who you may get, and when I was in school we (the students) all knew who didn't know nothing about doing hair. Unfortunetly some pple can go to school, but will never have the skills it takes to get the job done. If I did go to salons or schools to get my hair done, scissors and chemical services would be out of ? for me unless I knew for sure or had a good experience with one of the students at that particular school and they allowed you to get the same student every time (I've heard some schools will allow this so that's a thumbs up).

I remember this girl jacked this ladies hair cut up so bad she left shaved in the back when she only wanted a layered cut.[/quote]

metamorfhosis

*Bre~Bre*-

What was so bad about your experience? Why was it a disaster? Could this same thing happen if you went to a professional?

czyfaith77

metamorfhosis said:
Hi again-

I have heard rave reviews about Aveda. They have "cosmetology" schools in many of the major cities. Here is the directory--->Locate an Aveda Institute

I will have my color touch up in May there. Sadly, the closest one is an hour away but I have some other things I could do there as well. I hear that Aveda does really good jobs on color and going to the school even under a master student would be a whole lot better than a $135.00 color job at the salon specializing in Aveda hair care and products five minutes away :ohwell: .
Plus they tend to have a better reputation for their service than most with exception to Dudley's. But I really want to try Aveda hair color.