This aint gonna work out...

What do you think is healthier

• Going natural and using direct heat weekly... (maybe more :-/)

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Relaxing (maybe texlaxing) every 12 weeks or more with limited direct heat, mainly rollersets

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • A alternative method... Please specify in post

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I might be in the minority here, but I believe that people can have the best of both worlds. I am natural and I wear my hair straight on most weekends. Mon-Thurs I cowash and Thrusday nights I wash/DC/flat iron. This has worked ok for me. Some weekends I skip straightening but my hair still seems healthy and is as thick as it has ever been. There are many other ladies here who are natural/transitioning and wear their hair straight as well. I think as long as you take good care of your hair in between time you should be ok. Make sure to moisturize, protect the ends and wear a heat protectant when you straighten.

No I completely agree that this can work. I'm planning on reaching my goal length and then transitioning to natural, straightening bi-weekly like I used to do when I was natural. My hair was better off then, and I just don't like the risk I take when texturizing. I'm waiting till I reach my goal length because it's easier for me to retain length by rollersetting in the meantime.

I might be in the minority here, but I believe that people can have the best of both worlds. I am natural and I wear my hair straight on most weekends. Mon-Thurs I cowash and Thrusday nights I wash/DC/flat iron. This has worked ok for me. Some weekends I skip straightening but my hair still seems healthy and is as thick as it has ever been. There are many other ladies here who are natural/transitioning and wear their hair straight as well. I think as long as you take good care of your hair in between time you should be ok. Make sure to moisturize, protect the ends and wear a heat protectant when you straighten.

I agree, and there are a couple of naturals who straighten weekly. I do not straighten weekly (more like once a month), but diff strokes for diff folks. I would suggest getting it rollerset first and then either blow dry or flatiron the roots on low setting of course with heat protectant. Good luck in your decision.

And cosign on your tat!

do whatever you have to do to lessen how much heat you use. but are you sure that you will really use heat that much if you go natural?! when was the last time you were natural, in childhood or as an adult? you might just need some ideas on different styles or products or methods for taking care of your natural hair.... if you relax now you'll never know if being natural was really the better option. you'll never know until you actually do it, it's hard to know while you are transitioning because dealing with 2 completely different textures is very frustrating...

No I completely agree that this can work. I'm planning on reaching my goal length and then transitioning to natural, straightening bi-weekly like I used to do when I was natural. My hair was better off then, and I just don't like the risk I take when texturizing. I'm waiting till I reach my goal length because it's easier for me to retain length by rollersetting in the meantime.

How do you rollerset while natural... My hair is neck length and when i tried this weekend it was a disaster... I flat ironed my roots but it still looked weird... (dont tell Tee I used a flat iron... it was really low:ohwell:)

do whatever you have to do to lessen how much heat you use. but are you sure that you will really use heat that much if you go natural?! when was the last time you were natural, in childhood or as an adult? you might just need some ideas on different styles or products or methods for taking care of your natural hair.... if you relax now you'll never know if being natural was really the better option. you'll never know until you actually do it, it's hard to know while you are transitioning because dealing with 2 completely different textures is very frustrating...

I was natural until 7th grade (about 13) then my sophomore year of college (3yrs ago). My hair was in far worse condition then tho... i colored it ever week. so Thats why i thought i could do it but it is becoming a hassle. I said i would transition at neck length and jus keep maintaining neck length til it was all out but i dont know now. Someone said before that you have to be ready to be natural and i completely agree. Mentally I am ready but i get frustrated real quick so i guess emotionally I am not:spinning:

Thank you everyone for your help guys... Im still up in the air tho

Ladies, please don't burn me at the stake for this:gotroasted:, but I have to ask: what is texlaxing? I have heard that term so many times, and I still don't know what it is!!

MISS_CHEROKEE... do not put an ounce of relaxer in your hair:spank:(I had to use the smiley Tee uses on me)... It is absolutely gorgeous... I know you havent been here long either but your hair was one of the reasons i said I was gonna go natural... I love your curls:grin:...

I agree, and there are a couple of naturals who straighten weekly. I do not straighten weekly (more like once a month), but diff strokes for diff folks. I would suggest getting it rollerset first and then either blow dry or flatiron the roots on low setting of course with heat protectant. Good luck in your decision.

And cosign on your tat!

Thanks... my rollerset need to improve... I was really excited to do it too... I bought lacio lacio (sp?) and some NTM silk leave in... made a setting lotion of lotta body, distilled water, Infusium leave in and amla... and I put amla and cantu shea on my ends... and I used the mesh rollers... maybe I am doing to much???:look:

I think that it depends on how fast your hair is growing. If it's growing and retaining it's 1/2-1 inch each month and your hair is growing then, by all means.

And again, it depends on your hair texture as well. Even though White people have finer hair, they can blow dry their hair pretty much everyday and STILL have it grow.

With our hair texture, the majority of us cannot do that. So again, I'm all for no direct heat of any kind, especially on natural hair.

I agree with this. I mean to be honest, when I was a kid with natural hair, my hair was "nappy", and I don't mean in the "happy to be nappy" way either:lachen:

Now after being natural for like 9 years, my hair texture has completely changed! My hair is straighter than most women with relaxed hair :blush: Now why this happened or HOW it happened, I don't care, I'm loving it! (Although my mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother all had natural straight hair :perplexed)

So therefore I will never go back to a relaxer. Give your natural hair a chance, it might surprise you.

Thanks... my rollerset need to improve... I was really excited to do it too... I bought lacio lacio (sp?) and some NTM silk leave in... made a setting lotion of lotta body, distilled water, Infusium leave in and amla... and I put amla and cantu shea on my ends... and I used the mesh rollers... maybe I am doing to much???:look:

NO MESH. Get magnetic snap on rollers. I'm gonna see if I can find a pic. If you roll tight enough you should be able to get the ends straight and have to straighten only like 1/2 in at the roots.

2500966186454040_1.jpg

See... Thats what I wanted to do... but my hair is so thick and I am a sweater... I think Imma have to "refresh" the look. who knows. doest yours stay straight? Mine is 3c, its wont fro at all:nono:

yes maam it stays straight. During the week I cowash daily add leave in and slick my natural hair back with gel and wear a bun. I think the cowashing and low manipulation during week is what keeps my hair and scalp healthy.

NO MESH. Get magnetic snap on rollers. I'm gonna see if I can find a pic. If you roll tight enough you should be able to get the ends straight and have to straighten only like 1/2 in at the roots.

2500966186454040_1.jpg

I have Magnetic too but they were from when my hair was longer and I was fotki stalking:rolleyes: and saw alot of naturals and relaxed used mesh and loved them. who knows.. Ill try magnetic again...:spinning:

bumping for anymore opinions. esp on maintaining natural hair while straight. I was looking into mizani thermasmooth... anyone used it?

bumping for anymore opinions. esp on maintaining natural hair while straight. I was looking into mizani thermasmooth... anyone used it?

Hey girlie, you should join my "CBL goal" thread. You are almost at Collarbone Length :grin:

Again, their are only 3 ways I know how to straighten natural hair without a relaxer:

A hot comb

Blow Dryer

A flat Iron

Now again, depending on the type of hair texture you hair will depend on which method gets you the straightest results for the longest amount of time.

For example, a hot comb can change Afro-Texture hair into 1a hair almost :lol: But there is eventually damage plus the time and effort, etc.

So what is your hair type? And maybe that can help you decide what to better do for your natural hair if you want it straight.

Lemme add my 2cents because I doubt it'll be worth more than that :lachen: However, I have been thinking about this topic at length because I am 7mths post relaxer and in the transitioning mode. I did think that maybe it would be better to simply relax my hair because I intend to wear it straight almost all the time(except days at the beach, etc.). However, I don't think this is best for MY hair. My hair has done ok with the phyto relaxer, but considering that I was natural for a while before, I can tell the difference.
So, my plan is to continue rollersetting my hair, even when it's fully natural. After removing the rollers, I'll run a flatiron over the hair to further straighten. I have done several patch tests on various parts of my head and the result is silky straight hair that's still very moist and I don't think there will be any damage to my hair, especially b/c I'm a maniac about protein and DC.
I mean, almost all women of every race use heat on their hair and most do it everyday. Why can't a natural head use a flatiron once a week if she properly maintains her hair?
Oh, I found this lady's website on how she sets her natural hair and it's gorgeous!! I hope she doesn't mind: http://naturalstarlet.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album19&id=collage_002

Hey girlie, you should join my "CBL goal" thread. You are almost at Collarbone Length :grin:

Again, their are only 3 ways I know how to straighten natural hair without a relaxer:

A hot comb

Blow Dryer

A flat Iron

Now again, depending on the type of hair texture you hair will depend on which method gets you the straightest results for the longest amount of time.

For example, a hot comb can change Afro-Texture hair into 1a hair almost :lol: But there is eventually damage plus the time and effort, etc.

So what is your hair type? And maybe that can help you decide what to better do for your natural hair if you want it straight.

I think I am 3c... but I look at hair like Ms_Cherokee and she is 3c and I think her hair has a looser curl than me. so maybe a mix of 3c and 4a... any suggestions:drunk:

Back