Twisting hair trains your hair

tallnomad

Okay, so I've had another epiphany--i think! ;)

I have been thinking about double strand twists as a natural texturizer (NOT in terms of the crimps it makes) to your hair, but as a way to train your hair--loosening up the texture naturally which begins to form its own very distinct and defined ringlets and curls.

Years ago when I first went natural, I used to double strand twist my hair--keep it twisted a day or two and then untwist and wear it big. The style would last about ten days and then when it got really big, I would know it was time to wash.

I noticed that my hair seemed like it started to get trained. I remember once when water hit my big bush, it "relaxed" into what felt like ringlets and it was so much looser than normal. I hadn't used any new products---in fact, during this time I was a minimalist because I didn't know about hair boards or what to really do with natural hair. Because my hair had formed what felt like ringlet crimp things, I jumped out of the shower to look in the mirror. My hair had in fact ended up with these deep curl/wave/ringlet things. I was amazed because I had not noticed this before. I liked the look, but because I didn't have a lot of product, I didn't know how to maintain it.

Instead of continuing to experiment with this look and the newfound "looseness" or easier manageability, I went off to NYC and got a texturizer--bad mistake! This was not the silkener (which I like), but a random texturizer.

Anyways, I'm excited about this "epiphany." I am in the process of growing out my texturizer because I cannot afford to get silkeners anymore and I want to explore my natural options. I'm hoping I can retrain my hair.

Does this make sense to anyone? Anyone who twists--have you noticed that your hair is trained or is getting trained? Maybe braids are the same way--not sure? any thoughts?

Last edited:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I notice this when I take out my twist and was my hair, esp if I dont bother to detangle. My coils are more defined and some are a little bigger. Its temorary though and by the next day when I CW, my hair is back to normal. ::shrug:: Hair can be kinda weird

ClassicChic

I think there is some truth.

When I transitioned with braids/sew in's, I was telling my neighbor that my hair was very nappy and tightly coil. She said 'Oh that's just because your hair is just sitting there. Once you wear it out and comb it everyday, it won't be so tight.'

Last edited:

hopeful

I'm still too new to this to confirm your epiphany, but I can see how that could be possible.

tallnomad

thanks for the insight. i should've mentioned that I had been twisting my hair consistently (with a press or 2 in between) for a solid year.

caligirl

Well my hair has definitely been softer and more loosely curled since getting a press. It was like a natural "texturizer." I don't know if I'll get any more pressed though because I feel like I'm tempting fate.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Twisting my hair doesn't make it a looser hair texture. Whenever I do a twistout, it stays loosely defined for like one hour and then gradually turns into a poofy fro. When I wash it, my hair texture is still tight and kinky as can be. By the way, I don't press or straighten my hair, maybe that's why.

ClassicChic

Another reason I think there may be some truth is because think of little girls hair. We twist it and braid it. By doing so it is more manageable and doesn't shrink up as much as say someone who recently transitioned.

But it could depend on your hair too. We all know that hair has a mind of it's own.

alexei

There might be some truth to this.
I keep my hair in synthetic braids constantly.
I have noticed that my 4a/4b hair which usually has small S shaped waves, now has very defined spiral ends.
I think this is caused by braid b/c the curl pattern is not uniform on my strands. Strands can start out as an S then end up very defined.
I just figure that since the ends have spent the most time on my head, they have the most training.
Also, I usually leave my braids in for about 8 weeks.
Cool topic by the way.

hotshot

i think it does train your hair, just like wearing a puff everyday can train your hair too. since ive cut my hair I haven't stretched it once in six months and the kink is much different than when i had hair the same length that had been routinely twisted.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I think it's different for different types of hair. My hair cannot be trained to do anything LOL :lol:
Whatever I do it always goes back to the original texture.

scribblescrabble2

I have type 4 hair and I have been wearing twists almost non stop for around 5 yrs now. Twists haven't trained my hair to do anything. My hair is just as wild and nappy now as it was 5 years ago when I first started wearing them. :p

So I agree with FlowerHair completely.

kitchen_tician

I think there is some truth to this as far as training hair. I'm not completely natural yet, nor do I wear twists, but I do braid my hair. By wearing large braids my hair's waves are begining to clump together and is becoming easier to comb. I used to wear about 12 braids after washing, then 9, then 6, then 4, now 2. :)

dynamic1

I believe this might be possible for some. My stylist advised me to stop tieing my hair down at night because of the texture difference. The front flops and does not curl up as much as the back crown. This is partially because of the difference in the natural texture, but also due to the manipulation. She also told me, she can tell the parts of my hair that I don't manipulate as often while putting my hair in a bun.

tallnomad

wow! thanks ladies for the responses. interesting. i can't wait to start twisting again to see if i noticed my hair getting trained again. i've always considered my thick 4a/b hair to be pretty resistant to anything, but it really seemed like the twisting made an impact--especially when it came to combing it out--way easier.

i wonder if products have an impact too. one woman pm'd me and said that she doesn't use product to twist her hair and she has noticed that she has very defined spirals now that she didn't have before. hair is such a funny mystery. :ohwell:

ekomba

tiffcurl said:
Okay, so I've had another epiphany--i think! ;)

I have been thinking about double strand twists as a natural texturizer (NOT in terms of the crimps it makes) to your hair, but as a way to train your hair--loosening up the texture naturally which begins to form its own very distinct and defined ringlets and curls.

Years ago when I first went natural, I used to double strand twist my hair--keep it twisted a day or two and then untwist and wear it big. The style would last about ten days and then when it got really big, I would know it was time to wash.

I noticed that my hair seemed like it started to get trained. I remember once when water hit my big bush, it "relaxed" into what felt like ringlets and it was so much looser than normal. I hadn't used any new products---in fact, during this time I was a minimalist because I didn't know about hair boards or what to really do with natural hair. Because my hair had formed what felt like ringlet crimp things, I jumped out of the shower to look in the mirror. My hair had in fact ended up with these deep curl/wave/ringlet things. I was amazed because I had not noticed this before. I liked the look, but because I didn't have a lot of product, I didn't know how to maintain it.

Instead of continuing to experiment with this look and the newfound "looseness" or easier manageability, I went off to NYC and got a texturizer--bad mistake! This was not the silkener (which I like), but a random texturizer.

Anyways, I'm excited about this "epiphany." I am in the process of growing out my texturizer because I cannot afford to get silkeners anymore and I want to explore my natural options. I'm hoping I can retrain my hair.

Does this make sense to anyone? Anyone who twists--have you noticed that your hair is trained or is getting trained? Maybe braids are the same way--not sure? any thoughts?

There is some truth to it that s the way i sport my free form fro. i have a baa but i wash my hair then twist it and next day wear it out but separate every strand that s the only way i can do my fro to make it huge but my secret is mostly the cowash as it conditions the hair and make it easy to behave then every night i redo my twists and take them out in the morning and fluff the hair with my fingers