THIN HAIR LINE AND MICRO BRAIDS

TRYING2GROW

Should I get micro braids, if my hair line is already thin. Would it be o.k. if I get the braids pretty big.

SimpleBrooklyn

Hey!! In my opinion I do not think that you should get mirco braids...especially the big braids. Why? Here is my theory: Big braids will be heavy and cause stress to your already thinning hair line.

This is just one person's opinion, so you may want to wait and hear from more informed LHCF members.

I hope that helped.

RubyWoo

I would not recommended that you get microbraids. If you want braids, you're better off getting box braids. Each section should be no smaller than 1" and each braid no smaller than a pencil. The smaller the braid, the more tension and potential damage. Also, to minimize prevent breakage, you should also redo the braids at the hairline every two weeks. Also, make sure the braids aren't tight. You should try the crown and glory method as it promote safe and healthy haircare practices where braids are concerned. Check out the following link for more info on braid care and the crown and glory method.
http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

ETA: I use the crown and glory method when I get braids and always have great results. No breakage or thinning and I was able to retain my growth/length. Try searching 'crown and glory' and you'll find threads and some helpful tips from other members that employ this method/regimen as well.

Last edited:

hothair

If you've got a thin hairline i would be cautious about braids period, you may want to figure out why your hairline thinned- too tight ponies, wrapping, tight cornrows/ braids etc...then I would suggest you try to grow it back Africa's Best Hair Fertiliser worked for me followed by my sulphur mix (MTG, BT or even sulphur 8 should do) which thickened it up. If you DO want to do a style to hide it you could try a full head weave that has a fringe or braids or cornrows that come forward so there isn't as much tension pulling back on your hairline HTH

thefineprint

i agree with the other posters - i think micro's on a damaged hairline is just asking for trouble. why not put your hair in another form of protective style and nurse that hairline back to health first?

whitneysimone

If your hair line is already thinned AND if the cause of it was braids, then I would think the logical thing would be to leave braids alone for a while and give your hairline time to thickin out. If micros messed your hairline up, then thicker, heavier braids will only do more damage. I would take the suggestion of some of the other ladies and try different protective styles that limit stress and manipulation to your hairline.

P

patient1

A few thoughts. . .

Basically, the less stress on your hair line the better. My hairline is naturally fine-haired and thin. It's alway been that way. Problems came when braiders tried to "catch" everyone of those fine hairs.

If you can't resist the urge to braid I'd suggest larger partings with the least possible hair fed into each one. Same business with any type of extension (twists or braids).

If you wear your hair up in a ponytail or bun, I'd suggest you leave the first couple of rows out in the front and add them last. For instance, you could wrap them around the bun or bobby pin them in separately, etc. The trick is that you don't want the fragile areas to be a part of any potential tension.

Apply your treatment for the thinning at night and when you cover your hair with a satin wrap at night, make sure that there's not tension on that area.

p1

InJesusName

I am speaking from experience...DON'T DO IT GIRL!! I already had thin edges from micros then decided to get corn rows...my hair grew beautifully in the back, but my sides have suffered terribly. I am nearly BALD on my right side as a result of braids. If you are thinning on the sides, the best thing to do is baby those edges and get them stronger prior to putting any type of tension on them with braids. You may even want to use caution with sew ins if they require corn rows. Just a suggestion!

Nonie

I agree with the others: any braiding that involves adding hair to your own, only means more weight on your scalp and hence more risk of traction alopecia. And people do get a weak hairline just from styling (eg pulling hair back tightly), so your best bet is to leave your hairline alone. If you must wear extension braids, I would leave out the hair along your hairline. Hoping your braider can be gentle when not adding hair, you could do mini cornrows using your own hair only going back (like I did here), or single square plaits using your own hair and create bangs. Or if possible, do as someone else said: leave the hairline well alone and just hide it with the braids done on the rest of your hair.

But the most important thing about extension braids is that no matter how big they are, do not use more additional hair per section than the thickness of your own hair in that section.

Nonie

TRYING2GROW said:
Is kinky twist any different

I don't think it is. As long as additional hair (ie weight) is being incorporated into the style, then the same risks exist.