Natural Hair and Micro Braids

ilah

I've been planning to put in some micro braids to cut down on manipulation. I've had a few installs of micros before but I was transitioning at the time.

For natural ladies that get micros done I need your help on this one. Any assistance is always appreciated.

Do I need to blow dry/flat iron my hair before getting the braids put in? (Is reversion something I need to worry about while hair is in straight micro braids?) :look:

Nasdaq_Diva

Please just say NO to the micros! I've read nothing but horror stories about those things taking out edges. Such a small braid brings alot of tension to the follicle. Please reconsider.

I got my hair done in kinky twists/senegalese twists a couple times last year along with a weave. Each time, I don't apply any type of heat to my hair. I co-washed my hair a few times per week while in each of the styles. My hair of course was fuzzy.

Whatever you decide, please keep your scalp clean and your hair moisturized. No setbacks for 2011 please!

sj10460

Don't Come for me unless I send for you!
I think getting braids is a great idea. I am natural as well and braids are a great PS. You do not need to straighten your hair prior to having an install, but some people feel it's easier to braid. Personally, I like to braid with coarser hair. Braid extensions will help your hair grow if not put in too tight or too heavy, this solves the edges problem. I don't think the style matters, it's more important how they are done. Also, make sure you keep your scalp clean and moisturized. I suggest using either human hair or kanekalon Fiber hair

LovinLea

I blow dry. It just makes it easier to comb and neater.

As for the edges..you just have to make sure to get them redone.

trey21

I have micros in now. I made sure I went to a braider that I trusted. I learned a long time ago that it should not be a painful process. Prior to having my hair braided, I washed, deep conditioned and blow dryed. It has been 3 weeks and I plan to keep them in for another 5. I make sure to wash my scalp every week and moisturize my hair daily. I have seen braiders braid every bit of hair on the edges, my braider doesn't so there is not a lot of tension and pulling Normally I stick to wash and goes but it's too cold to even think about one. The braids are a nice break.

CurlyMoo

I wouldn't mind getting them for a few weeks but scared to death of losing my edges and the intense pain of having my hair and skin pulled all the way back so far that I can't move my lips and eyes.

ilah

Thank you for the love Nasdaq and I'm not being factitious. I really do appreciate you taking the time to warn a sista on some dangers.

I've heard those same horror stories but I've had micros before and have never had a problem with breakage, roots popping or anything like that.

The girl that I go to stays away from my edges so I've never had any proble with that either. I've tried the twists and ... unfortuneatley the look wasn't for me.

Last edited: