Problems with Micro Braids

sheenaarm

A couple of weeks ago I got micro braids and they where tight, but i have'nt had braids in years and just thought I was not use to them, but then bumps started to for around my hairline and then one of the braids fell out with the roots of my hair with it so I paniced and took out some of the braids around my hair line and found that alot of my hair is coming out by the root. What should I do to care for my hair ? Should I take the braids out or can I nurse my hair back to health with the braids still in because I just got my hair braided on sept 3 and paid $150 dollars I would hate to have to take them out.

Cooyah

If you plan on keeping your braids IMO I think you should sit with some conditioner on your hair for about an hour and then wash your hair to loosen up the braids. They are entirely to tight if they are pulling out your hair at the bulb. After they have loosened up some from washing, start spritzing your hair daily with water. Once your braids are sufficiently loosened continue to care for them properly.

Go on Robin's Site to learn proper techniques for wearing braids.

fattyfatfat

yes! take care of your hair immediately! I used to have hair come out from the root when I had braids in. But im nursing my hair back to health with surge plus 14 spray.

longhairluva

When I had this problem I said screw the time and money I spent I wanted to save my hair. I took mine out after two weeks and I lost a lot of my temples and my hairline. I still nursing them back to health.

C

chica_canella

sheenaarm said:
A couple of weeks ago I got micro braids and they where tight, but i have'nt had braids in years and just thought I was not use to them, but then bumps started to for around my hairline and then one of the braids fell out with the roots of my hair with it so I paniced and took out some of the braids around my hair line and found that alot of my hair is coming out by the root. What should I do to care for my hair ? Should I take the braids out or can I nurse my hair back to health with the braids still in because I just got my hair braided on sept 3 and paid $150 dollars I would hate to have to take them out.

I don't know if you know about Robin's site, growafrohairlong.com but she says that your braids should be no smaller than pencil size if you're trying to grow your hair out. Even if you're not, I wouldn't suspect that anyone was aiming for their hair to fall out. Anywho I have braids about the size of my pinky and my hair has been growing tremendously. I think braids are great but you just have to get the right size, not braid too tightly and condition and take care of them properly.:)

LondonDiva

I wouldn't even recommend washing or anything right now. What you need is Better Braids Un-Braid spray (This contains salycilic acids and helps loosen the debris) the hair at the base of the braids and leave for about 30 mins.

Take your time and remove all of the braids. After undoing each braid gently tease apart with your fingers any debris that may have formed at the base of the braid.

Afterwards section the hair with your fingers and finger comb, removing any knots and gently comb from tip to root with a wide tooth comb, don't be too forceful. Gently twist each section and move onto the next. until the whole head has been twisted and pinned up.

I'd recommend washing each of these sections seperatley and then doing a deep conditioner.

InJesusName

I had the same issue with micro braids and I made the mistake of leaving them in for 6 weeks because I did not want to waste my money. Ask yourself what's more important...your hair or your money. I am now essentially bald on both sides of my head where the braids pulled my hair out. I would take the braids out and start nursing your edges back to health immediately. I have had the braids out for a little over a month and still have yet to see my hair grow back even after lots of TLC. I just hope I have not permanently damaged my hair:ohwell: .

Radianthealth

I would take care of the set of micro braids that you currently have and enjoy it while you can...I would NOT get another set of micro braids until you have nursed your hairline back to full health.

If you look at my photos from June 2006, the left side of my hairline was almost gone due to wearing microbraids pulled back into tight ponytails. I haven't had braids since May 2006 and I won't be getting them again until I have a full hairline.

A lot of the ladies that responded to this post are in the thicken up your hairline challenge with me. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=89518&highlight=Hairline

You should join it has great tips, and my pictures are proof that babying your hairline really works.

Good Luck!

BrownSkin2

I had cornrows done by an African Shop last April. The braids were so tight that I looked Chinese and I literally had a headache. I kept those braids in half a day. I thought my hair was more important than the money spent at the time.