The Weaves techniques and tips thread/ Why all the Mystery??

RabiaElaine

Integrity said:
great thread!

Please give examples of high quality hair. or we just go for the most exüensiv and that is automatically the best?

No most expensive isn't always the best...but the best hair is generally not the cheapest. At the beginning of this thread I listed a couple different companies that I've learned about on another board. I'm currently using relaxed textured remy hair from www.extensions-plus.com . This hair is lovely as all of my post indicate. It acts just like my hair. From what I've learned from long time users it lasts a loooonnngggg time. One lady used the same set of hair for 3 years of consecutive use.

asummertyme

What is your favorite technique?

What other techniques have you used in the past?i have used the net/micorlace, method but in 2 diffren styles..both work for me...
Did it work well for you?yes they have...its pretty much the only method i stick with..

What type of hair is your favorite to use for weaves and can you reuse it?i use lugo's and mona hair..i just attempted to try other types of hair and i have been dissapointed..so i may venture out, but these are my staples..and yes, i reuse both brands of hair multiple times..

What techiques do you know about that you may share that others may not know about but may want to try?i dont have any secrests..i post my methods in my fotki album

What braid patterns do you use for a natural looking sewn in?
for curly full head/partial...strait back cornrows...for strait full head, i use braid the hair..parted down the middle, braids down from crown to ear and continue to braid to nape..
Any other information you would like to share.use coated thread..

CurliDiva

zoj2 said:
Do you ladies cut your tracks then sew them in, or just keep sewing without cutting? TIA.

I have to cut, I have a girlfriend who can sew the entire weft in without cutting, but when I tried this it became a lumpy mess. :eek: Come to think about it her weave are very puffy and looks like she has way too much hair on her head.

RabiaElaine

dontspeakdefeat said:
I cut my tracks.

I cut my tracks too! I thought about trying sewing it in without cutting, but I think it would end up looking to big, and my goal is to get the flattest most natural weave possible.

glamazon386

gorgeoushair said:
So after I tie the knot through the weft I go under the weft then through the braid?

You only need to tie a knot at the end not after every stitch. You should be going under the track as well as under the braid. You can damage your hair by cutting it with the thread if you go through the braid.

Oh yeah, ladies I don't cut my tracks I just flip it over and keep going on the next row. I don't like when those little ends unravel and stick up. That and I reuse my hair most of the time and it's a pain in the butt to have to piece together rows. They cut them at the salon though. Love that picture Asummertyme!

Last edited:

jadestar

Thanks, Ladies!!! This thread has been really informative. I've only done one sew-in, so I don't have anything to add to what's already been said, but I will try some of the better hair. Does anyone have any idea of the hair Brandy may be using on America's Got Talent? I'd like to try something like that, but not quite as long and bulky.

Also, I'd like to do a full head sew-in, without any of my hair out with kind if a side part. How would I do this without tracks showing?

glamazon386

jadestar said:
Thanks, Ladies!!! This thread has been really informative. I've only done one sew-in, so I don't have anything to add to what's already been said, but I will try some of the better hair. Does anyone have any idea of the hair Brandy may be using on America's Got Talent? I'd like to try something like that, but not quite as long and bulky.

Also, I'd like to do a full head sew-in, without any of my hair out with kind if a side part. How would I do this without tracks showing?

Sew it in a circle or get a closure. I've only had one full head and it was done at the salon. My hair was in a zig zag across the back and crown was cornrowed into a spiral. She just closed it off some kind of way at the top. But it was curly hair so it's easier to do than with straight hair. With straight hair it's usually finished off with some kind of bang. I haven't seen Brandy's hair so idk... Is it straight or curly hair? Oh yeah, Asummertyme is a pro at the full head weave though. She does her own and it looks great. I'm sure she can explain it better than I can.

Last edited:

CurliDiva

bmoreflyygirl said:
Sew it in a circle or get a closure. I've only had one full head and it was done at the salon. My hair was in a zig zag across the back and crown was cornrowed into a spiral. She just closed it off some kind of way at the top. But it was curly hair so it's easier to do than with straight hair. With straight hair it's usually finished off with some kind of bang. I haven't seen Brandy's hair so idk... Is it straight or curly hair? Oh yeah, Asummertyme is a pro at the full head weave though. She does her own and it looks great. I'm sure she can explain it better than I can.

I am still trying to prefect a closure with straight hair!

I try to tuck under, sew the weft and then sew the two top cornrows together. So you don't see a part nor the weft binding.

asummertyme

so have yall heard...people are sewing wigs on thier hair now...my friend has been doing this for a while, and i gotta tell ya ..i dont look half bad either...eliminates closing tops..i know that much..anyhoo..i brought my 1st human hair wig..cost me 75 bucks...i brought it so inbetween styles..i can wear the wig to cover my hair..i relly like it too..it doesnt look wiggy..i will post pics...i cut it to add layers and flat ironed it too..great inbetween braids/weaved style...i wont be sewing mines on though..

RabiaElaine

asummertyme said:
so have yall heard...people are sewing wigs on thier hair now...my friend has been doing this for a while, and i gotta tell ya ..i dont look half bad either...eliminates closing tops..i know that much..anyhoo..i brought my 1st human hair wig..cost me 75 bucks...i brought it so inbetween styles..i can wear the wig to cover my hair..i relly like it too..it doesnt look wiggy..i will post pics...i cut it to add layers and flat ironed it too..great inbetween braids/weaved style...i wont be sewing mines on though..

Really:eek: !!! Kind of makes sense in a way...It's essentially the same thing as doing a full head...except its a lot easier to remove.

MsLepe

dontspeakdefeat said:
First I have a question. Why is it that some weave techniques and tricks are such a mystery? Getting some people to share is like pulling teeth. Every thing is hush hush or you have to buy a video or take a training class to find out the secrets? Sometimes when you finally find out the secrets you wonder what was all the secrecy about??

This is what I have encountered on my journey to finding out about the new weave techniques on the scene today.

I thought that we as weave enthusiast could come together and share our weave tips tricks and techniques.

Recently I have been on a journey to find out how to do the flatest most natural weave possible. What I have learned:

1. The hair you choose is key to getting the most believable weave. If you choose inferior hair then you will wind up with inferior looking weave. I have tried all types of regular BSS hair ranging from $20+ to 30+ Sure the hair looked good when first installed but usually after about 2-3 weeks it starts doing it's usual and I am ready to take it out. Lesson: spend more on hair that is superior quality and you will have a better longer lasting weave. The better quality hair can also be reused.

2. Try to find hair with very thin tracks. This helps keep the weave lying as flat as possible reducing the bulky look and feel. This is usually the more expensive hair that comes directly from someone's head. The wefts are thinner and there hair is thicker and covers more head surface.

3.The way you braid also makes a difference in the way the weave turns out. The flatter and small the braid the flatter and more believable the weave. I have been experimenting on my dummy with different braid patterns. The braid pattern chosen depends on the individual choices that you or the stylist makes.

4.They are like 1001 weave techniques out there. I have learned that one weave technique can have 100 different names depending on the region, the stylist etc. Example: Infusion can be called, dreamstrands, great lengths, dreamweave etc. It can get confusing at time.

These are the techniques that I have learned about or have elaborated my learning.

1. Full head sewn in's with closure
2. Partial sewn in's with some natural hair left out to blend
3. Sewn in with a net
4. Dream Hair(the weft is sewn into a track made with your own hair)
5. Microlinks
6. Malaysian techniqe(lies very flat to hair)
7. Infusion
8.Quick weave

Ladies who are weave enthusiast please share.

What is your favorite technique?

What other techniques have you used in the past? Did it work well for you?

What type of hair is your favorite to use for weaves and can you reuse it?

What techiques do you know about that you may share that others may not know about but may want to try?

What braid patterns do you use for a natural looking sewn in?

Any other information you would like to share.
When I was wearing sew-in weaves, a technique was introduced to me that was called the "rubberband weave". Now, I have had the regular cornrow round' ya head weave, but this was something different. The best way I can describe it is remember when you were little and seeing some little girls with a head full of ponytails, but they were attached to one another going back (like make a ponytail, and then make another right next to it, now connect those two together to make another, repeat), Dang, I wish I had a picture!!!! I will try and find one!!
Anyways, it forms a base, a flat base may I add, then the hair is sewn in, with a part left out in the front and edges if desired. This technique resulted in flat weaves, no bumps whatsoever!! And you could never see the tracks. It stayed tight longer than cornrows in my opinion, and only took about an hour or less to do!!!!!! THE BOMB!!!!

asummertyme

MsLepe said:
When I was wearing sew-in weaves, a technique was introduced to me that was called the "rubberband weave". Now, I have had the regular cornrow round' ya head weave, but this was something different. The best way I can describe it is remember when you were little and seeing some little girls with a head full of ponytails, but they were attached to one another going back (like make a ponytail, and then make another right next to it, now connect those two together to make another, repeat), Dang, I wish I had a picture!!!! I will try and find one!!
Anyways, it forms a base, a flat base may I add, then the hair is sewn in, with a part left out in the front and edges if desired. This technique resulted in flat weaves, no bumps whatsoever!! And you could never see the tracks. It stayed tight longer than cornrows in my opinion, and only took about an hour or less to do!!!!!! THE BOMB!!!!

hmmm..interesting, but i am concerned about the rubber bands in the hair...

MsLepe

asummertyme said:
hmmm..interesting, but i am concerned about the rubber bands in the hair...
I was too at first, but I didnt recieve any damage, probably because she moisturized my hair before putting them in and she was very careful. Good thing is that since there was so much moisture before putting them in, a few days later the rubberbands would pop on their own because of the oils, but the weave STAYED TIGHT!!!! So there wasnt constant tension from having them the whole time I had the weave...I guess another option would be a whole bunch of small panty hose holders. I bet you that would do the trick!!! :)

Healthb4Length

MsLepe said:
I was too at first, but I didnt recieve any damage, probably because she moisturized my hair before putting them in and she was very careful. Good thing is that since there was so much moisture before putting them in, a few days later the rubberbands would pop on their own because of the oils, but the weave STAYED TIGHT!!!! So there wasnt constant tension from having them the whole time I had the weave...I guess another option would be a whole bunch of small panty hose holders. I bet you that would do the trick!!! :)

WOw, this is an interested method. Please let us know more when you find pics or more info on it. It seems like it would be alot easier than cornrowing. Thanks for sharing this.

MsLepe

Alli77 said:
WOw, this is an interested method. Please let us know more when you find pics or more info on it. It seems like it would be alot easier than cornrowing. Thanks for sharing this.
Dang, I cant find a picture of the process for nothing!! I googled it and a couple of black salons call it the "Rubberband weave" or "Rubberband net", I am still looking though, at least for a picture of what the base looks like.

Healthb4Length

MsLepe said:
Dang, I cant find a picture of the process for nothing!! I googled it and a couple of black salons call it the "Rubberband weave" or "Rubberband net", I am still looking though, at least for a picture of what the base looks like.

Thanks for trying. I have a definite pic in my head on how this style is. My mom used to put rubber bands (connected) in my hair when I was younger and I do remember the style lasting long. I'm thinking about doing this for my next weave. I'll practice on my mannequin first. I think that I would leave out some hair in the front and some in the back, I would twist the hair at the root, add rubberband (or stocking bands) then I would twist the hair and connect with the next etc...I see how this would provide a very flat base and not be tight. Using the stocking bands as you suggested would help with the hair or rubber not snapping and styying in place. Then I would attach the wefts. Makes perfect sense to me, in fact you really wouldn't see the wefts...perfect! Thanks for putting the method and idea out there! This is my next project to work on!:lol:

MsLepe

Alli77 said:
Thanks for trying. I have a definite pic in my head on how this style is. My mom used to put rubber bands (connected) in my hair when I was younger and I do remember the style lasting long. I'm thinking about doing this for my next weave. I'll practice on my mannequin first. I think that I would leave out some hair in the front and some in the back, I would twist the hair at the root, add rubberband (or stocking bands) then I would twist the hair and connect with the next etc...I see how this would provide a very flat base and not be tight. Using the stocking bands as you suggested would help with the hair or rubber not snapping and styying in place. Then I would attach the wefts. Makes perfect sense to me, in fact you really wouldn't see the wefts...perfect! Thanks for putting the method and idea out there! This is my next project to work on!:lol:
Girl, you will love it. And you cant see any tracks!!!! But your idealization in your head of what you think the base looks like IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT....Girl, you so smart.LOL...I hope it works out for you!! If I ever go back to wearing weaves, it will always be this kind. I also forgot to mention to you that after getting it done twice, and examining the base, I successfully did it by myself everytime thereafter with the same results....Good luck girl!!!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
The rubberband weave sounds like the same concept of knot stitching/malaysian technique. The base is created by knotting off hair and the weft is sewn onto the base creating a very flat weave.

What type of rubberbands were used? Where the bands double or tripled or were they small enough to just put on and hold?

I am def. interested in trying this technique.