The Weaves techniques and tips thread/ Why all the Mystery??

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
First I have a question. Why is it that some weave techniques and tricks are such a mystery? Getting some people to share is like pulling teeth. Every thing is hush hush or you have to buy a video or take a training class to find out the secrets? Sometimes when you finally find out the secrets you wonder what was all the secrecy about??

This is what I have encountered on my journey to finding out about the new weave techniques on the scene today.

I thought that we as weave enthusiast could come together and share our weave tips tricks and techniques.

Recently I have been on a journey to find out how to do the flatest most natural weave possible. What I have learned:

1. The hair you choose is key to getting the most believable weave. If you choose inferior hair then you will wind up with inferior looking weave. I have tried all types of regular BSS hair ranging from $20+ to 30+ Sure the hair looked good when first installed but usually after about 2-3 weeks it starts doing it's usual and I am ready to take it out. Lesson: spend more on hair that is superior quality and you will have a better longer lasting weave. The better quality hair can also be reused.

2. Try to find hair with very thin tracks. This helps keep the weave lying as flat as possible reducing the bulky look and feel. This is usually the more expensive hair that comes directly from someone's head. The wefts are thinner and there hair is thicker and covers more head surface.

3.The way you braid also makes a difference in the way the weave turns out. The flatter and small the braid the flatter and more believable the weave. I have been experimenting on my dummy with different braid patterns. The braid pattern chosen depends on the individual choices that you or the stylist makes.

4.They are like 1001 weave techniques out there. I have learned that one weave technique can have 100 different names depending on the region, the stylist etc. Example: Infusion can be called, dreamstrands, great lengths, dreamweave etc. It can get confusing at time.

These are the techniques that I have learned about or have elaborated my learning.

1. Full head sewn in's with closure
2. Partial sewn in's with some natural hair left out to blend
3. Sewn in with a net
4. Dream Hair(the weft is sewn into a track made with your own hair)
5. Microlinks
6. Malaysian techniqe(lies very flat to hair)
7. Infusion
8.Quick weave

Ladies who are weave enthusiast please share.

What is your favorite technique?

What other techniques have you used in the past? Did it work well for you?

What type of hair is your favorite to use for weaves and can you reuse it?

What techiques do you know about that you may share that others may not know about but may want to try?

What braid patterns do you use for a natural looking sewn in?

Any other information you would like to share.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

The full sewn in. It's fast and easy and gives the natural hair a rest from daily styling. Long lasting.

Partial sewn in. Works well looks natural. Not all hair is braided up. Great for temporary styles.

I haven't found a fav but I am getting ready to switch over to indian remy. I know people who use it and their hair looks great.

What techiques do you know about that you may share that others may not know about but may want to try?

I recently found out the secrets behind the Malaysian weave technique. I would like to find an inexpensive video so I can practice and perfect this technique.

Small cornrowns going back but I am experimenting with circular pattern and zigzags.

I will describe what I have learned about the malaysian technique.

Last edited:

atlien11

I feel like this about making your own tracks. Apparently NO ONE out there will spill the beans on it unless you take a class :confused:

theAlist

atlien11 said:
I feel like this about making your own tracks. Apparently NO ONE out there will spill the beans on it unless you take a class :confused:

Yea I have asked many stylists and I always get the same answer..."This is my craft, this is how I make a living." So i guess if everyone knew how to do it the stylists would be out of business...ESPECIALLY with the prices they charge now a days!!

RabiaElaine

Re: The Weaves techniques and tips thread

GREAT THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is your favorite technique? I'm fairly new to this...but I think vertical braiding leaving some hair out at the top, provides a very flat and beweavable weave. Sewing neatly helps a lot, sewing even braids that are the same in size. I've heard sewing through the weft can cause the weft to be damaged. I sew around the weft.

What other techniques have you used in the past? Did it work well for you? Once again I'm new to this, so the technique above is the only one I've used myself. The mesh/net weave looks pretty interesting and fairly easy.

What type of hair is your favorite to use for weaves and can you reuse it? I used BSS hair for my first self weave, and after about a week it was awful to deal with. I couldn't go anywhere without a brush.

I just put in relaxed textured hair from www.extensions-plus.com . Don't let the price scare you. A lady on BHM used Extensions Plus hair for 3 years of consecutive weaves. This hair should last at least a year if you take care of it. This hair is remy and cuticle aligned (most BSS hair is not). This keeps the hair from swelling and tangling.

With most BSS hair, after washing the hair 1x the hair becomes extremely hard to deal with, because the silicone coating is washed off. With this hair the company encourages you to wash the hair before putting it in. They say you can see how the hair really behaves when you wash it. If there is a problem after washing then you should contact them immediately.

I plan to reuse this hair for as long as possible. I'm going to be giving it regular conditioning and protein treatments, like I would with my own hair. I'm using heat minimally. It airdries beautifully. I'll use Carusos to refresh my style between washes.

What techiques do you know about that you may share that others may not know about but may want to try? Try sealing your wefts. Sealing wefts help to prevent the hair from shedding. Ladies on BHM use various things to seal the wefts (Aleene's Stop Fray for fabric, clear nail polish). Basically you apply this stuff to the weft and let it completely dry before sewing it in. I did this with my BSS hair and this helped a lot...I didn't have shedding. With the hair I just bought from EP, I don't need to seal the wefts, because they are very very well made.

What braid patterns do you use for a natural looking sewn in? Vertical braids are the only ones I've tried. I think they provide the flattest weave. They are also easier to put in, especially if you are doing your weave yourself. Vertical braids also stresses the hair less, in terms of spreading out the weight of the weft.

Please ladies...I learned my lesson...buy quality hair...it will be totally worth it in terms of creating a believable look.

Here are a few companies that sell quality hair:
- www.extensions-plus.com
- http://www.wagmanprimus.com/services.asp
- http://www.giovanniandson.com/
- http://rkhairproducts.com/

Please note I've only used hair from Extensions Plus, but I've learned that quality Remy/cuticle aligned hair is worth it!!!!!!!!!!

glamazon386

Great thread DSD!

What is your favorite technique? Sew in with just a little bit of hair out in the front for blending.

I've had a full head weave once (with no closure) and I liked it because none of my hair was out and I didn't have to worry about blending but I haven't mastered it myself yet. So I usually just leave a little bit of my hair out when I do my own. I've also had different braid patterns. I also had tree braids in the very front and the rest weaved to look like a microbraids.

Sensationnel Goddess Remi French Wave 14" - I just put it back in my head tuesday night. This is the 3rd time I've used it since I graduated at the end of May. I'm trying to save my pennies to buy some Nature Girl 3C Kinky though.

What techiques do you know about that you may share that others may not know about but may want to try? Cinderella weave (I think that's what it's called), the Malaysian weave

What braid patterns do you use for a natural looking sewn in? I usually cornrow straight back

Any other info you'd like to share? Weaves really aren't a complicated thing. IDK why stylists try to act like it and then wanna charge an arm and a leg in the process.

Last edited:

RabiaElaine

bmoreflyygirl said:
Great thread DSD!

What is your favorite technique? Sew in with just a little bit of hair out in the front for blending.

I've had a full head weave once (with no closure) and I liked it because none of my hair was out and I didn't have to worry about blending but I haven't mastered it myself yet. So I usually just leave a little bit of my hair out when I do my own. I've also had different braid patterns. I also had tree braids in the very front and the rest weaved to look like a microbraids.

Sensationnel Goddess Remi French Wave 14" - I just put it back in my head tuesday night. This is the 3rd time I've used it since I graduated at the end of May. I'm trying to save my pennies to buy some Nature Girl 3C Kinky though.

What techiques do you know about that you may share that others may not know about but may want to try? Cinderella weave (I think that's what it's called), the Malaysian weave

What braid patterns do you use for a natural looking sewn in? I usually cornrow straight back

Any other info you'd like to share? Weaves really aren't a complicated thing. IDK why stylists try to act like it and then wanna charge an arm and a leg in the process.

Nature Girl 3C is very very very very pretty. I want to get that too at some point. I could finally have hair like Joan on Girlfriends!!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way. Thanks everyone.

I found this information through hours of searching and searching.

MALAYSIAN METHOD

First make sure your thread is double knotted and pinch a
small ponytail, they can be about a 1/4" - maybe 3/8" in size.
Make the 3 securing circles around the pony then sew another
two times curving your needle up through the 3 circles you just
made.

Then you split the ponytail.When you split the ponytail pull it
wide enough apart that the thread is forced right up snug to the
hairline.

Then go up through the ponytail you just split and make
another secure knot (can do another knot if needed). You only
need to do this one time and you now have made the finished
anchor.

Don't cut the thread if you don't need to. and go straight into
weaving in an out. Start going in as close to the anchored
ponytail you just made, so theres no space between the
ponytail and the first weaving in spot.

Weaving in and out all the way around to the other side and
make your second anchor. As soon as you have secured the
second anchor again, without cutting the thread backstitch. Just
like when you run out of thread when your sewing on a weft
and you need to go back through the weft to secure it from
raveling.

So all you are doing is taking the thread and back tracking over
the weaved track. You are just making it more secure to hold
the weft. Go all the way back to the first anchor and now you
just sew the weft straight onto the track. This is the Malaysian
track.

I hope it's clear.

Healthb4Length

Great Thread! I've never had a weave before but I will be getting one soon! SO excited. I plan of getting the best hair, extension-plus hair so that I can use it over and over and over again. I've only seen good reviews about this quality hair. It is expensive so I'm ordering it at 2oz each all the way until I get my ful 8oz.

Lucia

I use braided sew-in weave all your real hair is braided and then you sew in the weave and wear a headband when your done. Works good, and you can get to you scalp/hair to spray it. instructions are in my journal blog section. hth

Last edited:

CurliDiva

Full sew-in with none of my hair out- this way I can have any texture or color without damaging my hairline to try to match.

I've had regular braids, micros, tree braids - I need to shampoo my hair too often to keep braids looking neat.

Not applying "products" to the weave hair has resulted in the great body and longer lasting style. I apply my leave in to my roots and corn rowed hair only!

I've tried the expensive hair, and my all time favorite is one pack of synthetic hair (only $9.99) by Fentress that looks and last like human hair.

What techniques do you know about that you may share that others may not know about but may want to try?

The biggest tip that I've gotten from LHCF that made a BIG difference is making small cornrows going straight back. By doing this and taking my time to place and sew each weft has resulted in the smoothest weave - even to the touch.

What braid patterns do you use for a natural looking sewn in
?
I used to try to "sew" the weft exactly to each horizontal cornrow, instead of attaching based on how I want the hair to lay - there is a difference. Does this make sense?

My words of Weave Wisdom:
· Learn how to cornrow (glue is just not as healthy or long lasting)
· Buy hair that is styled similar to how you want to wear your hair (don’t buy hair that you need to do a major curl, dye, or cut)
· Pre-wash and air dry the hair/extensions
· Soak the weave thread in conditioner or leave-in (this thread is like a tiny “cotton” scarves touching your real hair
· Re-do your weave before it gets scary-looking, just because some can keep a weave in for 2-3 months does not mean that it looks good.
· Care for a weave, as you would your real “hair”- meaning gentle styling, not abusing the ends, and setting at night.
· Style (meaning comb, finger comb or brush) your weave before leaving the house
· DO not take any weave "lip abuse" from jealous women with jacked up hair - If it looks good, don't sweat that you have a receipt for it! :D

Last edited:

Ayeshia

hmm I guess cuz you make hundreds-thousands of dollars off of clients if you perfect the technique. Money is power :lol:

CurliDiva

Alli77 said:
What is the purpose of putting a net over the cornrowed hair? I notice a lot of stylists doing it these days.

My best friend has a large a bald spot in her crown area, so she needs the net for attaching the weave hair.

I don't know if you need it with healthy hair?

Healthb4Length

CurliDiva said:
My best friend has a large a bald spot in her crown area, so she needs the net for attaching the weave hair.

I don't know if you need it with healthy hair?

Thanks! I've been noticing that it's being done on people with healthy hair too. I see it in Hype Hair's Special Weave magazine.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Alli77 said:
What is the purpose of putting a net over the cornrowed hair? I notice a lot of stylists doing it these days.
I know that the net also helps flatten the braids. It creates a good strong bases and takes some of the pressure off our your natural hair.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
CurliDiva said:

I used to try to "sew" the weft exactly to each horizontal cornrow, instead of attaching based on how I want the hair to lay - there is a difference. Does this make sense?
Makes perfect sense to me.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

RabiaElaine said:
GREAT THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here are a few companies that sell quality hair:
- www.extensions-plus.com
- http://www.wagmanprimus.com/services.asp
- http://www.giovanniandson.com/
- http://rkhairproducts.com/

Please note I've only used hair from Extensions Plus, but I've learned that quality Remy/cuticle aligned hair is worth it!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks.

I am going to check out these links. I will be needing some quality hair soon.

Healthb4Length

dontspeakdefeat said:
I know that the net also helps flatten the braids. It creates a good strong bases and takes some of the pressure off our your natural hair.

THanks! I think I will try this when I install my first sew-in.

RabiaElaine

dontspeakdefeat said:
Thanks.

I am going to check out these links. I will be needing some quality hair soon.

O and www.naturegirl.net is great for curly hair. I plan to purchase some 3C hair at some point, so I can rock a Joan style (Joan from Girlfriends).:)

CurliDiva

I was totally IMPATIENT when I took out my weave this weekend, and ripped out some my hair in my crown area. :( I need to set aside more time to do my hair properly!

RabiaElaine

CurliDiva said:
I was totally IMPATIENT when I took out my weave this weekend, and ripped out some my hair in my crown area. :( I need to set aside more time to do my hair properly!

Aww girl I'm soooo sorry! I had my sis take mine out for me, I think I would have gotten frustrated too, so I let her do it. Sadly she's leaving for grad school soon, so I'll have to rely on my mother or friend to come in and cut my weave out. I don't wanna chance cutting my own hair at all.

Mizani_Mrs

This is a good post/info DSD. I mean i know why stylists don't share this info...they want their customers to keep coming back. But i dont know why we and other ladies wouldn't share their secrets. I havent rocked a weave in almost 2years but i still love them and I am trying to keep current on how to do them. Though i've never done mines myself, but the next time I go to the beach, i certainly will do it myself. I don't have any info to offer but i certainly appreciate this info...now i am more confident in trying to do my own weave. (as soon as i can afford some quality hair).

RabiaElaine

Mizani_Mrs said:
This is a good post/info DSD. I mean i know why stylists don't share this info...they want their customers to keep coming back. But i dont know why we and other ladies wouldn't share their secrets. I havent rocked a weave in almost 2years but i still love them and I am trying to keep current on how to do them. Though i've never done mines myself, but the next time I go to the beach, i certainly will do it myself. I don't have any info to offer but i certainly appreciate this info...now i am more confident in trying to do my own weave. (as soon as i can afford some quality hair).

That's how I felt after PMing and posting in the boards about sew ins. I was ready to do mine when the time came...and it turned out great! The stylist (me :) ) did it exactly how i wanted. It went much faster the second time around too, because I knew what to expect. Right now this is the easiest most carefree style that I've worn. Especially now that I've found the quality hair that works for me.

Seriously ladies, Extensions Plus relaxed texture hair is the TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had it in for a couple of days now and it is behaving like no bodies business. Even when the humidity gets to it, it looks beautiful, just looks a little fuller. And it flatens right back out after wrapping it. I didn't even need to trim this hair. The way it comes it looks so natural without trimming. If you want a perfectly blunt ends you can trim it...but for right now I'm leaving mine like this. People have no idea it's not mine:D :D

Integrity

great thread!

Please give examples of high quality hair. or we just go for the most exüensiv and that is automatically the best?