The TRUTH about BAKING SODA, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE and DR BRONNERS on HAIR

iamtan

Re: The TRUTH about BAKING SODA, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE and DR BRONNERS on

What about the ACV mix with bentonite clay? Is that harmful? My hair feels super soft, clean, and it's shiny after I rinse the mixture out.

melissa-bee

Re: The TRUTH about BAKING SODA, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE and DR BRONNERS on

I was just going to start using DR Bronners in my hair until I remembered this thread.
I'm going to try it once to clarify and see how it works from there and if it works well I'll never use it more than once a month.

gcchick_07

i love the dr. bronners peppermint shampoo. never stripping and my hair feels fine...so....

not everything will work for everyone.

LongLeggedLife

I use and love Dr. Bronners for me. Have been for some time now and am pleased with the results, so is there a need to watch the vid??lol

Calia001

ha! i used to use anywhere from a splash to a half cup of acv for my final rinses. explains A LOT

MeechUK

MeechUK

Last week I tried to use baking soda on my hair for the first time and it didn't feel soft at all. I read online that baking soda works well to remove chlorine. From reading past threads on LHCF about women mixing baking soda w/ conditioner to soften the hair, I thought my hair would come out soft while still removing the chlorine.

I've also read that ACV removes chlorine too.

Now, I don't know what to do cause swimmer shampoos strip my hair something terrible.

I usually coat my hair in Shea Butter and wear a swim cap sometimes. I do an ACV after washing and before conditioning.

MeechUK

MeechUK

exactly, I bought Dr bronners to wash my hair with and no matter how small an amt I used my hair still felt stripped. even to shower with it made my skin tight to the point of being painful.

now I use it to wash out my kittehs littter boxes LOL. He doesnt seem to mind:grin:

I use a drop of the Bronners in my bath with a little ACV it's great for softening my skin. When my cats were kittens I sprinkled BS in the tray to eliminate smells. I also use BS as a deodorant, it's the best I ever used.

Curlykale

I use ACV and find it great, but I just make sure
- I dilute properly (ph of 4 on my ph stripes)
- It is raw and unfiltered (much gentler, big difference on my skin as well)

I even use some drops of ACV to tweak the ph of products (still using ph stripes though) and I find it much gentler than citric acid, which my hair hates even in the "right" quantity and with the right ph, go figure.

Last edited:

greenandchic

I used to rinse my hair with baking soda back in the day after swimming as an alternative to shampooing. I would use like 1/4 cup to 2-3 cups of water. Hmmmm...:scratchch

greenandchic

How do we reconcile this video with natural haven's conclusion that basically this whole ph theory is a farce. :perplexed
http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/06/investigation-does-ph-affect-your-hair.html

Its all so confusing to me. Not only do I need to do XYZ to retain length, protein/moisture balance, etc, but I have to learn about ph now.

I would never use lemon juice on my hair, and castile soap is very stripping (I sometimes use it to wash dishes in a pinch), but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong because I do have a lot of shedding and some uncontrollable breakage at times... :nono:

caribeandiva

Human being

Bumping for those who need to see this. I started using baking soda on my hair a month ago because I have low porosity hair. I should have done my research because sure enough it dried out my hair even more and broke my hair off something terrible! I learned my lesson. No more bandwagons. Ever!!

I'm going back to the basics from when I first discovered hair care. I'm going to shampoo and deep condition with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner once or twice a week. Apply leave ins. Do protein treatments every 4 to 6 weeks. Use heat when I feel like it. That's it. No more.

koolkittychick

Thank you for posting this. I check the other thread from time to time hoping to see progress pics looking like Akitafitgirl from Youtube since all those ladies swore by those ingredients, but it seems NONE of them are even following the original method anymore and very few, (if any) are willing to post pictures of their hair. All they seem to do is spend lots of time trying to modify the ingredients or how they are applied to reduce the (logical) results of dryness and damage to their hair.

This thread just serves to show that 1) so-called "new" methods that incorporate things that are be really bad for our hair are never "new," and 2) You will never get away from plain old science, no matter what you add to your so-called magic ingredients in the hopes of making your hair do something it won't. If a certain state hasn't happened for your hair after six months to a year of trying a certain method, then it's safe to say it simply won't, period.

Both this thread, and especially the other thread, have been very enlightening in this respect.

moneychaser

Bumping for those who need to see this. I started using baking soda on my hair a month ago because I have low porosity hair. I should have done my research because sure enough it dried out my hair even more and broke my hair off something terrible! I learned my lesson. No more bandwagons. Ever!! I'm going back to the basics from when I first discovered hair care. I'm going to shampoo and deep condition with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner once or twice a week. Apply leave ins. Do protein treatments every 4 to 6 weeks. Use heat when I feel like it. That's it. No more.

Me too!!! When I first joined the boards I grew my relaxed hair out pretty fast just doing the basics.

discodumpling

Folks need to learn what works for their own hair. I've been natural since 2007 and BS has made its way into my regi many times. Who gon use BS on their hair everyday though?? Your hair will let you know (even before you do) when enough is enough.
Even now following the Max Hydration Method (MHM) I wouldn't use BS more than 1-2X per month or even bi-monthly & then only mixed with conditioner (or yogurt for a cherry lola protein treatment) for what is a mildly clarifying wash for MY hair.

If you are using heavy, greasy, caustic products on your hair you might need to clarify more often than others. The products I use tend to be water soluble and easily rinsed away...no need for frequent clarifying.

So it all boils down to listening to YOUR hair and not the noise other folks are making about their own hair. Different strokes for different folks.

GGsKin

Folks need to learn what works for their own hair. I've been natural since 2007 and BS has made its way into my regi many times. Who gon use BS on their hair everyday though?? Your hair will let you know (even before you do) when enough is enough.
Even now following the Max Hydration Method (MHM) I wouldn't use BS more than 1-2X per month or even bi-monthly & then only mixed with conditioner (or yogurt for a cherry lola protein treatment) for what is a mildly clarifying wash for MY hair.

If you are using heavy, greasy, caustic products on your hair you might need to clarify more often than others. The products I use tend to be water soluble and easily rinsed away...no need for frequent clarifying.

So it all boils down to listening to YOUR hair and not the noise other folks are making about their own hair. Different strokes for different folks.

I agree with you. Different things work for different people. I never used baking soda on my hair until I started to max hydration method in September last year. I use it the way you describe (in a solution with a botanical conditioner and water, or in a CLCT). I alternate using BS, and instead do a diluted ACV to clarify. I only use diluted leave in and diluted botanical gel as my styling products and this is working for me.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Bumping for those who need to see this. I started using baking soda on my hair a month ago because I have low porosity hair. I should have done my research because sure enough it dried out my hair even more and broke my hair off something terrible! I learned my lesson. No more bandwagons. Ever!! I'm going back to the basics from when I first discovered hair care. I'm going to shampoo and deep condition with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner once or twice a week. Apply leave ins. Do protein treatments every 4 to 6 weeks. Use heat when I feel like it. That's it. No more.
I have low porosity hair as well and can't use baking soda or ACV on my hair. I have used acv a few times when I was natural and was using shampoo bars. But that didn't work out too well. I can use dr. Bonner's (capful size) mixed with some conditioner and that works well for low porosity folks. You really gotta know what will and won't work for your hair. The MHM seems to be working for others in finding out what will work for them. I also find out that none of those product really remove oil or product buildup like shampoo. It's like another for of cowashing. I know cowashing works for others, but not me. But I am interested in trying a modified version to help me with some trouble spots I have.