Baking soda and acv are not good natural hair cleaners

Lilmama1011

I clarify my hair once a month with acv rinse but use v05 mixed with t tree oil after before deep conditioning . So I guess I can continue since acv alone is as effective but cowashing is

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I like this series by JC.
I found the results interesting in that the ACV and the baking soda seemed to just spread the oil around even more. No removal of the oil at all in her experiment. The other methods she tried in this series blew ACV and baking soda out of the water in terms of oil removal (except water only of course).

Ogoma

I am not really surprised, but good to have experiments to back up my thoughts.

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

I never thought of ACV as a cleaner to sub for shampoo always saw it as a final rinse diluted with water in natural hair care books and such. I would never use baking soda my itself to clean my hair either. I'm glad ppl are showing why/how these things don't work. Too many DIYers don't understand ph or basic chemistry and are just mixing up alot of stuff. The only thing she neglected and she likely doesn't have one is how the folicles/scalp looks from doing all these processes. Trichologists have already proven why constantly cowashing can be problematic because it could build up in the follicles and cause shedding/thinning over time.

juliansmom

I would never use baking soda for my hair or skin..very harsh. and I felt like acv did nothing for my hair. My hair does just fine with my weekly shampoos..

faithVA

I like ACV for cleansing my hair. It is the first time in my entire life my hair doesn't feel stripped. It will stay in my rotation. Dry, stripped, crunchy, splitting hair with shampoo or soft, moisturized retainable hair with ACV? Easy choice for me.

knt1229

I have used an ACV rinse to help balance the PH levels in my hair after washing my hair. I don't use it anymore now that I am completely natural, but, it was useful during my transistion.

I didn't realize people used ACV to cleanse their hair.

Neomorph

The ACV and Baking soda as a cleanser thing seemed to come about because of "chemophobia". Sure there are a lot of problem chemicals out there, but not everything is to be feared. I always saw that ACV was good as a final rinse but I've seen so many people say they use ACV as a cleanser and I always wondered if it actually cleansed the hair.

Lia3257

I like ACV for cleansing my hair. It is the first time in my entire life my hair doesn't feel stripped. It will stay in my rotation. Dry, stripped, crunchy, splitting hair with shampoo or soft, moisturized retainable hair with ACV? Easy choice for me.

That was the point, it isn't cleaning your hair.

You like it b/c it doesn't clean you hair.

faithVA

That was the point, it isn't cleaning your hair.

You like it b/c it doesn't clean you hair.

I am fine with that. I don't need my hair stripped of all the oil that it has ever had. It just doesn't work for me. If not cleaning it means it leaves some oil behind then that is fine.

ChristmasCarol

I am fine with that. I don't need my hair stripped of all the oil that it has ever had. It just doesn't work for me. If not cleaning it means it leaves some oil behind then that is fine.

faithVA
Same here - it's not broke, so I'm not fixing it. I only use shampoo 4-5 times each year when I straighten my hair.

If cowashing and ACV causes thinning and shedding, God only knows how much more hair I'd have if I didn't use it twice weekly :lachen:

Last edited:

faithVA

faithVA
Same here - it's not broke, so I'm not fixing it. I only use shampoo 4-5 times each year when I straighten my hair.

If ACV causes thinning and shedding, God only knows how much more hair I'd have if I didn't use it twice weekly :lachen:

Yes I won't be switching any time soon. I know there are very few people who understand my head. If ACV gets me a head of hair like yours, I will definitely be following you.

Benuontherise

From my own personal experience, I realized too recently that they didn't not clean my hair well either. I am currently combing out my locks and was using only natural products but had to get commercial shampoo to clean my hair properly just recently but I thought it was becuz of my locks...guess not. I personally need something that cleans my hair well even if it's loose and not locked...I have oily hair... I just think they should be use with other products probably.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I was one of those people that ended up with the clogged folicles - it was no fun. My hair was coming out by the handfuls. I will always use shampoo. My scalp needs to be CLEANED - not cleansed.

Lilmama1011

I wonder is this clarifying shampoo or moisturizing shampoo because some report moisturizing shampoo leaves behind residue.

Lilmama1011

Good point. Do we want it super clean or do we want some oil always on our hair to keep it lubricated and never dry. I could see if you use cones or mineral oil products

coolsista-paris

Yes I won't be switching any time soon. I know there are very few people who understand my head. If ACV gets me a head of hair like yours, I will definitely be following you.

i think people should just dl what works for them.

its like grease... everyone told me to never use lt: its gets my hair soft ànd retains moisture, so i will use it.

coolsista-paris

Good point. Do we want it super clean or do we want some oil always on our hair to keep it lubricated and never dry. I could see if you use cones or mineral oil products

or prepoo, (with conditionner,oil or both), shampoo applying on scalp.
then oil rinse. i use amla oil. leave my hair soft and strong. i love it

faithVA

i think people should just dl what works for them.

its like grease... everyone told me to never use lt: its gets my hair soft ànd retains moisture, so i will use it.

I think it is a useful article. I just think she should have finished it up with the conclusion that she can't use certain things based on her hair and her regimen.

I think science and experience have to be joined to give each person good results.

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
She does the bentonite and rhassoul clay too. They clean really well which makes me more confident about really cutting down on my shampoo use.

The way the hair cuticles looked after baking soda and acv was terrifying.

coolsista-paris

I think it is a useful article. I just think she should have finished it up with the conclusion that she can't use certain things based on her hair and her regimen. I think science and experience have to be joined to give each person good results.

yes. i think so too.
im off to read the article though lol (had not really read it?

Lilmama1011

I think I will still stick to no poo (using acv and let it sit for 30 minutes and rinse every month ) we need our natural oils. It's not good to strip away. Also I don't experience build up or scalp issues. Back in the day they didn't use shampoo and they had beautiful, thick, and healthy looking hair.