Baking soda and acv are not good natural hair cleaners

Lilmama1011

Doesn't the experiment show oil off the hair and not the scalp?

Yup but we have to keep the scalp clear from not having build up but also stripping the oil isn't good as well. I think I'm fine though . My hair doesn't look dull so it doesn't have build up

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I guess this is why I get the best results for MY hair when I co wash and then acv rinse. This is def the most effective combo for me.

Last edited:

Willow00

Honestly, water only washing and letting my hair soak in very diluted ACV has been the only thing that has kept my scalp in check. My routine also stopped my hair from drying out & tangling something fierce. I honestly think my scalp is allergic to something in the natural and commercial shampoos and conditioners I use, and I don't know what it is (horrible itchiness and soreness). My head and scalp are doing fine with a mild cleanse. But I do rinse my hair and scalp every other day under the shower and use oil as needed...and I don't use much oil at all.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
She stated in one of the posts of this series that she was only looking at oil removal from her shed hairs. The microscope she used can't show product buildup or anything like that. I think she mentioned that in her first post where she compared shampooing, water only method, and cowashing. She also hasn't done scalp cleaning with the ingredients/methods she's used so far but she did ask her readers recently if we wanted to see if and most of us said yes I think.

The series is interesting to see anyway and I hope she continues and expands it to include scalp cleaning and removal of other hair ingredients/products.
And as always take it with a grain of salt. You know your head, do what works for you :yep:

Subscribe

Yup but we have to keep the scalp clear from not having build up but also stripping the oil isn't good as well. I think I'm fine though . My hair doesn't look dull so it doesn't have build up

I don't think stripping the hair of oil is a good idea :nono: Why? When we use olive oil and other oils now for our strands.

We need our scalp clean and I think what were doing now works :yep: Too many long hair chicks on this board that use acv and baking soda proves that it works for some.

snoop

I think it is a useful article. I just think she should have finished it up with the conclusion that she can't use certain things based on her hair and her regimen.

I think science and experience have to be joined to give each person good results.

I've followed her blog on and off. I disagree with your statement -- unless I skipped something she didn't say baking soda and acv were bad to use, she just demonstrated that they didn't clean as well as other methods. If she stated that any particular method was good or bad she would cease to be objective which is the point of her blog posts (I think), which then supports your final statment.

lamaria211

I've been using ACV+water+poo in a spray bottle to clean my hair and I really like it. My hair is clean and soft afterwards

faithVA

I've followed her blog on and off. I disagree with your statement -- unless I skipped something she didn't say baking soda and acv were bad to use, she just demonstrated that they didn't clean as well as other methods. If she stated that any particular method was good or bad she would cease to be objective which is the point of her blog posts (I think), which then supports your final statment.

Maybe I missed something. In the post you quoted I merely said she should have concluded that it didn't work for her hair. I didn't say anything about good or bad. My whole thing is that it works for me and I'm sticking with it.

I think the title of her article blurs the lines of neutrality even using an exclamation and question mark.

snoop

Maybe I missed something. In the post you quoted I merely said she should have concluded that it didn't work for her hair. I didn't say anything about good or bad. My whole thing is that it works for me and I'm sticking with it.

I think the title of her article blurs the lines of neutrality even using an exclamation and question mark.

Sorry, what I was trying to say is that what I took from the title and article is that is that the relative to other cleaning products baking soda and acv are not good at cleaning (natural or "kinky") hair (I think she's a type 4?). I think she put in the natural -- i.e. kinky -- because she didn't try this experiment on other hair types (which she does do from time to time using her husband's hair -- someone correct me if I'm wrong, I believe he's white.)

That being said, I don't think she's trying to say that baking soda and acv are not safe or damaging to use on hair period...just that given the experiment using a particular hair type it isn't "cleaning" it as you might have previously thought it was.

I think based on her writing style she prefers to just show the results of her experiments and then let the readers decide what works and doesn't work for them, while at the same time leaving them armed with the knowledge of why it it has been working or not working.

In this case, you could possibly say that your hair benefits from having a layer of oil on it and thus because the acv rinses spread the oil on the hair instead of taking it removing it completely, you know it work, instead of just saying it works just because...

Not sure if I'm making any sense... :nono:

faithVA

Sorry, what I was trying to say is that what I took from the title and article is that is that the relative to other cleaning products baking soda and acv are not good at cleaning (natural or "kinky") hair (I think she's a type 4?). I think she put in the natural -- i.e. kinky -- because she didn't try this experiment on other hair types (which she does do from time to time using her husband's hair -- someone correct me if I'm wrong, I believe he's white.)

That being said, I don't think she's trying to say that baking soda and acv are not safe or damaging to use on hair period...just that given the experiment using a particular hair type it isn't "cleaning" it as you might have previously thought it was.

I think based on her writing style she prefers to just show the results of her experiments and then let the readers decide what works and doesn't work for them, while at the same time leaving them armed with the knowledge of why it it has been working or not working.

In this case, you could possibly say that your hair benefits from having a layer of oil on it and thus because the acv rinses spread the oil on the hair instead of taking it removing it completely, you know it work, instead of just saying it works just because...

Not sure if I'm making any sense... :nono:

And I think this is where I disagree. I am a kinky type 4 but I am also low porosity. I think her experiment is good but it applies to her hair and her regimen. She is a kinky type 4 who may or may not be low porosity who uses oils and butters. Shampoo may be perfect for that but ACV not so much. I don't use oils or butters and my hair is low porosity. My scalp also doesn't tend to produce much oil. So shampoo can be too harsh and ACV seems to work just fine.

I'm not saying any of them are good or bad, I am merely saying based on a person's hair and scalp characteristics and their regimen different products are going to work or not work.

I just think people don't take into consideration the number of characteristics of a persons body, scalp and hair that can change the game. I don't think this was addressed clearly enough in the article.

I have no issue with the writer of the article. I think her experiment was good. I don't think it was thorough enough but it was good.

I'm fine with people reading it and making their own conclusions.

Last edited:

snoop

faithVA You are right: A sample of one does not an experiment make.

I will admit that I was surprised at the results for the clay washes. I primarily clay wash myself and I think my hair is thanking me for it, but I was surprised at how little deposit was left after her wash.

faithVA

faithVA You are right: A sample of one does not an experiment make.

I will admit that I was surprised at the results for the clay washes. I primarily clay wash myself and I think my hair is thanking me for it, but I was surprised at how little deposit was left after her wash.

I have no beef with you or with the writer. I think I've just been on the board too long and need to take a break.

faithVA

I hope you reconsider this. You're such a resource here and have helped me tremendously, even before I joined the site.

Thank You meka72. That is so kind. I'm glad I could help in some way.

I was telling snoop that I'm cranky today :lol: I went and got some coffee. Maybe that will help me reset.

I will hang around at least until I'm SL. And at the rate I'm going that will be another 2 or 3 years :nono:

GettingKinky

Very interesting. I guess my hair likes the oils left behind. For the past 1-2 years I only wash with baking soda. But every 8 weeks I go to the salon and she washes with shampoo. My hair always feels dry afterwards. But then she flat irons it and it feels so smooth.

I'm going to keep doing my baking soda poo and ACV rinsing.

faithVA

[USER=377491 said:
GettingKinky[/USER];20343545]Very interesting. I guess my hair likes the oils left behind. For the past 1-2 years I only wash with baking soda. But every 8 weeks I go to the salon and she washes with shampoo. My hair always feels dry afterwards. But then she flat irons it and it feels so smooth.

I'm going to keep doing my baking soda poo and ACV rinsing.

I didn't know that. Do you use just baking soda and water or do you use another mixture?

GettingKinky

I didn't know that. Do you use just baking soda and water or do you use another mixture?

I just mix 1 tbsp baking soda with 2 cups water.

I do think it cleans my scalp because after I wash with this then use rinse out conditioner and then an ACV rinse my scalp feels better.

Sosa

I use to use baking soda until I discovered shikakai (sp?) powder for my scalp. That stuff cleans my scalp like nothing else. Like, literally, no gunk left when I gently check with my finger nails : look:.
Love it and will never be without it :yep:

meka72

Thank You meka72. That is so kind. I'm glad I could help in some way. I was telling snoop that I'm cranky today :lol: I went and got some coffee. Maybe that will help me reset. I will hang around at least until I'm SL. And at the rate I'm going that will be another 2 or 3 years :nono:

Yay! Glad to hear that you're sticking around.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MissC320

I was one of those people that ended up with the clogged folicles - it was no fun. My hair was coming out by the handfuls. I will always use shampoo. My scalp needs to be CLEANED - not cleansed.

Were you using ACV? How did you get the shedding to stop?

Evolving78

if those things are working for you, i would keep on. but i know i can't do cowashing, and i gotta clean my hair and scalp with shampoo at least once a week. i do it every few days though. my fine hair cannot take product buildup of any kind.