Texturized and Pressed Ladies: How To You Maintain Your Hair...

loverofnaps71

...and workout? Do you workout and if so, how do you maintained pressed or texturized hair? Just curious because I'm thinking about getting texturized...

Thanks a bunch!

LON71 /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Carefree

I could never figure this out. I tried wearing scarves, wearing low ponytails and even pin curls and nothing worked. The only thing that worked for me was doing light cardio (as in just a 5 - 10 min warm-up) and more weight training on days when I wear my hair straight.

LegallySpeaking

I don't think there is a way. Since I've started pressing, I normally workout before I wash my hair (which is wack because that means I'm not working out as often as I want ). I also turn the air conditioner up really high to reduce sweating. I'm thinking about just working out when I want, doing a braidout afterwards and hoping I don't look too crazy. I'm also thinking about getting texturized or even relaxed due to this exercise problem.

Connie

My workout regimen--5 days a week--was a huge factor in my decision to continue relaxing. If I wasn't working out, giving up the relaxer would work because I'd only press my hair once a week, if that much. But since I don't intend to stop working out and don't want to end up pressing my hair more than once a week, relaxing is the best option--unless I decide to grow enough new growth to chop off my hair and sport a short afro, which I'm not feeling right now.

SVT

I don't do workouts with pressed hair. I skip working out during the time my hair is pressed.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I have never tried this, but--

"Mr. John" (author of "A Black Woman's Dream... Growing Your Own Hair Beyond Your Shoulders!") has suggestions for maintaining a press while bathing/showering and they are the same suggestions for after exercising. I don't think this would work for me because I sweat a lot during a workout. I'm not damp, I'm drenched...

He says (I'm paraphrasing) to dry the scalp area with a blow dryer. Don't use a comb or brush attachment because they cause damage. Just part the hair and blow hot air over the scalp. The dryer should be at least 1500 watts because lower wattages will make the hair swell up. This needs to be done asap because if the hair dries you will have to press the hair again. He tells exercisers to skip the cool down /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif because the hair will be dry by the time you're done. He says to always dry the nape and hairline first. Then use a large tooth comb, part the damp sections and let the hot air blow on the scalp.

He says not to worry about the blower damaging the hair because you are not running the dryer through the hair--you are just drying the scalp area.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I have never tried this, but--

"Mr. John" (author of "A Black Woman's Dream... Growing Your Own Hair Beyond Your Shoulders!") has suggestions for maintaining a press while bathing/showering and they are the same suggestions for after exercising. I don't think this would work for me because I sweat a lot during a workout. I'm not damp, I'm drenched...

He says (I'm paraphrasing) to dry the scalp area with a blow dryer. Don't use a comb or brush attachment because they cause damage. Just part the hair and blow hot air over the scalp. The dryer should be at least 1500 watts because lower wattages will make the hair swell up. This needs to be done asap because if the hair dries you will have to press the hair again. He tells exercisers to skip the cool down /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif because the hair will be dry by the time you're done. He says to always dry the nape and hairline first. Then use a large tooth comb, part the damp sections and let the hot air blow on the scalp.

He says not to worry about the blower damaging the hair because you are not running the dryer through the hair--you are just drying the scalp area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like his method is trying to prevent poof-out but my hair would already be poofed before I turn the dryer on.

I could see this perhaps working after a light workout.

I've braided my pressed hair before a light workout and my hair turned out okay. Any poofiness blended in with the braidout style.

Maintaining a totally straight style after a heavy workout is impossible for my hair.

Melaninme

[ QUOTE ]
Carefree said:
I could never figure this out. I tried wearing scarves, wearing low ponytails and even pin curls and nothing worked. The only thing that worked for me was doing light cardio (as in just a 5 - 10 min warm-up) and more weight training on days when I wear my hair straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it Carefree! This is exactly what I do!