How do you apply eco styler gel?

katblack

Hi ladies.
I just wanted to know how you gals or guys apply your eco styler gel to define your curls?

DigitalRain

I just spread it on my hands and lightly rub it in with circular motions. I have a twa tho. Ive seen people with longer hair shingle it in.

naturalepiphany

When I apply eco styler gel I first use a leave-in conditioner (I use creme of nature leave in conditioner, my hair doesn't dry as hard with it), then I go section by section and rake and smooth the gel in my hair and I am sure to focus gel on the roots of my hair to lay down the roots which helps deter shrinkage at the roots for me. Once done with my application I shake and flip my hair upside down and then style or put a head band on and let air dry.

katblack

Has anyone experienced less shrinkage when they use a diffuser or blowdryer to dry as apposed to air drying?

BostonMaria

When I apply eco styler gel I first use a leave-in conditioner (I use creme of nature leave in conditioner, my hair doesn't dry as hard with it), then I go section by section and rake and smooth the gel in my hair and I am sure to focus gel on the roots of my hair to lay down the roots which helps deter shrinkage at the roots for me. Once done with my application I shake and flip my hair upside down and then style or put a head band on and let air dry.

That's exactly how I apply it
I find that for my hair a little goes a long way. I don't need alot to make my curls pop.

Has anyone experienced less shrinkage when they use a diffuser or blowdryer to dry as apposed to air drying?

I wish I could answer this. I haven't mastered the art of diffusing yet.

cluelezz

I blowdry sans diffuser and get less shrinkage. I don't do it for that reason though. I can't help touching my hair to see if it's dry, to feel the curls, etc, so drying it faster prevents me from causing frizz during the drying process.

I apply the gel in sections though on wet hair. I don't really rake as much as I smooth though. Then once I have every section gelled, I smooth all my hair back like I'm going to put it in a ponytail. Then I shake it and blow dry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFF3assK22s <--it's a combo of the two methods she used in this vid, but without the olive oil.

katblack

I blowdry sans diffuser and get less shrinkage. I don't do it for that reason though. I can't help touching my hair to see if it's dry, to feel the curls, etc, so drying it faster prevents me from causing frizz during the drying process.

I apply the gel in sections though on wet hair. I don't really rake as much as I smooth though. Then once I have every section gelled, I smooth all my hair back like I'm going to put it in a ponytail. Then I shake it and blow dry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFF3assK22s <--it's a combo of the two methods she used in this vid, but without the olive oil.
Thanks, I'm looking to get a blowdryer with a diffusing attachment. I was thinking the diffuser would be more gentle than the blowdryer. I will try both methods.:yep:

ctosha

Does anyone use the pink one for wash and goes or twistouts. I see everyone is using the clear and olive oil ones but they have a hold of 10 and i dont need a hard hold.

katblack

Cluelezz, I loved the video. It was really informative and it's nice to see how other people work the gel. I think my hair doesn't like the gel on sopping wet hair, it's better on slightly damp hair.

katblack

the olive oil has a hold of 10 ?????

It does. For my hair I have to add conditioner and oils for it to hold my curls without major frizz or shrinkage. Over all it's world better than IC fantasia gel, but if you want lighter hold I recommend IC sparkle ice.

Tyra

I spread it on my hands and run it through my hair.
I get the lightest hold, and I never put in my naked hair. I usually put it on top of aloe vera gel.
I may start shingling in the future.

NaturallyMo

I've found applying it on soaking wet hair in the shower gives me the best definition without using a lot of product. I cowash and apply my leave in, then I smooth/rake the ecostyler through. Next, I re-wet my hair and shake it to separate and define my curls. Plop for a little while once out of the shower and then air dry.The result of this technique is in my siggy.

plastic

It does. For my hair I have to add conditioner and oils for it to hold my curls without major frizz or shrinkage. Over all it's world better than IC fantasia gel, but if you want lighter hold I recommend IC sparkle ice.

I would have never guessed , it leaves my hair feeling really soft with a nice hold

vkb247

Does anyone use the pink one for wash and goes or twistouts. I see everyone is using the clear and olive oil ones but they have a hold of 10 and i dont need a hard hold.

Every other type besides the clear or olive oil make my hair too hard and dry.

Tene

After I co wash I just use a good moisturizing leave-in or conditioner underneath the gel. I cut out using oils underneath as it's been breaking me out. After that I usually just rub some in my hand and rub it throughout my hair until I've covered every area and rake through my hair. I use the eco styler in the pink jar cause I find the others to have a hard hold.

ctosha

Every other type besides the clear or olive oil make my hair too hard and dry.
Wow I would have never guessed since all the others are lower on the hold scale. Well I'm inquiring b/c I got a sample when I bought couple of items from the bss the other day. If I don't like it ah well no money wasted.

LadyPBC

subscribing!!!

I just recently finally (yesterday and today) used the Eco (clear) cuz I read about it on LHCF. I had a huge jar of the IC Fantasia clear and it was okay I guess but did nothing for me. I tried it in a wash n go I think - was not impressed. I tried it to lay down my short dry crinkly coily edges - not a match. I tried it on sopping wet hair to give myself a ponytail - no can do. I was envious of of the natural 4 type heads of hair I saw and wondered why it never worked for me. I was moving some of my PJ inventory around and ran across my ECO styler gel and decided to give it a try even though I had not used up the IC Fantasia yet. I took out my two strand twists while sitting at my desk (was not impressed) and it did not have the fullness I wanted so I had to figure something out. I brought a lil ECO to work with me to smooth my edges (maybe) because I had to go to a church service later. My hair performed so well with the ECO - I was surprised. I got loads of compliments telling me my hair was cute. There were no visible bead-e-beads (tight coils). It did not puff up or anything. Sooo this morning I thought I'd try another version of an updo. I decided to so a puff. Why are my edges (for the first time in my natural hair life) laying down and surrendering? I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thrilled. I am so in love. I have a leave in underneath from a recipe that I got from KimmayTube. I used a little Hawaiian Silky on my edges last night for moisture while sleeping but nothing else. 2nite I'm going to cowash and try the ECO in a wash & go just to see how it holds up. I really never thought this day would come (tamed 4b type edges) but I'm so glad it did! YAY and hallelujah!

SimJam

shingle after I use kimmaytube's leave in or HE LTR or Breaks Over.

Ive never used on soaking wet hair, I should try

this is how it comes out

ETA: Oh and I MUCH prefer the olive oil, the clear actually makes my hair brittle if I use too much. So I only use the clear in small amounts over castor oil to smooth my hair if Im doing a puff.

Attachments

• shingledhair.jpg
    shingledhair.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Sapphire_chic

I tried shingling once and it turned out nice but I could never bring myself to do it again because it took too long, it does yeild really good results though.

I now use it on soaking wet hair in the shower and use conditioner underneath, take a big glob and smooth it down one side of my hair, repeating the smoothing action to lay down my roots and distribute the gel . I do this to the other side of my hair then shake vigorously.

The shaking action separates the 'curls'. I use the clear one but I really want to try one with less hold.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I usually put cantu shea butter leave-in and my juice spray on my hair, then rake through my hair with either the clear or the olive oil ecostyler gel. then I pick it with my fingers and let air-dry. My hair never dries hard, only with a soft hold and nice curlies. Then that night I spray with my juice spray, baggy overnight, and then fluff in the morning (curlies look even better second day :) )

Last edited:

LadyPBC

And I take it "shingling" is different than "raking" right? Can't wait to try it tonight with the clear ECO. Don't want to buy the Olive yet since I missed the sale at Sally's. Yay - even though I have to DC the next day. I should probably clarify after using gel huh?

Oops - sorry - did I just highjack your thread? Look at all the excitement you generated though LOL!

song_of_serenity

I wish I had the patience to do section by section. :lachen: I just get a dollop and rake that sucker through!

I wanna try shingling!

empressri

And I take it "shingling" is different than "raking" right? Can't wait to try it tonight with the clear ECO. Don't want to buy the Olive yet since I missed the sale at Sally's. Yay - even though I have to DC the next day. I should probably clarify after using gel huh?

Oops - sorry - did I just highjack your thread? Look at all the excitement you generated though LOL!

yes for me at least. raking yields stringy, ramen noodle separated curls for me with no clumps. shingling gives me huge clumps that dry smooth.