Texturized or natural ladies

Nubianrose

what do yall use to define the curls that you see when your hair is wet? I just texturized my hair :) to the way I want it...I have a lot of curls when wet, but now that its dry..they're not defined the way that I want....help me please!!

Netta1

I don't really use products to define my coils, shampoo seems to make my hair coil-up somethin crazy though.

metro_qt

ok. I love my hair when it's wet, it's soooo pretty and curly.

What I do to make it just as beautiful (to me) when it's dry is leaving in alot...*alot* of conditioner in it when i'm washing. (I am using the curlygirl method, so I only shampoo (lightly) once a week, though I conditioner wash everyday)

my curls before leaving in *alot* of conditioner were alright.. but that's my trick. the curls really spring up when they're dry.
And my hair's sooooo soft.

On top of the conditoner, I use a serum, and then I put in a good amount of IC Fantasia gel.
I've experimented with different gels, some are just bad. the one that's come closest to the IC Fant. is S-curl Texturizing gel with the blue lid.

All of my information i've gathered and experimented with comes from the curly hair board... i don't think i'm allowed to mention it here...
When i don't think my curls are looking their best, i always cruise by and see if they have tried any new methods that will help out with the curls.

HTH

L

lkg4healthyhair

I am not natural but I have natural and texturized sections of my hair.

Curly Custard

Curly pudding/Meringue

IC Fantasia gel with Sparkelites (gives me the same results as CP)

Garnier Curling Mousse

Moisturizer

so1913

The following have worked for me:

Asha's Silk Rose Leave In
Paul Mitchell Conditioning Styling Foam
Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding

Victorian

old head
Keeping your curls is mostly about technique. Avoid combing and too much manipulation. If you use a styling product, scrunch it in gently and then don't touch your hair while it's drying.
I prefer just using my regular leave-in and some oil, as gels always make my hair feel weird and I can't stand product build-up. The one product that doesn't make my hair feel weird is Shaman Smoothing Fixative, which I will use every blue moon. Best applied to soaking wet hair.

imstush

For me what works the best is the conditioner at my gym....don't know what it is, but I leave some of the conditioner on my hair, scrunch it and my curls are soooooo defined. I walked into my friend/supervisor's office and she was like OMG did you get your curls done it looks so defined. I just laughed. I have a friend that does the same thing and she actually takes some of the conditioner each time she goes to the gym. I've tried everything!!

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
For me, the thing that works best is putting some oil on over the conditioner when I CW, I rinse then scrunch in a small amount of gel while it's dripping (less is more for me) then I wrap it with a t-shirt for about 20min. I think the t-shirt is the most important actually because even if I just rinse, as long as I use the t-shirt my curls stay defined.

Queenie

Fantasia IC gel and a holding gel like LA Looks #9. I have to be thorough in application. Also Citre Shine Making Waves Curl Booster with a holding gel.

Nubianrose

lol look at me answering my own post...anyways...I remembered an old trick I used to do when I was relaxed at first.
1. have a spray bottle 3/4 full of water
2. have a cheapie moisturizing conditioner (i used suave fresh mountain strawberry)
3. put about a quarter of the the conditioner into the bottle.
4.shake it till the water and conditioner combine
5. spray on a head of wet/ towel-dried hair
6. shake that head of excess water
7. let it dry, and your curls have arrived

MSCHICHI

The best (and an added plus - the cheapest) product by far I have found to define curls is:

IC Fantasia Gel with Sparkelites (Clear or Pink) - I am so addicted to this product, it gives lots of shine to boot...

Do whatever you usually do for wash, just make sure you do a thorough detangle job (with conditioner), then rinse.

Pull your hair back or side as if your are going to put it into a ponytail (but don't band it) and then......Lightly wring (squeeze) your hair with your hands - no towel, no roughness.

Some good products to put in first are Infusium leave-in, then Scurl or Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme, or you can skip these and go straight for the gel.

Then, thoroughly but gently apply the gel to your hair (you don't want to tangle it) - I mean saturate it with the stuff until you have coated every strand. Get all in the middle of your head too. I glob it on, then gently squeeze out any excess.

Next, gently comb through a little bit, but don't try to thoroughly detangle, just get the big ones out. I comb all my hair back, and flat down on the sides. I then take my Denman D-4 brush, and brush down the front and sides.

I finally give my whole head a spray with Revlon Finisheen and this gives it mega-watt shine.

Your curls will start to dry, and after a couple hours, if you want to, you can pull some of the curls apart for more definition.

The last time I followed this regime, I got superraves from the staff of a Curlyhead specialty salon when I took a friend there.

Good luck!

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

After I finish washing my hair, while sopping wet I apply a leave in conditioner or just some Suave conditioner, a moisturizer, gel and then some serum/natural oil. After I apply the hair products, I bend over and shake my hair and just let it airdry after. Do not touch your hair after you have applied the hair products because this will manipulate the curls and cause frizzes.

amy1234

for some reason, washing my hair with clarifying shampoo makes my curls pop. I also like to use black'n sassy's creamy set to hold the curls in place for when my hair dries.

Country gal

conditioner washes, leave in or add in conditioner, add oil for shine and then top it off with a holding gel. My natural hair curls or coils up but some parts are really frizzy from pressing too much in the initial stages of becoming a natural. The back of my hair is the most natural part which has curls in the shape of an S.

I had to wash my hair tonight because of product buildup.

caligirl

The consensus seems to be:
1. daily conditioner washes
2. comb or brush hair while conditioner still in then rinse
3. use regular conditioner as a leave in
3. use fantasia IC gel with sparkelites for hold and shine

Got it! Can't wait to be natural!

Carefree

imstush said:
For me what works the best is the conditioner at my gym....don't know what it is, but I leave some of the conditioner on my hair, scrunch it and my curls are soooooo defined. I walked into my friend/supervisor's office and she was like OMG did you get your curls done it looks so defined. I just laughed. I have a friend that does the same thing and she actually takes some of the conditioner each time she goes to the gym. I've tried everything!!

Girl do you go to NYSC? I swear the conditioner there is da bomb, I use it as a leave-in too whenever I wash after working out. I've also taken empty bottles and filled them up with the gym's conditioner (ghetto I know) lol.

For home I love SSLD but it's discontinued, I heard Garnier Fructis Curl Creme is similar though.

dija23

I use Kemi oyl and tea tree oil together with Fantasia IC Styling Gel w/ Sparklelites on wet hair. Also Curly Pudding works great too, (but is way more expensive).

imstush

Carefree said:
Girl do you go to NYSC? I swear the conditioner there is da bomb, I use it as a leave-in too whenever I wash after working out. I've also taken empty bottles and filled them up with the gym's conditioner (ghetto I know) lol.

For home I love SSLD but it's discontinued, I heard Garnier Fructis Curl Creme is similar though.

No I go to NYHRC...LOL I am tempted to do the same damn thing, I told you my friend does this and she's a 3a/b.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I just slather on some Carrot Oil Creme and hair gel while the hair is wet and let it air dry. And I only comb it before that, with conditioner.

I forgot to add that I don't wash/condition or Co-wash every day. I wash and condition once a week, the curls stay during the week if I treat my hair with care and don't touch it too much.

Last edited:

SqrpioQutie

my .02.... i get more curls when i skip using the denman brush during my daily cw... i wring as much water as possible out of my hair while i'm in the shower, then shake as much as i can out.... i lay a towel on my head and blot a few times to catch the last drippies and gently tousle my hair with NTM leave-in... then i'll either put a light coat of Noodlehead or Pantene curl definer on the top and let it airdry til i'm finished dressing...

(of course this has only been the routine for the past two weeks - my hair has its own developing personality)