Teas For Your Hair Growth & Health

Isis

I recently learned about Nettle tea (Stinging Nettle) and how drinking it promotes hair growth along with many other benefits. Also, making the tea and using it as a rinse will do the same thing. So far, I've been just drinking it and has a pretty mild taste.

Here are some of the vitamins and minerals Nettle tea has:

iron,
sulfur,
folic acid,
chlorophyll,
potassium,
vitamins C, K , E, A, B2
serotonin,
manganese

There is a lot of info about Nettle tea and hair on the Web too:

"Nettle has purifying properties and acts as an astringent that helps speed the metabolism and circulation. Nettle has been documented for its use in treating coughs, tuberculosis, arthritis and in stimulating hair growth. "

What teas are you drinking (or rinsing with) for your hair growth and health?

*takes another sip of Nettle tea* :lick:

MrsQueeny

I heard Nettle used as a rinse too or even added into shampoo or conditioner to stimulate growth. Hmm I may have to go check out the tea. Q

Isis

FineChyna said:
wow i never heard of this stuff or teas promoting hair growth. is this easy to find in stores?
I bought mine in tea bags, in a health food store (like Whole Foods) with all the other teas. Some stores have this Stinging Nettle in bulk and I think it's cheaper that way.

Isis

queeny20 said:
I heard Nettle used as a rinse too or even added into shampoo or conditioner to stimulate growth. Hmm I may have to go check out the tea. Q
I'm reading about rinsing the hair with Nettle too. I may do this next wash day. I'm not sure how to add it to my shampoo or conditioner though.

http://www.indiaparenting.com/articles/data/art10_009book.shtml

If you want beautiful hair, wash your hair with a mixtur of stinging nettle tea and decoction of stinging nettle roots. If a stinging nettle tincture is rubbed into the scalp dayly it helps with dandruff. I read a story (from a source I trust) about a 50 year old woman who had such thin hair she had to wear a wig, which would have caused the rest to fall out soon.After a few weeks of washing her hair with stinging nettle her hair had growen much much thicker. Stinging nettle tea is also very high in iron and is wounderful for boosting energy.

joyous

I used to do this years ago. I would make a concoction of nettle, sage, indian hemp, rosemary and marshmallow and let it steep for hours, then use as a final rinse. My hair was so vibrant, healthy, bouncy and shiny, it grew like a weed. It does wonders for the color and natural highlights in your hair. Thanks for reminding me I think I'll have to visit my local health food store soon.

WomanlyCharm

joyous said:
I used to do this years ago. I would make a concoction of nettle, sage, indian hemp, rosemary and marshmallow and let it steep for hours, then use as a final rinse. My hair was so vibrant, healthy, bouncy and shiny, it grew like a weed. It does wonders for the color and natural highlights in your hair. Thanks for reminding me I think I'll have to visit my local health food store soon.

Isis, great info, thanks!

Joyous, I'm going to try your recipe...I love using all natural herbs for hair growth.

fancypants007

Isis said:
I'm reading about rinsing the hair with Nettle too. I may do this next wash day. I'm not sure how to add it to my shampoo or conditioner though.

http://www.indiaparenting.com/articles/data/art10_009book.shtml

I found this from a women who used this concoction to thicken her hair. I purchased 2lbs of stinging nettle herbs fromnaturewithlove.com and this is how she used it:

"3 cups water to 2 teaspoons of dried stinging nettle. I boil the water in a kettle, add the stinging nettle, and let it to steep for six minutes, then I pour the mixture into a clean, glass jar and allow it to cool so it can be used. I dump this tea over my head, covering as much of my scalp as possible, and then take the liquid I've collected in the mixing bowl, pour it back into the jar I use to house it, and continue saturating my head and collecting it for a total of six times. Afterwards I allow my hair to dry completely. I don't towel, rinse, or brush my hair (Brushing wet hair only causes it to weaken and fall out more). I let the liquid penetrate my scalp completely. I use this tea on three separate occasions, refrigerating it between use, and reheating it by sitting the jar in the mixing bowl and filling it with hot water while I shower. I only use it for a total of three washes though, and then I replace it with a fresh batch."

I have used it before, but only once or twice. I strained the herbs with either a muslim cloth or strainer to get the herbs out. It seems more beneficial if you put on the scalp even though your hair will benefit from it as well. I was thinking about making this tea and putting it in a large nose bottle like the "wildgrowth oil" and put on my scalp everynight and then massage for about 2 minutes. I will also use it as a final rinse on wash day.

MiWay

This morning I noticed that Giovanni Direct Leave-In has Nettle oil in it. I wonder what the difference is between the oil and the tea... I wonder which is more effective... After reading this post, I'm definitely going to do more research into the benefits of Nettle.

Isis

Thank you ladies for sharing your concoctions and experiences! Nettle tea sounds pretty good for our hair's growth. :scratchch

So Fancypants007, MonaRae, Joyous - did Nettle thicken your hair too? Many of the ladies here are looking for something to thicken their hair. And are you drinking it besides applying it with the same results?

Msbrown76, I never heard of Nettle oil. I may research that too.

Isis

VWVixxen said:
I've been doing this for a while, as well as using it in the water base for my henna applications. I don't know if it's making a difference though. :lol:
Really? Are you drinking it also?

Candy_C

i used to drink green tea alot. i'm convinced it helped my hair 2 grow. some ppl hate it, but i think it tastes delicious!

LaNecia

Isis, I haven't tried drinking it. :scratchch

I'm trying to remember what I have in my herb mix it's like Nettle, Catnip, Fenugreek and a few other ingredients. It's in my fotki journal. I just make these as I would a tea and use to rinse my hair post treatment or as a water base for my henna. My hair seems to like it. :)

joyous

Isis said:
Thank you ladies for sharing your concoctions and experiences! Nettle tea sounds pretty good for our hair's growth. :scratchch

So Fancypants007, MonaRae, Joyous - did Nettle thicken your hair too? Many of the ladies here are looking for something to thicken their hair. And are you drinking it besides applying it with the same results?

Msbrown76, I never heard of Nettle oil. I may research that too.

Isis, I never drank it. I just couldn't stomach it. I really can't remember if it increased my thickness but it did increase my growth. I bought and brewed my mixture today after you started this thread. I'll be using this religiously during the summer months and log my progress. For the ladies that suffer from sore or itchy scalp the tea really soothes it.

pattycake0701

I've drunk the nettles tea before. I steeped the dried leaves in boiling water for about 30 minutes, strained with a metal strainer , then chilled in the fridge in a big gallon sized pitcher. Its gross to me...it tastes very herby and green. I stopped drinking it a little while ago. I couldn't tell if I got any kind of results.

I've also made nettle infusion using apple cider vinegar. I put about 3 tablespoons in the bottom of an empty, sterilized spaghetti sauce jar and poured the vinegar on top. I let it sit in a dry, dark cupboard for about 2 months. I used the vinegar as a rinse after a shampoo. My hair felt very strong afterwards. I haven't done it in a while because of laziness.

I want to make a strong, concentrated extract of the herb (and possibly some others) by using 100 proof vodka.

Isis

Candy_C said:
i used to drink green tea alot. i'm convinced it helped my hair 2 grow. some ppl hate it, but i think it tastes delicious!

Mmm, I agree, green tea is delicious! :lick: I drink green tea daily and although I haven't isolated it, I'm sure it's been helping my hair growth and overall health. :yep: I drink it straight up, different types of green tea. Some prefer it with honey.

Isis

VWVixxen said:
Isis, I haven't tried drinking it. :scratchch

I'm trying to remember what I have in my herb mix it's like Nettle, Catnip, Fenugreek and a few other ingredients. It's in my fotki journal. I just make these as I would a tea and use to rinse my hair post treatment or as a water base for my henna. My hair seems to like it. :)
Thank you VWVixxen. Your herb mix does sound interesting (did't know about Catnip!), I'll have to check your journal. Drinking the Nettle tea is supposed help stimulate hair growth also.

Isis

joyous said:
Isis, I never drank it. I just couldn't stomach it. I really can't remember if it increased my thickness but it did increase my growth. I bought and brewed my mixture today after you started this thread. I'll be using this religiously during the summer months and log my progress. For the ladies that suffer from sore or itchy scalp the tea really soothes it.
Thank you Joyous, I definitely must try this on my scalp and hair, along with drinking it. :yep:

I found the taste to be milder than green tea. On my box it suggests adding honey and lemon or a sweetener if desired. I drank sweet and unsweetened and like them both.

Isis

:)
pattycake0701 said:
I've drunk the nettles tea before. I steeped the dried leaves in boiling water for about 30 minutes, strained with a metal strainer , then chilled in the fridge in a big gallon sized pitcher. Its gross to me...it tastes very herby and green. I stopped drinking it a little while ago. I couldn't tell if I got any kind of results.

I've also made nettle infusion using apple cider vinegar. I put about 3 tablespoons in the bottom of an empty, sterilized spaghetti sauce jar and poured the vinegar on top. I let it sit in a dry, dark cupboard for about 2 months. I used the vinegar as a rinse after a shampoo. My hair felt very strong afterwards. I haven't done it in a while because of laziness.

I want to make a strong, concentrated extract of the herb (and possibly some others) by using 100 proof vodka.
Perhaps your brew was too strong for drinking. Mine (in tea bags) tastes pretty mild to me. You do seem like an expert making your herbal infusions and extracts Pattycake! Please let us know what happens with your hair after using the extract and how you use it.

Cinnabuns - What a gorgeous pic you have in your signature! Her hair sure is beautiful!

Ebony

i've been drinking nettle tea for years (10) as it has many health benefits, along with other herbs free form. I bathe in it, add it to my hair products & my olive oil bottle I moisturize with daily (for 3 yrs now) also has nettle, burdock & rosemary free form herbs in it. I also add it in my drinking water bottle with other herbs.ppl are always asking me what's in my water bottle. I also include nettle & other herbs in my facial steams. THey give your skin a glow like nothing else & it lasts for days. Many essential oils are made from herbs (beneficial natural plants) as well. I say learn about them & make them apart of your way of life:D !
THis topic has been discussed many times on this board over the years. Feel free to do a search if interested in reading more. These herbs can be found at most grocery stores (in tea bags), health food stores (herbs by the pound & in tea bags), and of course, online.

Isis

Ebony said:
i've been drinking nettle tea for years (10) as it has many health benefits, along with other herbs free form. I bathe in it, add it to my hair products & my olive oil bottle I moisturize with daily (for 3 yrs now) also has nettle, burdock & rosemary free form herbs in it. I also add it in my drinking water bottle with other herbs.ppl are always asking me what's in my water bottle. I also include nettle & other herbs in my facial steams. THey give your skin a glow like nothing else & it lasts for days. Many essential oils are made from herbs (beneficial natural plants) as well. I say learn about them & make them apart of your way of life:D !
THis topic has been discussed many times on this board over the years. Feel free to do a search if interested in reading more. These herbs can be found at most grocery stores (in tea bags), health food stores (herbs by the pound & in tea bags), and of course, online.
Sounds like you're an expert Ebony on Nettle tea and other herbs. :yep: Thanks for sharing. How has drinking this tea worked for your hair?

The thread I started is about teas for hair growth and health. I haven't seen other threads about this specifically when I searched. However, I just searched now for nettle and this thread must be what you are referring to:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=83240&highlight=nettle

Candy_C

Isis said:
Mmm, I agree, green tea is delicious! :lick: I drink green tea daily and although I haven't isolated it, I'm sure it's been helping my hair growth and overall health. :yep: I drink it straight up, different types of green tea. Some prefer it with honey.

oooh honey. mixed with honey the skin really starts to glow. i may start doing this! thanks! and i thin kthe reason it helps the hair is because it destroys DHT or something...i'm not sure lol

pattycake0701

Isis said:
:)
Perhaps your brew was too strong for drinking. Mine (in tea bags) tastes pretty mild to me. You do seem like an expert making your herbal infusions and extracts Pattycake! Please let us know what happens with your hair after using the extract and how you use it.
quote]

Isis,

Yeah, maybe it was too strong...I'll probably try sometime again in the distant future:lol: And naw, I'm no expert, I just became really interested in make the herbal infusions and extracts and did a little bit of homework by "Google-ing". I need to get off of my butt and find the 100 proof vodka so I can get started on the extracts. I'll let you know the results once I get something started.

Isis

pattycake0701 said:
Isis,

Yeah, maybe it was too strong...I'll probably try sometime again in the distant future:lol: And naw, I'm no expert, I just became really interested in make the herbal infusions and extracts and did a little bit of homework by "Google-ing". I need to get off of my butt and find the 100 proof vodka so I can get started on the extracts. I'll let you know the results once I get something started.

Herbal infusions and extracts sound so interesting. I look forward to your extract results. :)

Ladies, I am enjoying glass after glass of delicious iced Nettle tea with lemon and honey. I was drinking it hot but I really love it iced too, maybe even better. Hope there isn't a limit to drinking it in one day! :fat:
Since I have the tea bags (next time I'll get it in bulk), I put 5 bags in a pitcher, add 2 cups of boiling water and steep for 5 minutes. After steeping I squeeze the remainder of the juices out of the bags and add 2 or 3 more cups of cold water. I like adding slices of lemon to the pitcher too, for looks and taste. It's delicious served over ice with honey or a sweetener of choice. :guiness:

Any other kinds of hair growth teas to share?

Taya

I haven't tried any of these ,but will. I read in my nutritional book that Sage in tea form,can be used as a hair rinse to promote shine(especialy for dark hair) and hair growth.As well as other health benefits. Also, someone on this forum wrote a while back that they drink Horsetail tea.

Last edited:

anahnamuslyyours

Isis said:
Okay, so this was posted months ago. But I thought I might share with the green tea drinkers my new favorite brand of tea. Mighty Leaf. They've got all kinds of teas, but their green tea is the best. Check out their website: www.mightyleaf.com