Taking Braids Down...Advice please?

How should I treat my hair prior to relaxer?

• Take braids down, shampoo/treatment/condition

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Leave braids in, shampoo/condition

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave braids alone until it's time to relax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please explain/describe)

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JazzyFLPeach

Okay...

I'm 4a/4b relaxed and I've had individual (pony hair) braids for the last 10 weeks. It's been longer than I care to admit since I've shampooed/conditioned. :nono: I have an appointment one week from today for my first retouch since June 29th last year.

Question: Should I take my braids down and shampoo/condition now, then relax in a week? Do you think I need a protein treatment and deep conditioner before relaxing? Should I just leave the braids in and shampoo/condition then take them down a couple days before I relax? Or should I leave the braids, not shampoo/condition, and just take the braids down right before I relax next Thursday?

It seems like my stylist will have an easier time of finding the line of demarcation if I take my braids down and at least attempt to wash or something.

What do you think?

Galadriel

I would carefully remove them and follow with a wash and deep condition. Also, make sure to detangle with the utmost carefulness so that you don't have any bad tangles and breakage.

Rapunzel*

take your braids out
detangle carefully with a shower comb, wide tooth comb,or denman brush.
part your hair in four sections apply shampoo then detangle some more to each section. deep condition your hair(baggy) then apply a leave in/ moisturizer to scalp and ends then slowly comb through your hair to make sure there aren't any tangles or knots hanging

diligence

Because of the high amount of manipulation needed when coming out of braids, it is best not to wait until right before a relaxer. Take 'em out, shampoo and condition now!

JazzyFLPeach

Thanks, ladies!

I'll start tomorrow. I have a 9-week-old son so I hope he naps long enough to allow me time to make progress. :)

cecilie

It' s depends , if it's single braids I use a bread release lotion and a fine needle to be sure to remove all "knot" and after that I shampoo and deep co .
Cecilie.

remnant

I 'll bump the "How to prevent matting......"for you
Very very good tips
:yep:

Last edited:

LovedAlot

Hi everyone. Even though I don't post much, braids are my specialty. If I were you I would take out the braids as soon as possible and schedule my retouch for two weeks later. I have learned from experience to wait at least that amount of time before getting a relaxer because the hair is weak from the manipulation. The last time I got a relaxer which was two years ago, I took my braids out and got a relaxer right away. Lets just say I am back on my natural hair journey. Thanks to all of the ladies on this board and braids, my hair has grown back much longer and healthier than it was before. I wish I had done some research here before relaxing my hair right after braids. Good luck on whatever you decide to do!!!!