Taking down braids... Help!

Vinyl

I've been trying to take down my braids, but because the beautician made a knot at the end of each braid I've had to unravel them to the knot, then pull the hair off. I can't cut before the knot, because I don't know where my hair ends and the fake hair ends.

Well, a bunch of the braids have bunched/knotted up and I can't get them lose! Please tell me there's a way to take them down without cutting my own hair! I'm so scared I'll lose all my progress taking these braids out. =(

naskat

hey i just joined so i guess this is my first post. I just took down my microbraids with the knots at the end. Don't be scared my hair is very healthy now from using the Crown and Glory method. You should go back to the salon they put it in and have them take it out. I was scared too but I realized that they knotted the fake hair where my hair ended. They used a small section of the fake hair to knot the end. Just put pull the knot outward and cut it with a sharp scissor. It is not your hair, but be very careful not to cut into the braid! I did this and I cut my real hair:nono:Just pull the verticalhair of the knot forward with a shear scissor and cut it. If you do this carefuly you should be fine.
Also, put a mixture of Nexxus Humctress and water to soften the braid and cut one inch off the end so that the hair will not tangle. Oh, it took me three days to just take out half my braids, so I got really frustated and finally went to an African shop.So, it only took them 3 hrs to take out the other half for $25( $30 for whole the entire head)
Oh! Make if you go back to the brading salon make sure they don't cut into the braid, but just the knot!

Last edited:

cmw45

I think this depends on how long your hair is. When my hair is short the braiders would always braid past the end of my hair, but since my hair has gotten longer they've started knoting and leaving my hair out. (I made a thread about this a while back) It's a trick they use to finish faster. If I were you, I would wait until the weekend when you have some time, until then by a really cute hat, and take the braids out slowly yourself. You can take out several braids in different places to see where they tied the knot. If they tied it at the end of your hair, then follow the advice of the above poster. If they stopped in the middle of your hair and they used synthetic hair DO NOT WET YOUR HAIR as this will cause matting of your hair and the synthetic hair. Instead with a smaller rat tailed comb undo the knots and take the braids out. I know this may be more time consuming...but I lost some hair when I tried to rush and take these out from hideous tangles (I wet the hair...it was horrific.)