Support thread for CONSTANT shedders

simcha

Hi my name is simcha and I too am a chronic shedder...

I've gotten most of my shedding (which was actually breakage) to stop but not all of it. My problem was from relaxers being left on too long or too strong of a relaxer for my hair. The worst point was when I shampoo'd my hair I had long strands of hair running down my body, on the shower curtain, and wrapped around my fingers when I detangled my hair. And if I ran my fingers through my hair when it was dry, I'd end up with ton of long hairs...

Once I corrected the relaxer thing. I used Aphogee every six weeks or so for the damaged hair.

I then discovered shampooing my hair by just squeezing the shampoo thru my hair and leaving it in for a minute or two, same with deep condition, no more piling on top of my head or even to the nape of my neck.

I also discovered a really wide tooth comb (teeth are about a 1/4" apart).

I stopped airdrying 'cuz it just seemed I had hair coming out then to. Roller setting has really helped.

I discovered Egyptian Magic (www.egyptianmagic.com) which I use (just a tiny bit) on my hair every day or so and I lose maybe 10-20 hairs in between wash days (lately once a week). It's a little pricey but I love this stuff.

I've also started taking hair, skin, and nails vitamins.

I still get long hairs in my comb and on the floor on wash day and have learned to live with it since my hair seems to be thriving. I'm always amazed by the people who only lose ten hairs on wash day.

GoingBack

Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
kitty18 said:
Still shedding away! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I had no idea you were one of the shedders. I hope that smiley face doesn't mean you're happy about shedding away!
No, not at all! :( I wish that I could find something to stop the shedding. Lately I've been using S-curl No drip and I have noticed that not as many hairs come out when I come it. I had a stylist to tell me that I should give my hair a good brushing at least once a week so that I could get all the "loose" hairs.

diamondlady

Great Thread!!!

Sometimes when I'm cruising the forum, I feel I'm the only one on the forum with constant hair drama. A lot of my friends are shedding and they blame it on relaxers. Some of them are now going natural.

December 5, 2003, I got a retouch and the next week I started shedding. It has been shedding since then. In the last year I tried Nexxus Emergecee, Aphogee, and went to a good doctor. Got scalp injections. Lost money. The last thing I brought was Dudley's DRC28. Sometimes it lessens for a while and starts again. But all in all, still shedding. At first, I cried my eyes out, missed work, moped around, and felt sorry for myself. Now, I've stopped stressing over it. Sometimes, I look at Andrienne's album for support.

I'm not sure it's shedding because I don't see the bulbs on the end. I think it's breakage. I see little short hairs sticking up on my head. I have bags and bags of hair that I saved from combing (with a wide-toothed comb) and washing. My hair is now kinda thin and stringy.

Dolapo

My hair started shedding a lot liek a year ago when i started using blow dryers and flat irons. And i cannot afford hair shedding cos i dont have a lot of hair on my head. Really. Its just hereditary. My dad, grandma and two aunts have fine thin hair like me and at the ladies' late stages in life, they had to do a bc and went natural. That was why i joined every hair site i could find when my hair started shedding. I looove my hair. I like that its fine, extremely soft and i had never had any problems with it even when i was natural. I will never go near a flat iron again. So now, ive changed from no-lye to lye, using substituting keraphix with humectress, taking vitamins and now looking to get emergencee.

BklynHeart

My shedding started in 1997. And its still going today. One thing I've noticed is that I cannot use any intense moisturizing conditioners. That seems to dissolve my hair even more. As long as its a reconstructor or protein conditioner I don't shed as much. And it pretty much calmed down. Last year I used L'Oreal Smoothvive and it started the intense shedding again. In fact it became a lot thinner. I used Mane N' Tail as a regular conditioner last week and a lot of hair broke off. sigh.....:perplexed

Bmack

This thread being pulled back up is a god send. I am shedding like crazy too... I have no idea what to do.

yourleoqueen

Queen Helene Unscented Natural Garlic Shampoo stopped my shedding COLD! I used to shed like mad June-Sept, but not this year.

There is another garlic poo, I have seen mentioned around here that helped stop a few people's shedding (sorry, but I don't remember who posted about it) I think it's called Alter Ego or something like that. HTH

cubanit

Im im cubanit and im also a shedder. I recently wore my hair in ringlet curls for two weeks when I took them out. I had so much hair going down the drain that I was convinced I have a medical condition. Turns out I dont. I am however taking saw palmetto as of today. Not only for the cronic shedding but for the anti facial hair am i turning into a man issuses ive been having:ohwell::ohwell:

tapioca_pudding

I have been shedding like crazy. :( I use BT and I remember someone said something about increased shedding while using it. When I first started using it had no probs w/ shedding!! So its weird that its starting now. I reeeeeally dont want to cut this out of my staples but after I use up this bottle Im going to not use it for a couple weeks and see if I notice a difference. It may very well be stressed related as well so Ive been doing ALOT to simplify my life to reduce stress. We shall see... :)

I hope everyone is finding something to help w/ this problem.

mrsjohnson75

I'm suffering from postpardum shedding, my plan is to try not to manipulate my hair by doing protective styling, take a multivitamin, and drink lots of water.:look: Hopefully this will help.

InNeedofHairapy

I have always been a big shedder too. The next bottle of shampoo I buy will be garlic shampoo to see if it helps.

I bought Queen Helene Garlic Shampoo after reading Khandi's fotki awhile back. I was shedding like CRAZY at the time..to the point where my s/o would be at work pulling my hair out of his shirts :lachen:I used the Queen Helene weekly according to the directions on the bottle, and my shedding cut wayyyy back...I expect some shedding, but this is a lot better. I have not had to buy a bottle since

***Toy-Pisces***

I bought Queen Helene Garlic Shampoo after reading Khandi's fotki awhile back. I was shedding like CRAZY at the time..to the point where my s/o would be at work pulling my hair out of his shirts :lachen:I used the Queen Helene weekly according to the directions on the bottle, and my shedding cut wayyyy back...I expect some shedding, but this is a lot better. I have not had to buy a bottle since

Where did you purchase the garlic shampoo?

luvmesumhair

Has anyone ever looked at SisterSlick's blog? She has an article on it regarding shedding and losing hair. Signs to look for and what your hair might need. My daughter's hair sheds A LOT!!! But the crazy thing is that it never looks like her hair is thinning! It is the craziest thing. I have tried everything to stop it but...

My hair is shedding now too but I think it is because I need a touch up BAD! I will see afterwards and hope that is the problem.

Last edited:

Tamrin

unapologetic
Im shedding because Im stretching my relaxers and I have over processed blowfried colored hair from pre LHCF. yesterday I was literally able to rip out 1.5 inch of 30 strands right off with no effort. it left me discouraged and wanting to cut my hair off. I have beed moisturizing more and I just got my mango and avocado butters today. I hope this works. I may also have to lay off the BT.

luvmesumhair

Im shedding because Im stretching my relaxers and I have over processed blowfried colored hair from pre LHCF. yesterday I was literally able to rip out 1.5 inch of 30 strands right off with no effort. it left me discouraged and wanting to cut my hair off. I have beed moisturizing more and I just got my mango and avocado butters today. I hope this works. I may also have to lay off the BT.

Why lay off the BT?

Tamrin

unapologetic
Why lay off the BT?

Im wondering if it may be the source of my shedding so much. I have been reading about people experiencing it too.. I would hate to use stop cause I ordered a new batch. yes I have gotten wonderful growth from BT. and I do moisturize before I use it I guess I will run a 1 week trial of no BT and just moisturise

ladytq

My hair has started breaking and shedding alot. I think it has a lot to do with MTG. I have decided to cut that out of my regiment for awhile and simple my regiment to pinpoint any other culprits. I think being a product junkie has contributed to alot of the breakage and shedding. I am going to go back to the basic shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in. So no oils, butters, henna for a month and see what happens. I think I will try the queen helen garlic shampoo. I will start August 1, 2007. I will keep you guys posted.

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE!!!!!

LET US KNOW WHATS WORKING AND NOT!!! I will do the same.

MsAngie

Fantastic thread! Answered most of my questions! Yes, keep this thread alive! :spinning: (love these new smilies)

thiccknlong

wow girlies i didnt know anyone else experience this...let me tell you, my hair is almost BSL and I've experienced this almost constantly at times.

I had to clip 7-9 inches within the last year and a half due to the shedding. If it werent for that, I'd be at waist length I know.

This is what affected me and I so hope it helps someone else.

1. Anxiety. I found out there's a chemical imbalance for anxiety and although it didnt feel THAT bad at the time, I forgot to take my medicine for anxiety for about...say 3 weeks and my stuff was falling out like i was sick ! I started back taking this med and viola' ! A lil above ave shedding. Now, thats been happening cause....

2. Going to bed LATE or not getting all of my sleep. Either one of these make my hair shed more.

3. Stressing out about a little of nothing. Worrying or anything else. I'm trying to work less and socialize more, stay close to God and pray and meditate in the morn when i rise, night when i lie down, and throughout the day. Also, take work breaks.

4. Iron. I have large fibroids and they've been trying to drain a sista's blood ! lol. I take Rx iron pills and drink high Vit C to help it enter in the blood easier.

5. B vits. With all that stuff above, it tolls the body and therefore eats up my b vits in my sys. Stress does that. I now take a b supplement.

Ladies, I hope this helps ! :rolleyes: Mine have slowed down trememendously. I'm adhering to what I said, probably 60% of the time. I'm trying to manage life better.

Last edited:

kiwiny

I am also a cronic shedder and I am over stressing myself about it.
I know it , my stylist knows it and it's been like this for years. I have tried everything..Dudley's, emergencee. apogee, kerphix, penetrait.
Those products are not just for shedding but also breakage.

I just come to the conclusion that I am a shedder but at least my hair grows fast. I will always have a decent head of hair so I stopped driving myself crazy:wallbash:

tonia682

I haven't read one word but I am so grateful to have found this thread. I felt like I was the only one with this issue becuase my hair is is shedding like wildfire. My hairdresser says she sees no breakage but lots of sheeding. My 4b hair is collarbone length. Iam alsoo 11 mos. post partum but I don't think that's the issue. I will be interested to see what methods y'all used for tackling this issue.:yawn:

Cleve_gryl

My hair has been shedding like crazy lately!! My bathroom looks a HAM from all the hairs on the floor :ohwell:. I bought the QH Garlic poo and used it once. I'm not sure why I didn't go back to it. I just purchased the Giovanni line in hopes that natural organic stuff will help my scalp. If after a couple weeks of this I see no improvement, I'm going back to the Garlic poo.

I may invest in some B-12 myself :scratchch

misskaleah

Great thread....my hair has been shedding so much lately I had to snake my shower drain twice last month. (Then I got one of those filter things...now I really freak out b/c I can see exactly how much I'm losing!) I'm going to start back on my b-vits and look for this Garlic Shampoo.

Let you know how it works out!

Empress Yahudah

Ive been shedding so much lately too!!! I cant stand this!!! :wallbash:
Ive been taken my supplements but ive been slack on eating protein :ohwell:
This might be a factor so im getting back on it ..if that dont work then ill try the garlic poos...
Or maybe cus im almost 10 week post :scratchch it started around 7-8 weeks post...maybe this is why ....im trying to transition but if after eating my protein and the garlic poo if it still persist Im slappin a relaxer back in ASAP :fistshake: