I thought shedding was a good thing?

pinkchocolatedaisy

At least that's what I gathered from info I'd read when I first joined this board (it was the one about shedding & breakage). I'm confused now. :perplexed I mean, if your hair is shedding, doesn't that mean it's getting pushed out by new hairs grownig in? I see shedding nearly every day- about 10-20 hairs or so when I cowash. But I keep seeing so many posts with ladies freaking out about shedding and doing these garlic treatments. :look: Can someone please set me straight?

Goldie08

I don't think excessive shedding is normal. I have used Black Strap Mollasses (soaking my hair for 4hrs. then rinsing out) to stop this problem. It worked very well for me after one try. My friend used it twice to completely stop breakage. Good luck.

Neith

It's good because of the fact that it's TOTALLY normal to shed hairs each day.

A small amount of breakage is also normal, but you should not have more than 10 or so broken hairs.

Excessive shedding is no good either... I don't think I even have to get into why losing a large amount of hair everyday is bad.

Also, the less shedding you do, the longer the potential length of your hair is. If you don't shed very much, all that hair is staying in the follicle and continuing to grow. So even if you don't shed too much, taking supplements/doing treatments to help slow shedding may help you to get to longer lengths.

If you are shedding under 100 hairs a day, you have no problem. :)

pinkchocolatedaisy

I haven't noticed many broken hairs for a looonnng time. :grin: it's getting kinda infrequent now. I see very long shed hairs with the bulb attached.

JustKiya

Shedding only concerns me when it suddenly increases for no apparent reason - and it's not my natural shed season, which happens in the fall. By keeping an eye on my shedding, I notice that it usually increases any time the temperature shifts majorly - more than 15 degrees increase/decrease for at least a few days, and I'll start shedding until my head/body adjusts to the new temp, and then my shedding decreases.

I think it's really vital to understand your personal shedding habits and cycles, so that you can then better understand/recognize worrying shedding.