Important info for shedders: Check your products

ashiah

It seems a lot of women have this problem. I see threads about it all the time and most women seem to be completely perplexed and confused on why protein treatments/no heat/etc. aren't working.

I've always been a shedder. At first I used to think it was because of my unhealthy hair habits, but after a year of proper hair care, the hair looks healthier, but it still sheds like an Alaskan dog in the summer. After a while, I concluded that my shedding was inevitable and I stopped worrying about it.

Well, about a week ago, I decided to revise my regimen a bit to include more daily moisturizing. I usually use Silk Elements leave-in moisturizing creme, ORS carrot oil and Dove moisturizing mist on the ends. I went to Sally's and bought a bottle of BB's Oil Moisturizer with Castor Oil (I used it a long time ago....don't know why I stopped) and applied it to my hair one day (I just finished washing it). I was shocked to see that the usual hairs that are usually stuck to my hand weren't there. I then ran my fingers through it, all the way to the ends, and perhaps a single hair came out. I was shocked.

I then grabbed my Silk Elements and ran it through the hair (out of habit, I might add). Suddenly, my hair was back to its old ways and started shedding. I then grabbed my Dove mositurizing mist and spritz some on the ends. This made my hair even more mad and I started to see little broken hairs stuck to my hand.

In conclusion, my hair does not like these products. When I use a product my hair does not like (in my case, Silk Elements, Dove, ORS) it retaliates by shedding. I can't believe all this time I've been oblivious to it. Now all I use are BB's Oil Moisturizer and a spray bottle filled with olive oil on the ends. I'm on my 13th week post relaxer and I can't believe how much my hair isn't shedding.

So check the ingredients on those bottles. If your hair is shedding, it's not your habits that need to change, but your products.

PinkPebbles

Great Post- And I co-sign with you!

I used to shed so much and thought that it was normal until I joined LHCF.

Once I changed my products: (relaxer, and conditioner) I immediately stopped shedding and my hair did a 180 degree turn around!

sugarose

I've just noticed this in the last week or so!! I switched from NTM leave-in to ORS hair lotion and I'm getting the little broken hairs again. For my hair, ORS is drying and is making it break off.
So I've switched back and won't make that mistake again!!

shunta

This thread is so on point. Ive noticed that my hair doesnt like alot of products in it, either, and starts shedding like nobody's business. When I was using Elasta's recovery my hair would shed a lot.

IrisDaVirus

I'm glad you brought this up because I just got over an episode of wicked hair shedding. It didn't take long to figure out the shedding was caused by the Clairol Herbal Essences conditioners I was using. I've gone back to some ol' favorites - Vitamin E Moisture Rich by Tresemme, Lekair Cholesterol, and the Deep Penetrating Creme Moisturizer by Fantasia. I alternate between these three depending on what I feel my hair needs. But my hair has definitely gotten back on track.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Thanks for the insight. I have been shedding like mad the past week or so and it's making me nervous. :confused: Since I read this post I have noted the products I used the past 2 weeks and have "tweaked" my regimen. Let's see what happens over the next several days. I just gave myself a protein conditioner followed by a moisturizing conditioner after I pre-pooed with Amla oil for an hour under a heating cap. I hope the shedding stops or at least regulates itself! :(

The Girl

IrisDaVirus said:
I'm glad you brought this up because I just got over an episode of wicked hair shedding. It didn't take long to figure out the shedding was caused by the Clairol Herbal Essences conditioners I was using. I've gone back to some ol' favorites - Vitamin E Moisture Rich by Tresemme, Lekair Cholesterol, and the Deep Penetrating Creme Moisturizer by Fantasia. I alternate between these three depending on what I feel my hair needs. But my hair has definitely gotten back on track.
Argggh this is a red flag for me I just bought some of this and my baby's natiral hair loves it but my texlax seems not to like it. I guess I have to go with my homemade oils..they really give me no problems...aggg the pj curse strikes again!!

gelati

ashiah said:
It seems a lot of women have this problem. I see threads about it all the time and most women seem to be completely perplexed and confused on why protein treatments/no heat/etc. aren't working.

I've always been a shedder. At first I used to think it was because of my unhealthy hair habits, but after a year of proper hair care, the hair looks healthier, but it still sheds like an Alaskan dog in the summer. After a while, I concluded that my shedding was inevitable and I stopped worrying about it.

Well, about a week ago, I decided to revise my regimen a bit to include more daily moisturizing. I usually use Silk Elements leave-in moisturizing creme, ORS carrot oil and Dove moisturizing mist on the ends. I went to Sally's and bought a bottle of BB's Oil Moisturizer with Castor Oil (I used it a long time ago....don't know why I stopped) and applied it to my hair one day (I just finished washing it). I was shocked to see that the usual hairs that are usually stuck to my hand weren't there. I then ran my fingers through it, all the way to the ends, and perhaps a single hair came out. I was shocked.

I then grabbed my Silk Elements and ran it through the hair (out of habit, I might add). Suddenly, my hair was back to its old ways and started shedding. I then grabbed my Dove mositurizing mist and spritz some on the ends. This made my hair even more mad and I started to see little broken hairs stuck to my hand.

In conclusion, my hair does not like these products. When I use a product my hair does not like (in my case, Silk Elements, Dove, ORS) it retaliates by shedding. I can't believe all this time I've been oblivious to it. Now all I use are BB's Oil Moisturizer and a spray bottle filled with olive oil on the ends. I'm on my 13th week post relaxer and I can't believe how much my hair isn't shedding.

So check the ingredients on those bottles. If your hair is shedding, it's not your habits that need to change, but your products.

I started using this last year and I just love,love,love!!!! I use this every morning and seal with BB castor oil cream and I don't have any shedding!!!! I will never be without this stuff!!!!:p

AllyBam

This makes me feel so much better. I thought i wasn't doing something right with my regimen.
I went crazy with the products a month ago. I stopped using the products I had never used before and went back to the basics. The only thing now I have added was the castor oil. I am noticing my hair is thickening up and the amount of shedding has been dramastically reduced.
This thread really needs to be out there for the ladies that are just finding their regimen.

growinglong777

You are so right, my hair does not like a lot of product, and when it is too much.. I shed like crazy.. and now I know what not to do with my hair..:D

jengrady

growinglong777 said:
You are so right, my hair does not like a lot of product, and when it is too much.. I shed like crazy.. and now I know what not to do with my hair..:D

I always know what not to do in my routine by the way my hair reacts. My hair does not like to be straightened. And that's about the only time I get a lot of breaks and sheds. I made the mistake of flat ironing myself instead of getting a body blow out and I had sheds and breaks for almost two weeks...whole knots of hair coming out. So I just go back to my no combs, no brushes and castor oil and indian oils routine...and great hair again...

tetbelle

Hmmm I have such a problem with shedding. Not sure where to start to track down what may be causing it. Glad to know I may be able to find the answer though. Thanks for the insight.

LaNecia

Wanted to come back and update:

After reading this post, I spent some time isolating what I had been doing differently this past week because my hair had started shedding/breaking like nobody's business. I mean, I'd take down my bun and run my fingers OVER my hair and I would see strands and pieces galore. Not a pretty sight.

I found two things...one was a leave in spray that I was using, I had stopped. Second was a conditioner that I use prerelaxer I was using as a leave in.

I clarified my hair in the shower and used my Suave Milk & Honey Conditioner. I put in Roux 619 Leave in along with my Dove Moisture Mist Spray combo, applied castor oil and ORS Olive Oil Cream to the ends and bunned wet as I every time I mid week wash. This afternoon, I did my usually take down and run fingers THROUGH...result...two strands of hair. TWO. This is the first time this has happened in over a week.

Thanks for posting. My hair feels 'normal' again.

tetbelle

This morning I co-washed with my Strawberry Milk and Honey (I was praying my hair wasn't shedding after that) I only saw two strands.

Then I put in Giovanni leave in conditioner. A couple of strands again...ok no problem

Then I put in my beloved ORS Olive oil... bam! a hand full of strands I couldn't believe it.

I continued with the rest of my process which includes two other products and had strands galore...

So tomorrow I am going to eliminate the ORS and see what happens...I'll report back...we may be on to something.

Andreainnis

I'm bumping this thread for more responses on what products people have found and eliminated that made them shed.

krissyprissy

Since I wear alot of protective styles, I dont see the shedding to wash day. I just realized that if I dont deep condition and detangle under running water I get alot more shedding. Plus, I just discovered Ion creame rinse detangler at Sally's and it has really helped.

LaNecia

I think that conditioner I was using was the culprit, it's the only thing I have changed...still monitoring.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I :love: BB's Oil Moisturizer with Castor Oil & Aloe!!! It does cut down on shedding....and shedding AND breakage completely stops with Infusium 23 Leave-in Treatment (the Original one).

grnidmonster

Great Post!

My hair does not like Sulfur products. I bought Boundless Tresses and I love the way it makes my hair feel but, it causes me to shed????:confused:

I wish it didnt but each time I use it I loose lots of hair. It's not just Boundless Tresses but, MTG too.

When I stick to my precious Qhemet Biologics Products, I never have a problem. Why, oh why, do I spend my money on other products when I know Qhemet Biologics never let's me down.:perplexed

I notice when I use my KeraCare Oil Moisturizer with Jojoba Oil (which my hair used to LOVE) I shed quite a bit. :perplexed I think it's too heavy for my hair now. On second thought I think it's the mineral oil. My hair didn't mind the product before so I don't know why it's turned off by it now.

hOnii

WOW! Well it's great to know that my hair doesn't like ORS products. I looove the carrot oil, and recently started using the olive oil (bottle and jar), and the replenishing pak. I had stopped this for awhile (i was in an oil-free phase), but started back up after realizing that my hair needed the moisture. My hair started shedding a lot again. I still didn't take the hint. Today I conditioned with the replenishing pak and as I combed through my hair, all I got were hairs in my hand. Sadly, my hair doesn't like these products, even though I love how it makes my hair feel :-( Guess I'm in search of another moisturizer...

dreamer26

Great thread.

I've been adding more products because of shedding, not thinking one of the products I'm using is the culprit.

I will start elminating and see what happens. I hope it's not the SULPHER, LAWD, SAY IT AINT SO.

SvelteVelvet

I was in Target yesterday looking for oil to seal my ends because the only oil I had in my supply was BT, I already had ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer and IC Fantasia's Oil Moisturizer but then I came across this with a big white sticker on the cover that said Contains No Mineral Oil Or Petroleum!

So I bought it just to try it out. I also bought this for my oil.

I washed and DC'd my hair yesterday morn with Fantasia's Deep Penetrating Creme. Last week, I used Nexxus Emergencee and ORS Hair Mayo for DC, my hair experienced no breakage/shedding, I haven't experienced hardly any breakage/shedding for a long time. Well I let my hair airdry and didn't take it down until this morning, (I was supposed to flat-iron it but I wouldn't get out of bed early enough) So I just moisturized my ends and sealed them preparing to clip it up and I used the new stuff...I got shedding/breakage. Like I said I haven't had shedding or breakage in a long time, I've used ORS OO Moisturizer no probs, Fantasias Moisturizer no probs, so I don't know if this was is the culprit or what. I'm going to do my flat-ironing tonight after work, my hair seems to be stronger when it's straightened. I am a bit confused, but I guess it was a matter of if it ain't broke...these prod's just looked really good to me in the store, I'll give them another chance. I more so noticed breakage/shedding with the Moisturizer than the oil. I'm also wondering if it was simply the condition of my hair in which I applied it being it was air-dried in a wrap. Perhaps it was shedding/breakage already there? I don't know, but I can't wait to do my Emergencee treatment this weekend. I think I'm going to just use the ORS Mayo weekly also instead of alternating between DC's. Oh I forgot to mention, I also full-head baggied the night before with S-Curl and sealed the ends with Kuza.

Last edited:

gn1g

I think the giovanni causes me to shedd and for sure the ORS carrot oil.

What i'm doing now to curtail the shedding is
apply aloe vera juice directly from the plant to my scalp. I also apply nizoral shampoo (diluted) to my scalp as a pre-poo. works great.

LaNecia

Just writing back to confirm, my shedding has stalled. I was using the Cantu BreakCure as a leave in...it was not a breakcure in that instance at all.

Wishing you ladies success in finding the solutions to your shedding.

Again, thanks for posting this thread, I probably wouldn't have figured it out otherwise. :rosebud: