Support thread for CONSTANT shedders

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
What an awesome thread! I think many of us are experiencing this and I don't think there is a definitive solution. Sometimes it's diet (lack of protein/water), sometimes is hormonal ( I notice I shed more during menses and ovulation). It can also be stress related, whether it's emotional or chemical (relaxers, color, etc). Then there are those with natural hair that have chronic shedding and they don't have any chemicals!!! I'm at a loss.

I saw a really reputable African American dermatologist in my area the other day (has been written up in Essence) and I asked her a little about shedding but didn't really go in depth because I was there for a different reason. I need to schedule a f/u appointment in a few weeks so I'd be happy to take this one on and gather as much info as I can on the matter. I'll also do some independent research on the topic since I'm a RESEARCH HOUND!

If any of you that are experiencing this problem (and it's severe) have access to a reputable dermatologist, I'd recommend making a visit as well. One thing I used to be really good about doing when I was shedding a lot more (sounds gross), was to literally take the balls of hair that came out after washing/conditioning and put them in an envelope and lable them w/the date. I would then compare throughout the month to see if I was losing more or less hair. It also gave me the ability to count the strands to see if it was normal based on stats (50-100 hairs per day is supposed to be normal). I also wrote down what I used on my hair that day to see if certain products made me shed less.

I know this was long but hope it helped a little. I'll let you know what I'm able to find out...

SG

[/ QUOTE ]

Good info.....SG /images/graemlins/up.gif

lalah

i was going through the shedding thing for a while until i read the post about combing the hair with creamy leave-in causing shedding. she stated that if you let it disolve a little that there is less shedding. worked for me. i know for me, i can't comb/detangle my hair with conditioner in it at all because that's when i get the major shedding. i noticed a lot of you said that you get your shedding most while trying to detangle. if you are detangling with cond., you may want to give that some thought. i detangle my hair with no product in it after washing.

kitten73

hello lady!

you know this is one of the things I fogot to mention when i wrote to you last. i too shed all the time and wondered what i could use. i am going to stick with the emergencee as you suggested. think i will pick up the nutrine tonight. now that i have the color, it seems to have picked up a but, a little breakage but not much. the shedding never goes away.

Jenai

[ QUOTE ]
i was going through the shedding thing for a while until i read the post about combing the hair with creamy leave-in causing shedding. she stated that if you let it disolve a little that there is less shedding. worked for me. i know for me, i can't comb/detangle my hair with conditioner in it at all because that's when i get the major shedding. i noticed a lot of you said that you get your shedding most while trying to detangle. if you are detangling with cond., you may want to give that some thought. i detangle my hair with no product in it after washing.

[/ QUOTE ]

So combing the hair while having conditioner in it can actually make your hair come out from the root?

Queenie

I've tried the homemade garlic oil treatment and it works to slow down shedding. /images/graemlins/up.gif I've done it 3x now. I recommend it. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mitre

Have any of you ladies tried fo ti root for sheeding it suppose to decrease the amount of hair you lose or extend your growing cycle

Aerie17

Great thread! Ashamed I didn't start it myself...
I seem to have experienced more shedding over the last several months. I was thinking it was due to the seasonal change, but I'm not sure, because it seems to be going on longer than usual. I'm trying to remember what I have been doing differently...food, supplements, protein, etc., but am not able to come up with anything other than I started using silica and a herbal product to help lessen the menstrual flow. It may simply be hormonal, now that I think about it. I will do some research on the herb; it's called chasteberry. If I come up with anything, will let you all know.

Aerie17

[ QUOTE ]
Aerie17 said:
Great thread! Ashamed I didn't start it myself...
I seem to have experienced more shedding over the last several months. I was thinking it was due to the seasonal change, but I'm not sure, because it seems to be going on longer than usual. I'm trying to remember what I have been doing differently...food, supplements, protein, etc., but am not able to come up with anything other than I started using silica and a herbal product to help lessen the menstrual flow. It may simply be hormonal, now that I think about it. I will do some research on the herb; it's called chasteberry. If I come up with anything, will let you all know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow Melodee, thanks for starting this thread! Look what I found out:
Chasteberry Side Effects

There is a lesson to be learned in this. We should all do a thorough check before taking an herbal remedy or even a prescription drug. I was taking this for excessive menstrual bleeding and it is generally safe. I checked quite a few websites before taking it. However, just now, I put "chasteberry, hair loss" in my browser and came up with this. Hopefully stopping this herb will improve my shedding. I encourage you to look into anything you may have started taking about the same time you noticed the hair problems. Good Luck!

Isha

Shalom,

I have heard a little about garlic reducing shedding. Yet there is other information here that says it can adversely affect hair growth?

I have not examined the thread that gives information on this, but I just wanted to let you all know that you can acutually get garlic oil. I have it as an essential oil, as one can get oregano for example.

I use essential oils, and not until I was educated, thanks to this forum and the numerous posts that I have read ( are there any forum junkies out there too?) I have started to use these oils in my hair care too.

I purchased garlic oil last year as I thought it would be good for combating winter colds and flu. Well, this oil is really potent. I had to remove it from my oil box, and put it in the kitchen cupboard.

I just wondered if this would be good to use instead of the natural oil, as you all know, essential oils are far more concentrated than the original source.

Queenie

I'm sure that it would, but I know w/essential oils one should only use a few drops. How would you get it all over your scalp?

Also, I'm curious to know more about garlic hindering growth too. I don't see how, if it's being shampooed out shortly after application.

nolechik

FSU Alumni/Grad Student
I've been meaning to post since this thread was started and I FORGOT. As my hair gets longer, my shedding is getting worse!!!! I have a hair appt. on Tuesday & I told my hairdresser I need some protein in my hair. Maybe this will help b/c I'm scared to do it myself. Will keep ya posted....

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
kitty18 said:
Still shedding away! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I had no idea you were one of the shedders. I hope that smiley face doesn't mean you're happy about shedding away!

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
nolechik said:
I've been meaning to post since this thread was started and I FORGOT. As my hair gets longer, my shedding is getting worse!!!! I have a hair appt. on Tuesday & I told my hairdresser I need some protein in my hair. Maybe this will help b/c I'm scared to do it myself. Will keep ya posted....

[/ QUOTE ]
Which protein are you afraid of doing yourself? I know Aphogee is a 'super' protein.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
nicki6 said:
Still shedding as usual
/images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hear this nicki6. What have you been trying out for your shedding?

melodee

Still shedding, but I know the culprit...my scalp dermatitis. I have tight dry scalp that is sore and itchy (anybody who has eczema, just imagine it on your scalp). And I equate my condition to the old adage about mommas, when the scalp ain't happy, the hair ain't happy. I see the derm in a week and a half and hopefully I can get it under control.

nicki6

Allandra,
I have been using the Affirm 5 in 1 once a month. The Aphogee had no lasting effect either. But if you look at my 8/13 pic and my Nov pic, it seems that my hair is growing so no complaints. I've always been a big shedder anyway.

peacelove

Wow. I am glad I am not alone. When I wash my hair in the shower, strands of hair literally just come out at the end of my hair. If I touch my ends, I will have several strands that are just coming out even though I combed my hair pre-shower. I have been so worried about this. But what helped me a lot was Profectiv Mega growth in my hair as a daily dressing. I also purchased a detangling lotion from Biolage that helped as well. I must MUST try the garlic shampoo though. Even though I have reduced the shedding, I still want some more help.

honeycomb719

[ QUOTE ]
peacelove said:
Wow. I am glad I am not alone. When I wash my hair in the shower, strands of hair literally just come out at the end of my hair. If I touch my ends, I will have several strands that are just coming out even though I combed my hair pre-shower. I have been so worried about this. But what helped me a lot was Profectiv Mega growth in my hair as a daily dressing. I also purchased a detangling lotion from Biolage that helped as well. I must MUST try the garlic shampoo though. Even though I have reduced the shedding, I still want some more help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I somehow missed this thread when it was originally posted, so let me introduced myself: Hello all, my name is honeycomb719, and I'm and year-round CHRONIC shedder.

Peacelove, your shedding sounds alot, like mine. I shed at just the touch, either shampooing, conditioner, adding product to dry hair, it dosent matter. I too can use some support in this area. This is a GREAT thread, and will try out the garlic shampoo if I can find some at a reasonable price.

LegallySpeaking

My dermatologist prescribed a product called Olux for scalp dermatitis. It's a steroid mousse. I'm not sure if it helps because I never use it regularly /images/graemlins/frown.gif, but it does clear up ocassional breakouts around the hairline.

ClassicChic

Sigh** I'm a shedder too. This started around 1998. Yesterday I used the Roux Porosity Control Conditioner and I have noticed a major decrease in shedding. I would say about 90%. My hair looks and feels stronger, like I had a protien treatment. I will post again in about a week on the progress.

Last edited:

HWAY

I gave myself an oil treatment of Glover's Hair Treatment and Jane Carter Pre-
shampoo treatment. With the treatment in my hair, I drove to the local Dominican salon with my bag of goodies and had them give a treatment with Emergencee followed by my mix of Humectress, Elucencence moisturizing Conditioner and Kenra intensive moisturizer. So far, after 3 days, I'm noticing less hair loss.
Also, I bought a bottle of garlic oil. The directions say to apply it and leave in for 20 minutes before washing. I may add this to my preshampoo concoction.