• Mild

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Regular

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • Super

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters

Prose Princess

It seems like most of the ladies here use regular or mild strength relaxers. I have extremely coarse hair, and I'm stretching for the first time and plan on self relaxing, but I'm so used to being underprocessed with Motions Super that even when I switch to a different brand I'm afraid I might be underprocessed with regular, or burned with super. But I've also heard of a lot of ladies saying Motions left their hair underprocessed too. So I'm just wondering if anyone safely uses the highest strength of their relaxer? I plan on using lye but no-lye ladies are welcome to respond too! :)

For those who do use super strength, what brand of relaxer are you using? Have any of you ever been burned by super? Any info is appreciated!

BeautifulFlower

I used to use no-lye super. It left my hair way to straight. I prefer the texture and thickest.
I currently use mizani lye regular. It works great. No to thick and not to straight.
unless you know what you're doing with a super, i dont recommend it. unless you can move quickly through your hair, it will burn the hell out of your scalp.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

It seems like most of the ladies here use regular or mild strength relaxers. I have extremely coarse hair, and I'm stretching for the first time and plan on self relaxing, but I'm so used to being underprocessed with Motions Super that even when I switch to a different brand I'm afraid I might be underprocessed with regular, or burned with super. But I've also heard of a lot of ladies saying Motions left their hair underprocessed too. So I'm just wondering if anyone safely uses the highest strength of their relaxer? I plan on using lye but no-lye ladies are welcome to respond too! :)

For those who do use super strength, what brand of relaxer are you using? Have any of you ever been burned by super? Any info is appreciated!

I see the thickness of your hair strands. I thought I needed super until my stylist recommended I use the mild. I then switched to professional lye relaxers, regular strength (Mizani, Linange, Hawaiian silky). I cannot even process to texlax for 8 min. without super straight hair. It's too strong. I think it depends upon the relaxer as well. Have you tried ORS? What I'm saying is that you might not need that harsh strength just because you have coarse strands. I have hair like yours and I had that problem...even the breakage I see at the top.

Also, I liked the straightness I got from no-lye but overtime, the damage was too drying. Lye might be better. Could you relax to 80% and flat-iron to achieve bone-straight when you want it? I'm now switching to texlaxing with 1/2 oil to relaxer ratio.

Last edited:

mezzogirl

I use Mizzani Butter Blends super. When I first started using the regular, I was underprocessed. Now I'm a little too straight with the super so I think I'm going back to regular.

*Muffin*

I use regular. I can't use super because it would eat my scalp alive, lol. I could probably use mild, but I've never tried it.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I used to use no-lye super. It left my hair way to straight. I prefer the texture and thickest.
I currently use mizani lye regular. It works great. No to thick and not to straight.
unless you know what you're doing with a super, i dont recommend it. unless you can move quickly through your hair, it will burn the hell out of your scalp.

That Mizani will straighten in a split second, won't it! It silkenizes the hair so well. I once used the Motions but hated it. It was like Bantu...in my opinion, the worst relaxer on the planet. Left my hair like thicket bushes or something. I still can't properly explain this...coarse strands but like strong Middle-eastern hair...just with a kink to it. Some relaxers don't do well on this type of hair. But Mizani is great...just strong.

Finewine

I use mizani butter blends normal/regular.

I used to use super up until late 2006/early 2007. I prefer normal b/c it leaves more thickness and a little texture.

Prose Princess

I see the thickness of your hair strands. I thought I needed super until my stylist recommended I use the mild. I then switched to professional lye relaxers, regular strength (Mizani, Linange, Hawaiian silky). I cannot even process to texlax for 8 min. without super straight hair. It's too strong. I think it depends upon the relaxer as well. Have you tried ORS? What I'm saying is that you might not need that harsh strength just because you have coarse strands. I have hair like yours and I had that problem...even the breakage I see at the top.

Also, I liked the straightness I got from no-lye but overtime, the damage was too drying. Lye might be better. Could you relax to 80% and flat-iron to achieve bone-straight when you want it? I'm now switching to texlaxing with 1/2 oil to relaxer ratio.

I've considered this because of some of the beautiful texlaxed heads I see on this forum (yours included!), but wouldn't that be the same thing as transitioning? I don't know if I have the patience for that! :lachen: No, I was thinking about ORS though, as well as Mizani and Hawaiian Silky. Since you texlax now, is that what you do? Go to 80% and flat iron?

Prose Princess

That Mizani will straighten in a split second, won't it! It silkenizes the hair so well. I once used the Motions but hated it. It was like Bantu...in my opinion, the worst relaxer on the planet. Left my hair like thicket bushes or something. I still can't properly explain this...coarse strands but like strong Middle-eastern hair...just with a kink to it. Some relaxers don't do well on this type of hair. But Mizani is great...just strong.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

PuddingPop

I use ORS lye Super and it is by far the best I have ever used. I have not experienced burns with it. Just be sure to base your scalp.

locabouthair

I used ORS no lye in super. I've never gotten any burns with it, my hair is straighter but some parts are still texlaxed. I have VERY coarse hair.

sylver2

ive always used Super. I am no lye though. Right now I think I use Optimum no lye. I use to use Creme of Nature-Super.

Prose Princess

ive always used Super. I am no lye though. Right now I think I use Optimum no lye. I use to use Creme of Nature-Super.

Looking at your Fotki, I think my hair is probably the same texture as yours, so you've given me a reason to go with Super, especially if I stretch. Your hair looked texlaxed in a few of your pictures though, are you bone straight? You're a real trooper for stretching for so long! Your hair is gorgeous!

ETA: Nevermind about the bone straight question, I just read your siggy lol.

BlackGeisha

I used Botanicals Super in September, I took out my sew in and had to relax my whole head which had alot of newgrowth. I ended up burning the back of my scalp really bad for leaving it on too long. I always use super because my hair is coarse, but super it processes so fast its hard to relax your whole head without one portion being overprocessed and the portion you worked on last being underprocessed. I decided to switch to ORS lye regular I'm going to relax with it on 11/15. I plan to leave it on a little longer than suggested since my hair is coarse.

SimpleKomplexity

I thought they were the same kinda relaxer......that's really sad don't tell anyone because this was AFTER LHCF. Anyway I bought a Super ORS relaxer and thought I was dying. I did the pee pee dancing all the way to the kitched so my friend could wash it out. I'm surprised I didn't have any chemical burns. My scalp was read as the devil

Prose Princess

I thought they were the same kinda relaxer......that's really sad don't tell anyone because this was AFTER LHCF. Anyway I bought a Super ORS relaxer and thought I was dying. I did the pee pee dancing all the way to the kitched so my friend could wash it out. I'm surprised I didn't have any chemical burns. My scalp was read as the devil

Did you base your scalp and still get redness?
I used Botanicals Super in September, I took out my sew in and had to relax my whole head which had alot of newgrowth. I ended up burning the back of my scalp really bad for leaving it on too long. I always use super because my hair is coarse, but super it processes so fast its hard to relax your whole head without one portion being overprocessed and the portion you worked on last being underprocessed. I decided to switch to ORS lye regular I'm going to relax with it on 11/15. I plan to leave it on a little longer than suggested since my hair is coarse.

Let me know how it works out for you! Don't forget to base your scalp! :)

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
I have really thick hair also, and a mild does me just fine. One stylist told me that a super should never be put on a human's head so try a regular and see how that works.

A stylist would have to chase me around her shop to get a super relaxer on my head.

SimpleKomplexity

YES I BASED with that cheap Family Dollar Vasiline. Everyone knows cheap vaseline is thicker than brand name Vaseline lol AND IT STILL TURNED BRIGHT RED as a ho in church! And sadly, my scalp stayed red for some days! I will never do that again

Prose Princess

I have really thick hair also, and a mild does me just fine. One stylist told me that a super should never be put on a human's head so try a regular and see how that works.

A stylist would have to chase me around her shop to get a super relaxer on my head.

YES I BASED with that cheap Family Dollar Vasiline. Everyone knows cheap vaseline is thicker than brand name Vaseline lol AND IT STILL TURNED BRIGHT RED as a ho in church! And sadly, my scalp stayed red for some days! I will never do that again

Oh wow. After all of the responses from you ladies I think I will either go with Mizani BB regular, Phyto II, or just have my stylist do it. I don't actually know what she uses, but she always gets my hair straight with no burning. If I take matters into my own hands, I don't want to risk jacking up my hair and scalp! :nono: Thank you all!

Crystalicequeen123

Honestly, I have NEVER known any real good reason for anyone to have a "need" to use a SUPER relaxer. I know some people use them, but geeesh!!! :shocked: :nono:

Personally, if I were you I would switch to another brand of relaxer. Motions has left me underprocessed in the past as well. Why not try Mizani Regular strength? I've heard that Mizani is pretty strong, so you might be fine with the reg. strength relaxer.

But yeah....Super just sounds like it would be too harsh on your hair and scalp. I don't care how "nappy" (I hate that word :nono:) someone's hair is, I just don't see the point in using a super relaxer. Try working the relaxer in your hair a couple of mintues longer than usual if you must, but honestly I think a regular strength relaxer should be okay. :look:

stelladata

My first relaxer after returning to them was done at the salon and the lady used Mazani, for some reason she was trying to turn my hair pin straight after I had repeatedly objected. I don't remember how long it sat on my scalp but I know once the back started burning I called her real quick to wash it off my scalp. I never had a perm that strong ever! MAZANI WILL LIGTH YOUR *** ON FIRE ahahahaha. Anyway, my hair remained annoyingly super straight/flat and I noticed that even till today when I wash my hair you can still see how straight my ends are :(

Anyway, these days I self-lax with ORS no-lye normal.. and I leave it in for half the time then, touch up once a year, my crown area is pretty coarse and once i start getting new growth it's obvious so I use scarves and head ribbons for the first few days after straightening just to get that area to smooth out in comparison to the rest of my hair. But ORS gets the job done for cheap.heheheh