Super Relaxers

baglady215

Does ANYBODY use super strength relaxers, particulary lye ones? I keep hearing how bad they are and they are only for .05% of the population :lol: . I'm starting to think that I'm in that .05%! I've been using regular lye relaxers (Motions and Elasta QP among others) and am constantly underprocessed. Are super relaxers really that much more damaging? What's better - leaving a mild/regular on for 30+ minutes or leaving a super on for 15-20 minutes? Thanks ladies!

luvlonghair

It's not that they are better, they just process much faster than mild or regular relaxers. Most lye relaxers are made the same, the only difference between them is the amount of sodium hydroxide (or other hydroxide product) put in it. Mild processes slow, regular processes a little faster and super processes real fast. I think maybe you should shop for a better relaxer. I know you've said that you've tried many, but maybe you haven't found the right one your hair needs. HTH :)

LiqueXX

I used Elasta QP in super for many months after being underprocessed with Affirm Fiberguard (I bought a big tub of this and as a result half of my hair was underprocessed). Now that my hair is in better shape and not underprocessed I moved down to the regular formula.

I liked using the super but I was starting to burn after 12 to 15 minutes and my hair was getting TOO straight. When I use the regular strength I leave the relaxer on for 20 to 25 minutes and I don't underprocess.

I don't know how sensitive your scalp is but you might try leaving the regular on for 25 minutes, making sure that you spend enough time smoothing the relaxer. Or you can switch brands (still choosing regular) until you find one that works. I would do this before moving on to the super formulas.

Last edited:

Angelicus

I used Vitale super and it didn't relax my hair... even after leaving it on for over 30 minutes. I guess this is what I get for having 6f type hair :(

Lorraine

I used Super strength relaxers for years. I used no-lye and kept it on for 10 -15 minutes max. Worked very well for me.

jasmin

anky said:
I used Vitale super and it didn't relax my hair... even after leaving it on for over 30 minutes. I guess this is what I get for having 6f type hair :(

:lol: Anky, you are so silly. So you still can't get your hair to relax right?

Angelicus

baglady215 said:
Yeah Anky, what do you use on your 6f hair? You're texture sounds like mine! Hehe... :lol:

LOL :lol: Well hopefully this dominican salon in my town can fix that. Yea, I found one...