Summer Bun Challenge

krissyhair

I am joining in @ the gold level.

Had a major setback and cut hair to shoulder length. I took a major step back with my hair and paying the consequences.
Regime:
No heat within the 3 months
Weekly conditioning with left over conditioner
Seal with loc method
1000g MSM

Hoping to gain 2 inches

Hello and welcome to the challenge :yep:. I will add your name to the first page. Happy bunning.

krissyhair

I guess I joined this challenge without realizing it because I have pretty much been wearing buns since June. It is just so hot that I can't stand for it to be down. If it's not too late I will start at entry level. I take my bun out every night and moisturize with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie or Hair Milk and African Royalle Braid Spray. I put my hair in two big braids until morning. In the morning I spritz with spray use aloe vera gel on my edges bun and set with a scarf.

Hey Alta Angel, it's never too late to join. You are like me, I have to redo my bun every day/night.

krissyhair

Hey bunnies.

I haven't put my hair in a bun once this whole holiday weekend since Thursday. It's okay though because I am still at entry level, I can slip every couple of weeks.

I did feel like my hair has grown since the start of this challenge though. I went swimming the other day and the hair was draping over my shoulders.

Willow00

Just checking in. I'm still bunning full time. I brought a mini flexi8 as a hair barrette to accent my side or top of my hair. Using a homemade bun donut (made out of torn, raggedy silk scarfs) and a few bobby pins to make my buns. Been rocking the high bun and top knot bun all June. Probably rocking these styles again all July as well.

RegaLady

Checkin in. Still bunning. I added bangs to spice it up. But the humidity was brutal. So I washed and dcd yesterday and now its all back up. Bored with bunning but what else is there to do, lol.

Rozlewis

Still bunning away here. Nothing fancy just my normal bun in different positions.

Last edited:

Rozlewis

Today's side bun. You can see the bun maker and the net a little but oh well. It worked for me today.

Happy bunning!

Attachments

• IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 80

Pennefeather

Rozlewis,

You have beautiful hair. You have the length and thickness that I want.

Just completed another full week of bunning. Haven't slipped once since I started in May. It's probably my imagination, but I think I see a little growth. Nonetheless, I'm staying on track through Labor Day at least. Works really well in this humidity.

Miss617

Always left of center
Oops, I meant to check in on Friday. Washed and flat ironed. I'm on day three of this bun, so I will probably redo it tomorrow.

Rozlewis

Rozlewis,

You have beautiful hair. You have the length and thickness that I want.

Just completed another full week of bunning. Haven't slipped once since I started in May. It's probably my imagination, but I think I see a little growth. Nonetheless, I'm staying on track through Labor Day at least. Works really well in this humidity.

Pennefeather

Thanks for the compliment!! I love bunning. It's so easy and fast and I think by leaving the hair alone it gets a chance to rest and grow. Keep up the good work.

prettybyrd

I washed and sealed my hair and I've been in French braids ever since. I'm going to work on getting it together for next week - but my hair looks and feels fabulous.

Naturelie

Hi @krissyhair!
Can I still join this challenge?
If so:

Level of participation: Platinum
Starting length: MBL after a trim
Goal length: Back to WL by december 2014 Bunning regimen: plan to keep a bun for a week and reinstall it after having done the LOC method
Why you want to join this thread: buns are great PS!!

krissyhair

Hi @krissyhair!
Can I still join this challenge?
If so:

Level of participation: Platinum
Starting length: MBL after a trim
Goal length: Back to WL by december 2014 Bunning regimen: plan to keep a bun for a week and reinstall it after having done the LOC method
Why you want to join this thread: buns are great PS!!

Yes, yes yes you can! Thank you for joining. I'll put you down for platinum. Do you think you can take it bunning every single day?.

P.S. I really want to be your length (MBL) by the end of the year. I hope I can make it. It seems like I always run into something.

krissyhair

I really need some advice. What do you think about skipping my next hair trim? I had my last trim in February, and I wasn't satisfied. It was very uneven, and I still had single strand knots and some split ends.

The trim before that I had in September was great. The shape was good and I could feel how great my ends were.

My plan is to get another trim at the end of July, but I'm really going for growth, and seeing how bad the last one was, I'm afraid to get another. Overall my problems are some single strand knots and a few splits, but they're not bad.

How highly do you ladies rate trimming to your regimen?

krissyc39

I really need some advice. What do you think about skipping my next hair trim? I had my last trim in February, and I wasn't satisfied. It was very uneven, and I still had single strand knots and some split ends.

The trim before that I had in September was great. The shape was good and I could feel how great my ends were.

My plan is to get another trim at the end of July, but I'm really going for growth, and seeing how bad the last one was, I'm afraid to get another. Overall my problems are some single strand knots and a few splits, but they're not bad.

How highly do you ladies rate trimming to your regimen?

I used to be obsessed with it because I've been trying to grow out a bob for YEARS but since my new hair cut I've just been focused on growing what I have longer. I don't know I'm getting to the point where I know I'm doing everything right and I'll be damned if I don't have some length to show for it lol.

I do think that gradual trims/S&D can be a really efficient way to learn how to treat your ends, especially if your hair is at that in between point where your protective styling choices would be limited with a trim. I usually do them after a protein and deep conditioning treatment cause I figure the ends that still stick up NEED to go.

Right now I'm not going to S&D until a month's time (3 months post cut) and so my focus is just to keep my hair and my ends as awesome as I possibly can :)

Naturelie

Thanks @krissyhair for having added me to the challenge!! Yes, I used to wear buns 7/7 days and had great retention. Lately, I've been wearing my hair out (twist and braids out) but I'm back to my previous go to style.

To answer your question, I think search and destroy is a great idea: it allows you to eliminate knots and split ends while you can still see growth!! (by the way...sorry for my bad english...)

krissyhair

Thanks @krissyhair for having added me to the challenge!! Yes, I used to wear buns 7/7 days and had great retention. Lately, I've been wearing my hair out (twist and braids out) but I'm back to my previous go to style.

To answer your question, I think search and destroy is a great idea: it allows you to eliminate knots and split ends while you can still see growth!! (by the way...sorry for my bad english...)

Your English is flawless.

Fhrizzball

I splurged on a couple flexible clips and they are as wonderful as people say. Hair ties kept catching hair no matter the type I use or how gentle so these are perfect. Now I just need to find a way to do a messy high bun with these and I will be good. The ones picture is the XL and large so they do run small.

View attachment 268257

So tempting to get more or even try the Flexi-oh as well.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140709_141518.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140709_141518.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 45

krissyc39

I splurged on a couple flexible clips and they are as wonderful as people say. Hair ties kept catching hair no matter the type I use or how gentle so these are perfect. Now I just need to find a way to do a messy high bun with these and I will be good. The ones picture is the XL and large so they do run small.

View attachment 268257

So tempting to get more or even try the Flexi-oh as well.

Pretty! Did you think I would be able to get that at any BSS?

caliscurls

Fhrizzball your French roll looks great! I have several flexi-8's and love them. Since I just big chopped though I can't use them to hold me buns any more. I'm not in this challenge :) just lurking since I wear a bun or twists in a bun 95% of the time.

Last edited:

Fhrizzball

Fhrizzball your French roll looks great! I have several flexi-8's and love them. Since I just big chopped though I can't use them to hold me buns any more. I'm not in this challenge :) just lurking since I wear a bun or twists in a bun 95% of the time.

They're so addicting. I'm already trying to work around my budget to get more. I was trying not to be a product junky this year but now I'm turning into a hair toy one. It works in my favor though as updos make me feel plain so anything that can dress it up will help me stick to protective styling.

Congrats on the bigchop though! Summer is the best season for it really.

Dilettante

Are you ladies redoing your buns everyday?

I've been wearing buns 5 days a week for the past month or so, but I always take them down at night and sleep in braids or something. I'm just now realizing how much manipulation this is (still better than my 24 hour wash and goes though).

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Are you ladies redoing your buns everyday?

I've been wearing buns 5 days a week for the past month or so, but I always take them down at night and sleep in braids or something. I'm just now realizing how much manipulation this is (still better than my 24 hour wash and goes though).

Dilettante I take my bun down everyday so I can change the position of it.
I put it up before work and take it down when I get home. I tie my silk or satin scarf around my edges and just leave my ends free or pile them on top of my head until I put my satin bonnet over it for bed.

Last edited:

Rozlewis

SlimPickinz

I do the same thing. I take it down daily to detangle, M&S, moisturize, seal and GHE. I have to stay on top of detangling or my hair will be ridiculous and on wash day it will take forever to detangle.