Sulfur????...I'm upset!!

janiebaby

Quick rant....I'm tired of seeing all of these oils, butters, creams, (insert here) with sulfur in them. Wait, MSM is sulfur right? Well that too!!! :wallbash:

I've been told that I am allergic to sulfur since I was a child who knows if that is true or not but I'm so upset that everything I see on this board has sulfur in it. :burning:

I mean wow!:burnup:

:cry4:Ok, I'm done.

Colliecole

Quick rant....I'm tired of seeing all of these oils, butters, creams, (insert here) with sulfur in them. Wait, MSM is sulfur right? Well that too!!! :wallbash:

I've been told that I am allergic to sulfur since I was a child who knows if that is true or not but I'm so upset that everything I see on this board has sulfur in it. :burning:

Why are you mad when you don't know if you're really allergic...Do you remember having an allergic reaction? What was the situation in which this "allergy" was discovered and by whom?

You don't want to miss out on a good thing. If I were you I'd see for myself that I'm allergic. I've grown out of a few allergies from my childhood :yep:

Traycee

Woo..Woo...It's ok .....:hug2:..You don't need sulfur to grow your hair anyways!!

janiebaby

Why are you mad when you don't know if you're really allergic...Do you remember having an allergic reaction? What was the situation in which this "allergy" was discovered and by whom?

You don't want to miss out on a good thing. If I were you I'd see for myself that I'm allergic. I've grown out of a few allergies from my childhood :yep:

My mother told me that I break out in hives from Bactrim (a medicine w/ sulfur in it).

I keep thinking that surely I must've dipped my finger in a jar of sulfur 8 grease before as a child but I don't remember:ohwell:

janiebaby

Woo..Woo...It's ok .....:hug2:..You don't need sulfur to grow your hair anyways!!

That's true. I didn't really want to use the stuff as a growth aid I just thought they would do me some justice but then when I get to reading the ingredients MSM is almost always listed these days. I just don't understand...

TCatt86

I'm allergic to it to. I took Bactrin and damn near died from it, so sulfur is a no-no. But you will be fine, you may not be able to use growth aid, but with proper care and tips from this board you will be able to retain the growth of your hair.

discodumpling

The type of sulphur in MSM naturally occurs in EVERY cell of the body.

We're just supplementing by taking these pills, powders, or topical growth aids. HTH

Katt73

You can always jump on the MN bandwagon... I'm allergic to "sulfa" antibiotics as well (Bactrim, etc).

justcurious

:newbie:

I know that there are allergy shots that you can take when you are allergic to some things. For example if you have asthma and are allergicto dust, pollen, etc.. that triggers asthma attacks you can take allergy shots which build up your immune system to the allergents. Allergic reactions are nothing but irrational reactions from your immune system to harmless things. The downside is that it takes a couple of years of the shots for your immune system to "get the picture" and you have to go like either once or twice a week.

You should look into it through your doctor. An allergist might be able to help.

Otherwise you could whip up a mixture of that "itchy" ;) cream and slap some on as growth aide.

growth2come

hey, dont fret....you are not missing much becos some of the concotions with sulfur smell so much it makes you self conscious about standing too close too people...anyway there is always the AAA challenge which you have the option to make your own pastes with the powders and natural oils to avoid the mineral oil....sulfur is not the only way to happy hair growing....dont worry too much....:yep: also just be glad the sulfur didnt damage your scalp or any thing silly due to the allergy....

*Happily Me*

My mother told me that I break out in hives from Bactrim (a medicine w/ sulfur in it).

I keep thinking that surely I must've dipped my finger in a jar of sulfur 8 grease before as a child but I don't remember:ohwell:

I'm allergic to Bactrim too, but the sulfur as in MSM is different. I'm not allergic to MSM

Moroni

If you have an allergy and you want to get rid of it, check out an allergy elimination practitioner. The allergy can be ELIMINATED so that you can eat, touch, drink....whatever you used to be allergic to, including sulfur.

Check out the practitioner nearest you at:

www.naet.com

HTH :grin:

janiebaby

Thanks ladies for all of your help and support...

Here's some info I found on MSMGuide.com

Q:I am allergic to sulfur. Can I take MSM?
A:Strictly speaking, the concept of a “sulfur allergy” is a misconception: sulfur is an element, the third most abundant mineral in the human body. It's not possible to be allergic to sulfur because it has no protein component. When people say they are "allergic to sulfur", what they really mean is that they are allergic or sensitive to certain sulfur-containing substances, most notably to sulfa antibiotics (sulfonamides) or to sulfites (preservatives used in wines and some foods), or to foods with a high sulfur content (broccoli or cauliflower).
Many individuals with allergies to sulfa drugs or to sulfites do not experience problems taking MSM, because apart from sulfur, MSM bears no relation to these substances. However, people who are allergic to one drug are more likely to be allergic to another, regardless of its chemical structure. So if you have a known allergy to sulfonamides or to sulfites, consult with your physician before taking MSM.

This is from glucosamine-arthritis.org:

What are the side effects, if any, of MSM?
DMSO, a similar substance to MSM can induce strong body odors but this does not happen with MSM due to its different chemical form. Some people have developed allergies to sulfa drugs, but remember, MSM is essentially a form of dietary sulfur, and not a drug. If you know you are allergic to sulfa drugs, you should note MSM’s organic sulfur form and to be on the safe side, be advised to avoid MSM. Normal, healthy individuals consume sulfur everyday with no problems so it is unlikely that MSM will cause any issues. You eat sulfur daily in many common foods, and is already present (in minute amounts) in our bodies, particularly our joints. Most people will experience little to no side effects with MSM.

This is from Prohealthsolutions.com:

Q - If I am allergic to sulfa drugs, will I be allergic to MSM?

A - Doctors usually answer this question with a YES. However, it is very rare to be allergic to nutritional sulfur. Most people allergic to sulfa drugs tolerate MSM very well. However, if you are concerned about the possible sensitivity to sulfur, start with a small amount of MSM and build up your intake slowly under the guidance of your health care practitioner. Taking 100 mcg of molybdenum along with MSM will also help you to metabolize MSM more effectively.

HTH

nichelle02

I grew up hearing my mother say that I was allergic to sulfa. So, I was hesitant when looking into taking MSM or trying any of the hair growth suggestions. After researching, I decided to go ahead and try them. I haven't suffered any reactions at all. I take MSM daily and occasionally use the growth aids.