For the MTG curious but scurred: MTG alternatives, + make your own (v. long):

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
In reading through the vast Shapley’s MTG posts I want to help allay some fears and provide some alternatives for those who are curious about the benefits but too scared to try an animal product.

I am not a MTG user or proponent. In fact, since the company has not been very forthcoming (perhaps for good reason i.e. protecting their profit and CYA) I think "we" need to STOP using the Shapley’s mess and stop making them rich(er). I just have strong feelings about customer service. They are getting way too much free marketing here and I don't see any sponsorship links. I digress..

For purposes of keeping this long post shorter we’ll assume you are aware and accept all the “hair growth” benefits of topical sulfur. There are numerous threads extolling the benefits so you can conduct a search.

So what’s really in MTG and why?
The ingredients have been posted elsewhere but..

The Sulfur part:

AKA precipitated sulfur or sublimed sulfur, brimstone, flowers of sulfur, or milk of sulfur. These are different names for pure elemental sulfur, natural and non-toxic. It is a relatively fine yellow powder, which is compounded with petroleum and emoluments such as liquid paraffin, lanolin, petroleum etc. The powder, undiluted, will burn your skin.

The oil part:

In order for Sulfur to be “safe” and useable it has to be used in a petroleum wetting agent. A very low grade and thus cheap liquid paraffin is what’s used in the MTG, however medicinal liquid paraffin is available should you choose to mix your own. Petroleum, Vaseline, castor oil are other common carriers.

How safe is safe it and why it is used…on humans?
Sulfur is used primarily to treat skin conditions including scabies in infants less than 2 months old, pregnant women, and nursing mothers.1 It generally is used when other medications (such as permethrin or lindane) cannot be used. It is also used to treat acne, fungus, etc.
If sulfur ointments as high as 10% are prescribed for infants I think it’s pretty safe to use topically.

Shapley’s MTG alternatives:

There are various OTC sulfur ointments available mainly for acne treatment containing between 3% -10% sulfur: (Shapley’s contains about 5%-8%.) Check ingredients carefully. Steer away from those containing Salicylic acid and large amounts of alcohol. The only active ingredient should be sulfur.

You can find this at Wal-Mart, CVS etc: Brand name 'De La Cruz Pomada De Azufre' Acne Medication, Sulfur Ointment 10%, 2.6 oz, $3.99. White plastic jar with orange label. Distributed by DLC Marketing Co., Paramount, CA 90723.
Ingredients: Specially processed microcrystalline sulfur 10% in an oil-free, water-washable base.

SULFUR OINTMENT. USP 10%
Found at germa-drugs.com
Use: Great for affections of the skin, fungus, spots, acne, ect.
Directions: Apply twice daily during the day for a total of 7 days.
Formula: Sulfur Precip. 10g., Petrolatum 90g.

You can ask your pharmacist for:
Sulphur Ointment (B.P.)
precipitated sulphur 10% in White Simple Ointment
Sulphur ointment 5% - dilute B.P. preparation with an equal part of soft paraffin

Some pharmacies will compound the sulfur ointment for you, see below.
From a skin care board:
"Some U.S. pharmacies do not carry sulfur ointment but will compose them for you on demand, I guess they have the powder or order it for you, and mix it with petroleum jelly. One poster said it takes them an hour to do this."

How to use the sulfur cream:
Patch test for 24 hours before you start the treatment. If your skin turns "lobster red" under the patch there is an allergy and the treatment should be reconsidered.
A hive-like rash under the patch would mean the same thing.
Allergic reaction to the sulfur is not very frequent and does not mean that sulfur is in any way toxic.
The sulfur may be itchy by itself which is normal.

You basically grease your scalp with the ointment.

Side Effects
Precipitated sulfur is considered very safe. It may dry the skin.

Overdose Symptoms:
Excessive application of topical sulfur may lead to more-severe irritation of the skin.

What to Do:
If topical sulfur is accidentally ingested, call your doctor, emergency medical services, or the nearest poison control center immediately.

Disease Interactions:
You should not use sulfur if you have had a prior allergic reaction to it.

Common Side effects:
Mild redness and peeling of skin.

Less Common:
Skin irritation or allergy with redness, peeling, burning, stinging, itching, or rash.
Contact your doctor.

To mix your own topical sulfur ointment:

This info is readily available but I struggle with posting it because some of us are too darn eager and start to mixin’ stuff like 787 essential oils and concoctions that it scares me since you DON’T want to be that experimental and eager with sulfur.

Be very careful to get 100% precipitated sulfur, also called sublimed sulfur, or brimstone, or flowers of sulfur, or milk of sulfur.

Again, the powder, undiluted, will burn your skin. In fact, it’s rather dangerous to make. During the mixing process it can easily get in your eyes and can be inhaled if you aren't careful. You will wish you were dead if this happens. There are lots of places where you can buy 100% pure sulfur and it is relatively cheap. This post is getting too dang long and I'm tired now so if anyone wants more info on making your own PM me.

I hope this is helpful for someone....

L

LaNecia

Brooke! :brainy: :notworthy: I've just added you to my friends list!! :lol:

Gurl, you have done an impressive amount of homework! Great looking out! Thanks a bunch for posting this, perhaps this will squash some of the wranglings about the use of the MTG.

Thanks also for posting the potential hazards too, sometimes, that part of the posts tend to be overlooked, or omitted altogether.

You did good!

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
WOW! Lots of info there. I bet someone will find a way to use it. I have yet to use the MTG I bought over a month ago.

hotshot

i have the flowers of sulphur pictured below. i dont trust mtg, liked msm but dont want to continue it, and i remember reading about back in the day someone grandma made sulphur oil. so i mixed sulphur with white castor oil and pure coconut oil (excellent for growth) and ive been using it for maybe a month, my bald spot (from stress) has filled in.

i think mtg and sulphur 8 add the other stinky, tinglystuff so you feel like its "working". when you hair tingles or smells from the other oils, you psychologically feel confirmation that the products is doing something. my concotion is doing something too, it just doesnt tingle or anything. i dont need cade oil or whatever to know that.

Diane71

Googly moogly...You gave me a headache with all that info and VERY, VERY interesting hair products. Time to do a search on google and whip out that plastic. lol

Summer challenge: Leave hair alone as much as possible...more protective
styles and less products.
http://public.fotki.com.Diane71/

TaTa19

Thanks Brooke, I remember that my girlfriend's mom told me to use the powder Sulfur mixed with vaseline when my little sister had the chicken pox and it really worked wonders with drying up the pox on her legs and she didn't lose any hair when I put the mixture on her scalp.

carmend

Wow! That was very informative and scientific. Just wha I like :) Thanks for the info and it anyone comes up w/a full process on how to make ur own please share. I dont have time right now to spend in the "lab" so Im gonna use the MTG until somebody comes up w/a good home made hookup :grin:

Thanks again for the research!

Mizani_Mrs

So hotshot (or brooke) are you saying that this pure sulfur mixed with oil does not stink like other sulfur products (sulfur8). I'm not a sulfur user because i dont like the smell, but maybe down the road i'd be interested in getting a pharmacist to mix it for me if it doesn't smell...

hotshot said:
i have the flowers of sulphur pictured below. i dont trust mtg, liked msm but dont want to continue it, and i remember reading about back in the day someone grandma made sulphur oil. so i mixed sulphur with white castor oil and pure coconut oil (excellent for growth) and ive been using it for maybe a month, my bald spot (from stress) has filled in.

i think mtg and sulphur 8 add the other stinky, tinglystuff so you feel like its "working". when you hair tingles or smells from the other oils, you psychologically feel confirmation that the products is doing something. my concotion is doing something too, it just doesnt tingle or anything. i dont need cade oil or whatever to know that.

Princess4real

Hey Brooke007, I just wanted to post this information here since I was scared to use the MTG. Thanks for giving us an MTG alternative.;)

Available at:
Quality Equine
Grooming Products
Since 1938!
1-800-982-2017
(941) 415-2275 Phone
(941) 415-2277 Fax
11615 Marshwood Ln.
Fort Myers, FL 33908
[email protected]
www.shapleys.com
The Customer Comes First...
Both Human and Equine!
Satisfaction Guaranteed!
Quality Grooming Products
t began in 1938 with a barber named
Henry E. Shapley in Waterloo, Iowa,
who formulated a product for dandruff
and psoriasis. An avid horse lover, he soon
discovered the same great results on his horses
as he did with his customers. This became
Shapley’s first product, known then and now
as Original M-T-G (Mane-Tail-Groom).
From these humble beginnings, Shapley’s
has grown into an organization providing an
extensive line of quality equine grooming
products, including our revolutionary Show
Touch Up. Passed down through the generations,
Shapley’s has now become a staple in
barns world wide!
Our philosophy at Shapley’s is the Customer
comes first...both human and equine!
In maintaining the tradition of innovation
driven by customer need, we encourage and
solicit all comments and suggestions.
A sincere thank you to
our customers who have
supported us throughout
the years, and an
enthusiastic welcome to
our new customers!
Cindy S. Carfore
President
I
Original M-T-G™
(Mane-Tail-Groom)
The ULTIMATE Mane & Tail Conditioner/
Skin Treatment/Hair Growth Producer.
A MUST FOR EVERY HORSE OWNER!
Shapley’s Original M-T-G has proven
results after just one application! Use as a
leave-in conditioner/detangler and for promoting
mane and tail hair growth. Use on damaged,
chewed-off tails to rapidly grow length.
Use on long tails to enhance fullness, condition
and retain length. Can produce tail
growth of over two inches a month! M-T-G
will also eliminate grass and urine stains.
Original M-T-G is also a dermatitis treatment
recommended by veterinarians for a
variety of skin problems including: fungus,
rain rot, girth itch, scratches, dandruff and tail
rubbing. It offers quick relief and visible hair
growth that can be seen in 3-5 days!
Original M-T-G’s never-been-duplicated,
versatile formula will be the best product
you’ll ever purchase! Available in 32 oz. and
6 oz. bottles.

rosie

Brooke007 said:
You can find this at Wal-Mart, CVS etc: Brand name 'De La Cruz Pomada De Azufre' Acne Medication, Sulfur Ointment 10%, 2.6 oz, $3.99. White plastic jar with orange label. Distributed by DLC Marketing Co., Paramount, CA 90723.
Ingredients: Specially processed microcrystalline sulfur 10% in an oil-free, water-washable base.

I have this at home for the occasional acne out break. It doesn't smell like the Glover's or MTG stuff does. I use it on my face and it works well on my acne.

HMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

hotshot

hmm, measurement. two and half teaspoons of powder and maybe three parts oil? maybe more. the whole thing fit it a larger vitamin e oil bottle.

and it doesnt smell. it just smells a little stale, but it doesnt linger.

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
Thanks for your comments it was my pleasure!

A source to buy sulfur powder is: http://sulfursoap.com/Sulfur-Powder.htm
$6 for 4oz.
Here are two recipes I found to make your own sulfur ointment/ (i.e. sulfur grease): I assume it’s safe to substitute a creamy moisturizer for the cold cream listed in the first recipe.

Sulfur Ointment
Any petrolatum base: Petroleum jelly (Vaseline), or mineral oil, or cold cream.

Here's how you can make your own cold cream base
(Basic Cold Cream
Ingredients
1/2 cup mineral oil
1 ounce beeswax
1/4 teaspoon borax
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon distilled water
essential oil scent, if desired
Instructions
Heat oil and wax in double boiler. Dissolve borax in water and boil. Add to wax in a thin stream, stirring vigorously in one direction. When mixed remove from heat and check temperature. At 140º, add scent. At 120º,
pour into jars.
Makes one cup of cream. )
How to mix the sulfur cream or ointment
The sulfur powder is very hygroscopic and will always be lumpy. Use the back of a spoon to work the powder through a very fine sieve. This can be done directly onto the petroleum/vaseline base. Add and mix little by little to avoid lumping.

"Make sure the sulfur is precipitated (which is also called'sublimed' or 'flowers of sulfur' and many other names). You can mix your own because it is really cheap that way, but be sure to mix it well with an electric mixer or in a blender. 10% of the sulfur powder and 90% cold cream or vaseline...Don't breathe in any of the sulfur powder. Use a face mask. If you have protective goggles this would be good too...Just in case the sulfur powder flies into the air by accident. It will burn the heck out of eyes, nose and mouth. Be careful. Also see that the powder does not get on your skin. And clean the blender really well afterward...Some people are allergic to sulfur ointment. It is very important to get the percentage right. An 8% mixture might not make a person react when a 10% mixture does make them react. Also, anything over 10% sulfur if mixed incorrectly can make almost anyone have an allergic reaction. It has to be made correctly."
If you use a blender, add the powder little by little - by the spoonful, take care to avoid dusting –

2nd Recipe. This was listed as an acne, psoriasis treatment:

Rx 11 Sulfur & Pervuvian Balsam Ointment
Formula:
Peruvian Balsam 12 g
Castor Oil 12 g
Sulfur Ointment 76 g
Dispense 30 g
Sig: Apply topically
Formula for Sulfur Ointment:
Precipitated Sulfur 10 g
Liquid Petrolatum 10 g
White Ointment 80 g
Formula for White Ointment
White wax 5 g
White Petrolatum 95 g
[In order to make Rx 11 you will need to make both white ointment and Sulfur Ointment first.]

rosie

rosie said:
I have this at home for the occasional acne out break. It doesn't smell like the Glover's or MTG stuff does. I use it on my face and it works well on my acne.

HMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

When I've used this in the past, it's been for acne. I use it on my face. Dries them up quite well. My feeling is that it would probably drying toeh scalp too wouldn't it.

But in reading up on it on the net, people use it to treat body mite infections and such. I believe that is where the above cold cream and ointment recipes come from. I guess this could be used as a scalp pre-treatment over night with some olive oil mixed with it.

One thing is for sure, your scalp would be mite free. :)

Who knew you could just use sulfur with out the smell

Now a question that may be completely off topic.

Is regular sulfur more potent than MSM or is MSM a concentrated form of sulfur?

Which give s you more bang for your buck?

angellazette

rosie said:
When I've used this in the past, it's been for acne. I use it on my face. Dries them up quite well. My feeling is that it would probably drying toeh scalp too wouldn't it.

Yeah that's what I would think.

angelbaby

It's nice to see that someone is using their head. I couldn't believe I was reading this board and discovering that people were using animal products for human use without knowing the exact ingredients all for the purpose of hair growth, without considering the other possible side effects. There is a reason that this concoction isn't marketed to humans.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
So does anyone use any of these alternatives????????????

Brooke007 said:
Shapley’s MTG alternatives:

There are various OTC sulfur ointments available mainly for acne treatment containing between 3% -10% sulfur: (Shapley’s contains about 5%-8%.) Check ingredients carefully. Steer away from those containing Salicylic acid and large amounts of alcohol. The only active ingredient should be sulfur.

SULFUR OINTMENT. USP 10%
Found at germa-drugs.com
Use: Great for affections of the skin, fungus, spots, acne, ect.
Directions: Apply twice daily during the day for a total of 7 days.
Formula: Sulfur Precip. 10g., Petrolatum 90g.

You can ask your pharmacist for:
Sulphur Ointment (B.P.)
precipitated sulphur 10% in White Simple Ointment
Sulphur ointment 5% - dilute B.P. preparation with an equal part of soft paraffin

Some pharmacies will compound the sulfur ointment for you, see below.
From a skin care board:
"Some U.S. pharmacies do not carry sulfur ointment but will compose them for you on demand, I guess they have the powder or order it for you, and mix it with petroleum jelly. One poster said it takes them an hour to do this."

How to use the sulfur cream:
Patch test for 24 hours before you start the treatment. If your skin turns "lobster red" under the patch there is an allergy and the treatment should be reconsidered.
A hive-like rash under the patch would mean the same thing.
Allergic reaction to the sulfur is not very frequent and does not mean that sulfur is in any way toxic.
The sulfur may be itchy by itself which is normal.

You basically grease your scalp with the ointment.

Side Effects
Precipitated sulfur is considered very safe. It may dry the skin.

Overdose Symptoms:
Excessive application of topical sulfur may lead to more-severe irritation of the skin.

What to Do:
If topical sulfur is accidentally ingested, call your doctor, emergency medical services, or the nearest poison control center immediately.

Disease Interactions:
You should not use sulfur if you have had a prior allergic reaction to it.

Common Side effects:
Mild redness and peeling of skin.

Less Common:
Skin irritation or allergy with redness, peeling, burning, stinging, itching, or rash.
Contact your doctor.

To mix your own topical sulfur ointment:

This info is readily available but I struggle with posting it because some of us are too darn eager and start to mixin’ stuff like 787 essential oils and concoctions that it scares me since you DON’T want to be that experimental and eager with sulfur.

Be very careful to get 100% precipitated sulfur, also called sublimed sulfur, or brimstone, or flowers of sulfur, or milk of sulfur.

Again, the powder, undiluted, will burn your skin. In fact, it’s rather dangerous to make. During the mixing process it can easily get in your eyes and can be inhaled if you aren't careful. You will wish you were dead if this happens. There are lots of places where you can buy 100% pure sulfur and it is relatively cheap. This post is getting too dang long and I'm tired now so if anyone wants more info on making your own PM me.

I hope this is helpful for someone....

LondonDiva

I have flowers of sulphur powder. When my MTG runs out I'll make my own alternative from the info I've gained on this thread.

'De La Cruz Pomada De Azufre' Acne Medication"

I have never seen this at Wal-Mart, or any drug store??? What isle are you guys normally locating these sulphur containing products.

Thanks
TK

Topazz

Mrs Christopher Tracy
Thanks for the info Brooke007. I made a mixture myself of msm sulfur powder and aloe vera oil that I am going to use over the next month. I will track my results and post before and after pictures. I hope it works!!

Check profile for album info!

Last edited:

toinette

Tricking the president
TransitioningK said:
'De La Cruz Pomada De Azufre' Acne Medication"

I have never seen this at Wal-Mart, or any drug store??? What isle are you guys normally locating these sulphur containing products.

Thanks
TK

i bought mine from dollar general.