For the MTG curious but scurred: MTG alternatives, + make your own (v. long):

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
TransitioningK said:
'De La Cruz Pomada De Azufre' Acne Medication"

I have never seen this at Wal-Mart, or any drug store??? What isle are you guys normally locating these sulphur containing products.

Thanks
TK

I've seen this at Osco here in Indy. I go to the hair care isle, and they have hispanic health and beauty items like the one you've mentioned. This is where I also bought my castor oil.

BC

Aerie17

Thanks for a fabulous post! Now that you mention it, when I went down south one summer to visit relatives while a little girl, I was eaten up with mosquito bites. I was apparently allergic to them, because the bites swelled up horribly and were red and extremely itchy. My legs were a complete mess. The remedy my mother used was sulfur powder mixed with some type of grease...I am pretty sure it was petroleum jelly (Vaseline). Then she would tie rags over the bites as a bandage. Not pretty, but I healed completely and it took care of the itching. Sulfur has long been known as a hair aid to stop the itchies. If this is also the active ingredient in MTG and is the source of the fast hair growth, it appears it is certainly safe; its been used on the skin for many, many years. I don't remember the mixture used on my legs as being particularly "stinky," although sulfur certainly has that reputation...sulfuric compounds stink. Wonder what is in the MTG and Sulfur 8 that makes them stink so? Perhaps one of the other ingredients combined with sulfur makes its smell more pronounced?

qtgirl

MTG also has cade oil in it which promotes growth as well, so for those mixing their own they might want to buy this essential oil.

angellazette

qtgirl said:
MTG also has cade oil in it which promotes growth as well, so for those mixing their own they might want to buy this essential oil.

Cade oil promotes growth? I've only come across cade oil as antiseptic and antifungal which is understandable as to why it would be in MTG. Oh I see, it's listed in some areas as helping scalp infections with hair loss.

"Cade: (Juniperus oxycedrus)
Some uses: treatment of dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, scalp infections with hair loss, herpes, blemishes, and chronic rhinitis. Cade oil has a darkish brown color and has a strange waxy smell that can be tarlike.."

"Cade (Juniperus Communis )
Cade Oil is generally used in the treatment of the cutaneous diseases. It is a ready solvent for chemical drugs and is used externally for chronic eczema as oil, ointment, and soap. "

Roots Herbal

"CADE JUNIPER. Juniperus oxycedrus. Very pungent smokey aroma. The essential oil is for EXTERNAL USE ONLY and it should always be diluted with a suitable carrier oil such as Sweet Almond Oil before applying to the skin. Keep it away from children and pets. It is non-toxic and non-irritant but with possible sensitization in some individuals. ABORTIFACIENT. Do not use if pregnant. Very effective with skin complaints, dermatitis, eczema, hemorrhoids, detoxifying, but smells a bit like smoked kippers. (Also known as Cade Oil, Juniper Tar, Medlar Tree, Prickly Cedar, Prickly Juniper.)"

The Magic Hands E-Book Guide to Essential and Natural Oils <---- very informative site by the way!

I don't think I'll purchase the cade oil, I already have enough! I currently use a combo of coconut oil, avocado butter, and WGO and I love the way it makes my hair feel. So I'm looking forward to mixing it with castor oil. I also have some wheat germ oil, aloe vera oil, and sweet almond oil but I don't even use these. I don't want to be a mixing fool, but they all have good qualities for scalp & hair! Maybe I'll just use the last three as a prepoo to get rid of them....

Ok I'm done rambling.

Honeyhips

Lovely
Brooke007 said:
You can find this at Wal-Mart, CVS etc: Brand name 'De La Cruz Pomada De Azufre' Acne Medication, Sulfur Ointment 10%, 2.6 oz, $3.99. White plastic jar with orange label. Distributed by DLC Marketing Co., Paramount, CA 90723.
Ingredients: Specially processed microcrystalline sulfur 10% in an oil-free, water-washable base.

Thank you! thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! I've been looking for a sulfur based product for acne ever since I ran out of my prescription.

ichephren

So is it safe to mix sulfur with any natural oil? I'd like to mix it into oilve oil, coconut oil, or sesame oil and wanna make sure it won't burn a hole in my scalp. Also, how do you know how much sulfur to add in? At what point is the amount of sulfur in a mixutre dangerous?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
There is a potential danger in mixing these products. Perhaps u should mix a small amount of sulfur powder to oils already mixed, like wgo or castor oil. I don't recommend it or condemn it. Just be careful no matter whay u decide to do. It's really best to let the professionals do the mixing. Ask a dermatoligist or a doctor to make sure. :phone:

karezone

this is so funny, my Grandma told me to do this when I first started trying to get long hair.

karezone

I am going to call some pharmacies or order an ointment from somewhere, I am afraid to mix anything but conditioner gumbo.

tryn2growmyhair

I am with you. The pharmacists that I went to do not mix sulfur compounds. They dont even know about this.

How is this alternative working for people? I do not want to have my hair smell funky just to try to grow it out.

angellazette

I'm still using mine. It works very well for sealing, leaves my hair very soft. I changed my recipe a little bit and I like it better this time around. I haven't noticed any 2"/month growth but overall I like the mixture and I will use up this sulfur powder and then maybe try MTG.

Last edited:

Suri

angelbaby said:
It's nice to see that someone is using their head. I couldn't believe I was reading this board and discovering that people were using animal products for human use without knowing the exact ingredients all for the purpose of hair growth, without considering the other possible side effects. There is a reason that this concoction isn't marketed to humans.

If you visit their webiste, I believe MTG was originally made for humans but horse owners discovered it worked on horses so they went with marketing it for horses for obvious reasons.