Suggestions for a good hair vitamin...

LoveLiLi

I've been taking Shen-min with good results, but I don't know if I'll finish my current bottle. I've re-purchased several times, but my skin has been breaking out since October and I've eliminated newer supplements, gone back to my tried and true sunscreen, got the hormones under control...and I'm still breaking out.

It was barely noticeable at first, but it's getting worse each month. It was one teeny tiny pimple, one more the next month and now I have two monsters and my entire face is peeling :sad:. My skin hates biotin and there is more than the suggested daily allowance of biotin in Shen-min - so I'm hoping that my skin will clear up once I stop taking it.

I still want to take a hair vitamin, but each one I see has a large dose of biotin :wallbash:

Are any of you taking a good hair vitamin that has no biotin :)rolleyes:) or at least a small amount of biotin?

I stopped taking: ALA, Biosil, MSM
I'm still taking: EPO, chlorella, spirulina, flaxseed oil and Primal Defense since I've taken these forever and my skin has always remained clear while taking them.

kjeneen

I really wish that I could answer that for you but I am loving what Shen Min is doing for me. However, I do have bouts with adult acne that I successfully fight off with EPO. I take one 1000mg per day and keep mostly clear skin!

Nonie

I remember when I joined the forum and jumped on the supplement bandwagon, there was suggestion that B5 vitamin could balance out biotin and reduce breakouts. Since I am a believer that multis try to balance things so that there isn't too much of one thing at the expense of another, I was always in favor of taking a hair multi and not buying the essentials separately. The problem with this is, most multis didn't have the "essentials" in high quantities and I felt like I would be lagging behind if I didn't find a multi that had high quantities of the important elements. Enter Great Hair (I think by Vitol) and not only did it have 3g biotin, but the B5 was also higher than other supps. So if Shen-min does not have Vitamin B5, then I would recommend Great Hair due to the high concentrations of the various essentials. But if Shen-min already has B5, then my suggestion doesn't help.

hillytmj

I've taken Nioxin hair vitamins off and on for several years, and I like them. I used them consistenly for one year, took one year off, and have been back on them for six months. I'm pleased with the additional growth that I think they provide.

Maxitonia

I would recommend Maxi hair by Country life, it clears your skin while it nourishes your hair, it has a ton of supplements you might not need to take a multi with it. I added 1000 mcg of MSM.

Platinum

:bump:

I've been using Ultra Hair Plus but I'm wondering if I should try another vitamin so purchase this again when I finish the bottle.

Nonie

:bump:

I've been using Ultra Hair Plus but I'm wondering if I should try another vitamin so purchase this again when I finish the bottle.

If it isn't hurting you in any way, why change? I tend to leave things well alone if they aren't doing me any harm.

mariofmagdal

In addition to making lifestyle changes, taking the following supplements every day can boost hair growth for many people:

Vitamin B-complex - 50 mg. of the major B-vitamins (including folate, biotin and inositol)
Vitamin B-6 - 50 mg. of vitamin B-6
Vitamin C with bioflavonoids - one to two grams daily
Vitamin E - 400 to 800 IU daily
Beta-Carotene - 10,000 to 15,000 IU of beta-carotene daily
One daily dose of magnesium, sulfur, zinc
Silica (horsetail) - 300 mg. daily
Nettle - 250 mg. three times daily
Flaxseed oil - one tbsp daily or one tablet
Beta-Carotene - 10,000 to 15,000 IU of beta-carotene daily

SelfStyled

I use the Hair Vitamins from Trader Joes, they are chocked full with goodnes(B6 and B12) and have 400mcg of Biotin, which I balance out with 2 tablets of Biotin 1000 mcg.

a 30 day supply is like $4 or 5 dollars.

ETA: These are Women's Formula Multivatimin that supports Nails, Hair and Skin.

Last edited:

mdj7215

I've been using Futurebiotics' Hair, Skin & Nail vitamins for years...they work. Whenever I stop taking them I notice the difference immediately. If taken faithfully, in about a months time you will see a difference...especially with your nails.