Style Experts? How do I get Rihanna's curls ?? (pic incl.)

RedVelvet310

Now don't stone me! :bricks: I'm not trying to die my hair platnium blonde and shave off the sides :grin:, but ever since I've seen Rihanna with her new "mop-do" I've really taken a liking to her curls. I am ready to RESEARCH! Cause I love how she effortlessly goes from straight to curly and wears the hair in water without it looking a hot HOT mess. Anyone have any idea how she achieves it? Texlex? Relaxer? Thio perm? Could it be her natural hair texture?? :perplexed I post some pics:

Note: I meant a curly perm... not sure what the nae for that is... not a thio perm :yep:

Last edited:

CaliDiamond

Looks like the result of some really good moisturizer and a few strategic light bumps of the flat/curling iron to me. It also looks like it could be pin curls that were left in for a few hours.

Amber_moon

I get this result when I do bantu knots or pin curls and douse it in coconut oil and moisturizer the night before.

RedVelvet310

Looks like the result of some really good moisturizer and a few strategic light bumps of the flat/curling iron to me. It also looks like it could be pin curls that were left in for a few hours.

I get this result when I do bantu knots or pin curls and douse it in coconut oil and moisturizer the night before.

:yep: I was thinking the same thing, except it looks so sleek. I can achieve the curls but at the same time I'll get the frizz along with it. I'm really thinking that some type of thio perm was used in this as well ... thoughts ??

ETA: btw I'm a 4a/3c natural

ETA (again): I don't mean thio perm.. but a curly perm, not sure what the technical name for that is

Last edited:

Amber_moon

:yep: I was thinking the same thing, except it looks so sleek. I can achieve the curls but at the same time I'll get the frizz along with it. I'm really thinking that some type of thio perm was used in this as well ... thoughts ??

ETA: btw I'm a 4a/3c natural

I dunno. looks like her hair was relaxed super straight before doing this. If you are worried about frizz and dont mind hitting your head with the flat iron before hand, I would fat iron the sections put in a good moisturizer and some oil (not too much because you dont want to be greasy) and then roll the sections up into bantu knots or pin curls.

RedVelvet310

I dunno. looks like her hair was relaxed super straight before doing this. If you are worried about frizz and dont mind hitting your head with the flat iron before hand, I would fat iron the sections put in a good moisturizer and some oil (not too much because you dont want to be greasy) and then roll the sections up into bantu knots or pin curls.

How large or small do you think the bantu knots would have to be? Do you think I could achieve this with rods? Or rollers?

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
when i was relaxed ( i think I was texalaxed but we didn't call it that in those days), I had the same hairstyle. I don't know why I relaxed because I never wore my hair straight. Anyhow, I washed and styled with a brush blowdryer curler thing. At the time, I used something called TCB curl activator. I have some pictures. I should try to scan them.

RedVelvet310

when i was relaxed ( i think I was texalaxed but we didn't call it that in those days), I had the same hairstyle. I don't know why I relaxed because I never wore my hair straight. Anyhow, I washed and styled with a brush blowdryer curler thing. At the time, I used something called TCB curl activator. I have some pictures. I should try to scan them.
:yep: Please do! I'm really liking this style.. it's something different and it looks really nice imo

Mdmommy99

A friend of mine achieved a similar look on my hair by double strand twisting into bantu knots and using coconut oil. They weren't small twists, probably medium sized. My hair is natural too, I blow dryed it first to get more of the sleek look that Rihanna has in these pics. It was very pretty, but it didn't look quite as sleek as her's does without relaxer. It also didn't hold up very long. It only looked like that for a day or two before it just kind of looked limp.