How do I do a Straw roller set?

mswoman

Hey everyone,
I am not from a location that has a lot of natural sista's. I'm from Kansas so, I was watching a Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_XgNmczEsk and she used "straw" rollers on the end of her hair. I went to sally's to look for them but they only had the perm rods but not the straw set. Where do I buy the straw set? or do they really mean cut straws? How do I keep them in? If anyone know's the steps for how to use the straws to get natural curls that woul be great.

Pandora1975

I have never done it, but yes, its real straws. I'd use end papers to get the ends tucked in, and a hair pin to fasten it.

tash85

^^ what she said. From what I've seen they use real straws. Looks very time consuming but ive seen some beautiful results at the end of it

Transformer

You can also use the small diameter long spiral??? rollers. The ones that are bendable. They come in sizes the same diameter as drinking straws and larger diameters. Since they are bendable-the ends can be bent up/down to secure the hair.

RoundEyedGirl504

You should go buy a box of drinking straws and cut to accomodate the length of you hair. Depending on how well you can roll I usually just use regular setting lotion (like Lottabody) but if you have a hard time getting your ends to stay on the straws I would use a creamy setting lotion (my friend likes Black and Sassy). I also don't use end papers, but again it depends on your skill at getting your ends to stay on the straw. It is VERY TIME CONSUMING, but I usually can get mine to last up to two weeks. Make sure they are completely dry before you remove the straws or you will get major frizz...I sit under the dryer usually, but I air dry if I just have time to waste. Hope that helps!

jerseygurl

Not a new member
You don't have to use end papers, I don't. My straws I got from any fast food place :) I would go to. I cut them in half. To get your ends on the straw, roll the ends in one position for about 3 or 4 turns before rolling the rest like a spiral up the length of the straw. Use a bobby pin to hold it.

Like other ladies said, it's very time consuming so I do it once in a while but it lasts as long as you want it to.

Kerryann

did at the salon with real straws it took forever and a day and when it came out i hated it so such because the curls had the balls to not drop shoots i felt like a sponge

yvette

So strange you posted this OP!! I called my stylist the other day and told her that I wanted a straw set because it had been a while.

My stylist gets a box of long straws, I believe from Sonic, if memory serves me correctly. She cuts them in half since they are so long. She uses bobby pins to secure the ends. It is very time consuming , if you don't have a system down pat. My stylist has her system down and it really does not take that long, in my opinion.

I really don't care for straw sets when fresh because the curls are so tight. I also don't like my styulist to finger comb them out too much because I want them to naturally drop because they just look better and last longer! Once I have had them about a week, I LOVE the way they look. I also like the fact that I never pin curl or do anything to them. I just put on my silk bonnet and that's it. I wake up the next morning with head full of curls.

loolalooh

You should go buy a box of drinking straws and cut to accomodate the length of you hair. Depending on how well you can roll I usually just use regular setting lotion (like Lottabody) but if you have a hard time getting your ends to stay on the straws I would use a creamy setting lotion (my friend likes Black and Sassy). I also don't use end papers, but again it depends on your skill at getting your ends to stay on the straw. It is VERY TIME CONSUMING, but I usually can get mine to last up to two weeks. Make sure they are completely dry before you remove the straws or you will get major frizz...I sit under the dryer usually, but I air dry if I just have time to waste. Hope that helps!

Agree! Oh, and I'm not sure if this was already mentioned, but use bobby pins to help the straws stay in place.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
did at the salon with real straws it took forever and a day and when it came out i hated it so such because the curls had the balls to not drop shoots i felt like a sponge

Depending on how much setting lotion was used or if she used gel, it may not drop. I only use water on mine and still it does not drop much. If you want it to drop, you might want to consider flexirods:yep:

Here is a set I did 2 years ago:

It was about a week old

mswoman

Thanks for the info, I'll try them on the ends of my daughters hair first and everyone know how it goes. I think it would take long but I want her natural ends smooth.

mswoman

Bobby pins wow!!! Thanks for the tips from everyone I will put them on my daughters hair at the end and post some pictures of how it turns out.

So strange you posted this OP!! I called my stylist the other day and told her that I wanted a straw set because it had been a while.

My stylist gets a box of long straws, I believe from Sonic, if memory serves me correctly. She cuts them in half since they are so long. She uses bobby pins to secure the ends. It is very time consuming , if you don't have a system down pat. My stylist has her system down and it really does not take that long, in my opinion.

I really don't care for straw sets when fresh because the curls are so tight. I also don't like my styulist to finger comb them out too much because I want them to naturally drop because they just look better and last longer! Once I have had them about a week, I LOVE the way they look. I also like the fact that I never pin curl or do anything to them. I just put on my silk bonnet and that's it. I wake up the next morning with head full of curls.

Sonic straws are thick.. I just remembered I have a box of straws from my daughters birthday party. I'll try it with them. The lady on you tube used shea butter and water.

The rollers are called strawllers. http://www.strawllers.com/ HTH

Thanks for the info, I’ll try drinking straws first to get the hang of it.

RoundEyedGirl504

Oh also if you want a "looser" look you will have to pull them apart (I usually do 2 or 3 sections), of course when you do that they might not last as long though. Good luck on your DD's hair!

ajoyfuljoy

straw sets take forever!!! I mean hours just to set it, unless you are really skilled at it. But it last for weeks. The older it is, the better. The curls are so tiny that it is hard to squish them. Good luck!

naturalmanenyc

This is great info!!! Strawllers look like a cool invention instead of having to "find" a box of drinking straws. lol

BlackMasterPiece

When I saw a video of them online and how smooth and neat they were:lick: I just had to do them and when i get it in my head i'm gonna do a style, I'm gonna find a way to do it lol. So I looked up strawllers online, saw the price and was like:nono: this is a recession. So marched myself over to three different fast food places and stocked up on actual straws.

It took FOREVER and a day. I think this style is more practical on hair that isn't almost mid-back like mine. I took each small section and the way I'd get the ends to stay is I would roll in the same place a couple of times then I'd begin to spread the hair out while rolling if you get what I'm saying and that way you get a nice tightness to each straw set. I'd fasten each straw with a bobby pin and move on. In the end I got this:

I loved it I did it twice people couldn't keep their hands outta my hair asking me omg how'd you do this? Every white girl at my job was like I wish I could do the things you do to your hair in mine:giggle: one of them even asked me you think I could do that with my hair? I was like ummm idk:lol:

If you have long hair my suggestion is get someone to help you lol it took EONS to do on my own. I don't even wanna THINK about what theyd've charged me to get this done @ a salon!:blush: I also think this is way, way, WAY too much manipulation for long type 4a/b hair. But I think its great for those with shorter hair:yep:

naturalmanenyc

That looks great!!!! I cannot imagine doing it on my own with all of that hair:nono:

How long did it take from start to finish? How many straws did it take?

Where did you get the straws? I have read that McDonald's straws work best due to the size and strength?

I found a place on-line in Brooklyn that will do a straw set for $60 but it turned out to be in not so great of a neighborhood and DH asked me to not have my hair done there.

When I saw a video of them online and how smooth and neat they were:lick: I just had to do them and when i get it in my head i'm gonna do a style, I'm gonna find a way to do it lol. So I looked up strawllers online, saw the price and was like:nono: this is a recession. So marched myself over to three different fast food places and stocked up on actual straws.

It took FOREVER and a day. I think this style is more practical on hair that isn't almost mid-back like mine. I took each small section and the way I'd get the ends to stay is I would roll in the same place a couple of times then I'd begin to spread the hair out while rolling if you get what I'm saying and that way you get a nice tightness to each straw set. I'd fasten each straw with a bobby pin and move on. In the end I got this:

I loved it I did it twice people couldn't keep their hands outta my hair asking me omg how'd you do this? Every white girl at my job was like I wish I could do the things you do to your hair in mine:giggle: one of them even asked me you think I could do that with my hair? I was like ummm idk:lol:

If you have long hair my suggestion is get someone to help you lol it took EONS to do on my own. I don't even wanna THINK about what theyd've charged me to get this done @ a salon!:blush: I also think this is way, way, WAY too much manipulation for long type 4a/b hair. But I think its great for those with shorter hair:yep:

BlackMasterPiece

That looks great!!!! I cannot imagine doing it on my own with all of that hair:nono:
mm mm mmm it was a doozy lemme tell ya it took me all day and all night, I pride myself on being a DIYer but with this style if your hair is long you need HELP!! I suggest going the free way and asking a family member or close friend:yep:

How long did it take from start to finish? How many straws did it take?
I don't have an exact # for you but too long!! lol but again if your hair is shorter, it won't be this bad for you :)

Where did you get the straws? I have read that McDonald's straws work best due to the size and strength?
I got straws from mcdonalds, dunkin donuts (they have extra long straws for shakes that I really needed due to my length) and the costco cafeteria (can you tell I was determined?:lachen:) they were all good:yep: it all depends on the width you want your curls I thought the dunkin donuts and mickey d's was the best.

I found a place on-line in Brooklyn that will do a straw set for $60 but it turned out to be in not so great of a neighborhood and DH asked me to not have my hair done there.
Well if it's a sketchy neighborhood I could understand why. I think if your hair is like apl and shorter it wont be as bad for you as it was for me lol