How do I get the curls back?

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Okay..I went to this Egyptian salon a couple of weeks ago.. when she curled my hair, she used this really really hot old fashioned looking curling iron thing that was smoky hot.. I think I saw on here that it was called a stove or something like that.. I had never seen it before now.. but it was REALLY hot.. my hair got super straight but, DAMN it was hot! Anyway, I've noticed over the last few days that there is a section of my hair on the left side and behind the ear on the left side that is completely straight now.. it won't curl back up at all.. I'm transitioning so that hair was curly before and now it's not.. does that mean its changed permanently..until new growth comes in and that has to be cut out?? /images/graemlins/angry2.gif

Has this ever happened to anyone else??

Bunny77

Yeah, this happened to me once. The hair eventually curled back up, but it was about 2-3 months in which I had a weird kinda non-curl thing happening.

Before you do any cutting, just give it some nice deep conditioning and maybe the occassional protein conditioner and see if TLC brings your curls back!

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
2 or 2 months..WOW.. It's the weirdest thing.. it's like those areas are totally relaxed.. I'll try a deep condition this weekend and add some protein.. hopefully they come back so I don't have to cut it..it's kinda alot of hair..

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
[ QUOTE ]
i have a section like that and it is going on 3mo

[/ QUOTE ]

UGH! I did not want to hear that!

So, does that mean that the bonds or something broke down in the hair and that's why it won't curl anymore? There's a chance that it won't go back to curly at all right?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

This sucks! How come they use those curling irons that are so hot and not just a flat iron? Do all of the Egyptian salons use that type of curling iron that they used on me?? Do the Dominican ones??

Nonpareil

An associate of mine with naturally curly 3b/c hair had this problem after going and getting her hair pressed for months. I told her to use some Suave Humectant conditioner with a plastic cap for a few hours (can use mild heat) - this always seems to work.

Ayeshia

this is why Im never ever getting my hair pressed again. /images/graemlins/nono.gif My hair was like this a few years back when I used to get it done every two weeks. I never noticed until now because my hair had no curl pattern...whereas now i have curls everywhere on my head.

Carefree

That's why I prefer to straighten my own hair. There's still a risk but I feel better knowing that I'm the one monitoring the amount of heat used. Sometimes I would like to go to salon to get my hair pressed (you know how sometimes you just want someone else to do your hair) but the potential damage is not worth it.

Healthb4Length

Yeah it's happened to me too. Now whenever I decide to get my hair straightened I request that they use a iron that's electric rather than the one you mention, the kind that goes in a stove type contraption. These old fashioned irons really do get your hair very straight but they cause a lot of damage if the stylist is not experienced with it. I don't like them because you can't gauge the temp of that kind of iron that's why I like the electric ones because at least you can set it to whatever temp you want. Those old fashioned irons don't give you that option and I think that you are not supposed to use anything higher than 350 degrees of heat on the hair and those stove irons are much higher than that it degrees.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Thanks for all the responses! How long should I wait to see if the curls come back before I just cut that hair off? Or should I just not cut it and let it be until I chop off my relaxed ends?

Thanks!

buffalosoldier

That sounds like a nightmare rushgirl !!! You've got me scared cos im about to get a ceramic flat iron that gets up to 450 degrees.

Why dont you try going back to the salon and asking them for some advice esp as they bloody did it? maybe you will get a free deep condish/protein treatment or something...

btw is that duran duran in your avatar? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
I have a flat iron that goes up to 450 degrees..a FHI.. but I've never put it that high.. My hair is pretty fine so I don't think I'd ever put it up that high.

That's a good idea about going back there..but it's far from my house.. about 45 minutes to an hour away.. I would go back there to have her do my hair again.. she did do a really good job otherwise...that's just something that I guess just happened and I'm sure she didn't mean for it to happen.. sh*t happens I guess..lol /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

That's the greatest band that ever was and ever will be in my avatar..RUSH.. hence the RushGirl..lol Although, I do like Duran Duran too!

Are you from England or something? Asking because you said, "bloody".. I love that term.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif