How can I get my curls to stay? (PIC)

NYCQT16

Natural Again
Below is a pic of my hair when wet with conditioner

How can I get this kind of curl/hang down action without the conditioner for a wash and go look? When I wet it and put gel in, it does hang with curls but by the time it dries it's puffed back out again :wallbash:

Any tips?

Also, do you guys think the Miss Jessie's products or Kinky Curly products can achieve this as a wash and go?

loulou82

Very pretty. My hair looks similar but I'm still transitioning so I can't help ya too much. But have you tried a leave in conditioner followed by raking and smoothing IC Gel or a jojoba oil/ aloe vera gel combo and then not disturbing the curl until it dries?

Nonie

I have a friend who swears by S-Curl Gel in the silver and blue jar. She puts huge globs of it when she does a WNG, in addition to whatever other product she uses for her WNGs, and I believe its weight gives her the stretch you seek.

NYCQT16

Natural Again
Very pretty. My hair looks similar but I'm still transitioning so I can't help ya too much. But have you tried a leave in conditioner followed by raking and smoothing IC Gel or a jojoba oil/ aloe vera gel combo and then not disturbing the curl until it dries?

Thanks :) Your hair is pretty as well :) I have tried putting the gel in...I have not tried that combo so that is something I will have to try.

NYCQT16

Natural Again
I have a friend who swears by S-Curl Gel in the silver and blue jar. She puts huge globs of it when she does a WNG, in addition to whatever other product she uses for her WNGs, and I believe its weight gives her the stretch you seek.

I've seen that gel but have been scared of it as a natural because the S-Curl moisturizer used to work so well on my hair when I was transitioning,. but since going natural it does nothing! Maybe I can find a small sample size of that S-Curl gel so I won't waste a whole jar if it doesn't work

SEMO

After applying your styling product you could gently hold on to the ends of your hair with one hand (holding your hair in a downward position) while you use a diffuser to dry your hair some with the other hand. Holding your hair while drying could encourage it to stretch out and dry in that hanging down position.

Leeda.the.Paladin

what works best for me is to either leave in the conditioner and just squeeze it out. I also like to use a leave in conditioner, use a lot of it, and then top it off with KCCC or Fantasia IC gel w/sparkalites. It does take a long time to dry though. Also, I don't comb it, I either finger comb it or just smooth the product in and then shake it and smooth once more. Combing makes my curls go away. I only comb if I want a fro.

Seeking8Rights

Have you tried Kinky Curly? A friend of mine swears by the stuff. For me though, Miss Jessie's holds my curls fine - for days.

donewit-it

I know others have suggested leaving in the conditioner. But I have found that of the VO5's Moisture Milk conditioners, the purple freesia works better than the Strawberries and cream for me. The strawberries n cream leave me with nice curls but stiff. The Freesia leaves me with nice curls with no stiffness.

I don't know why but it is a little fact that I've stumbled across. I don't add anything else. I do however, spritz at the end of the day just for the heck of it with my glycerin, aloe vera juice and distilled water mixture.

bermudabeauty

I'm not a natural head but I have read a lot of threads about a product called mixed chics. I guess it is supposed to provent hair from shrinking as much, feeling greasy and look dull when dry. Hope this helps.

vkb247

I know others have suggested leaving in the conditioner. But I have found that of the VO5's Moisture Milk conditioners, the purple freesia works better than the Strawberries and cream for me. The strawberries n cream leave me with nice curls but stiff. The Freesia leaves me with nice curls with no stiffness.

I don't know why but it is a little fact that I've stumbled across. I don't add anything else. I do however, spritz at the end of the day just for the heck of it with my glycerin, aloe vera juice and distilled water mixture.

The freesia VO5 doesn't have any cones in it -- I know this is why it doesn't leave my hair stiff. I don't know abou the Strawberries and cream but I avoid all conditioners with cones because they feel great when wet and crunchy when dry.

I don't know what tell tell you about hanging hair. The diffuser might work or you might just have to wait till your hair is longer and has more weight to hang. This is the reason why I telax -- I love my curls but I want to 1) show more length and 2) I want my curls to hang without a whole lot of trouble.

Eclass215

My hair is the exact same way and I know what you mean. I'm going to the store today to get some new hair products, so if I get something good and it works I'll let you know!

NYCQT16

Natural Again
Thanks so much ladies for all of your responses!! I am gonna try these things and if any work well for me I will post pics

I have used mousse and I end up with crunchy curls...LOL

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
IA. I think that if you put a huge amount of any heavy product it will help weigh it down a little. It's still gonna shrink some though. I don't like to do this because it makes my hair take too long to dry.

Fantasia IC is a heavy gel that may help you to do this.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Thanks so much ladies for all of your responses!! I am gonna try these things and if any work well for me I will post pics

I have used mousse and I end up with crunchy curls...LOL

Mousse is definitly a no-no for me. It leaves my hair very dry and crunchy.

anon123

My hair looks a lot like yours, which is to say very small curls and bends and mostly undefined even with conditioner. This will be an interesting thread to watch especially just to know if someone with that hair type has done it. You might look to Lauren(450?) or even Nonie who managed a few teeny curls too (they were really cute).

Someone wanted to know, I don't think the V05 Strawberries and Cream has cones. I have several V05 conditioners, incl that one, and I don't think any of them do.

Donwitit, love your twists!