Start with a braid, end with a twist

SparklingFlame

Has anybody ever began a twist with a braids, then made a twist (on natural hair with no extensions)? I thought I might try it. I just washed my braids without my stocking cap and I really ruffed those braids up and they still look good! Especially at the root. Its not fuzzy there hardly at all. I was wondering if twists begun as a braid would hold up as well. Anybody ever try it?

P

patient1

My daughter is still rocking a set started this way. I do my own twists like this when my hair is a bit longer as well. It prevents puffy roots and anchors the twists.

When you want "precision" parts, this is the way to go.

~p1

SparklingFlame

patient1 said:
My daughter is still rocking a set started this way. I do my own twists like this when my hair is a bit longer as well. It prevents puffy roots and anchors the twists.

When you want "precision" parts, this is the way to go.

~p1
How long has she been rockin it? BTW, thanks for responding.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
naturallady said:
Has anybody ever began a twist with a braids, then made a twist (on natural hair with no extensions)? I thought I might try it. I just washed my braids without my stocking cap and I really ruffed those braids up and they still look good! Especially at the root. Its not fuzzy there hardly at all. I was wondering if twists begun as a braid would hold up as well. Anybody ever try it?

Hmmm I'll have to try that....never thought of doing my twists that way.

Brownshugaz

Yes I did my last set like that. They lasted a little over two weeks. They still looked good I was just aching to wash my hair.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
When my daughter was natural I used to do here twists like that. It made them last longer; about a month as a matter of fact!

SparklingFlame

dontspeakdefeat said:
When my daughter was natural I used to do here twists like that. It made them last longer; about a month as a matter of fact!
How did you maintain the twists themselves so they dont frizz up so badly?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
naturallady said:
How did you maintain the twists themselves so they dont frizz up so badly?
When I initially did the twist I believe I used to apply homemade pudding to them and when they dried they dried frizz free and just stayed that way. I would reapply a little of the pudding when her hair needed a little moisture. I would just make sure to put a bonnet on at night so they wouldn't flatten.

I don't remember well but I think I made the pudding from bees wax, cocoa butter and curl activator from a tub.

ETA: I started with wet hair.

SparklingFlame

dontspeakdefeat said:
When I initially did the twist I believe I used to apply homemade pudding to them and when they dried they dried frizz free and just stayed that way. I would reapply a little of the pudding when her hair needed a little moisture. I would just make sure to put a bonnet on at night so they wouldn't flatten.

I don't remember well but I think I made the pudding from bees wax, cocoa butter and curl activator from a tub.

ETA: I started with wet hair.
OK. Thanks so much for the info DSD!

beyondcute

Yeah thats how I do minse. Especially when I get kinky teist extensions. It helps anchor the hair and prevent it from slipping.

jasmine26

i found if i start twisting with my fingers really close to my scalp my twists do not unravel or poof up at the roots. i did try braiding first than twisting, it's good, but that extra step of braiding first is too time consuming for me. it's all about simplicity for me and i love just grabbing and twisting! i hope that makes sense:)

P

patient1

Your hair is beautiful in your avatar Jasmine.

My daughter's twists have lasted two weeks plus. Like another poster, I used a good homemade pudding that gave her hair great sheen and hold. I think we could have gone another week at least if she hadn't forgotten her bonnet for a few nights. Plus she is a WILD sleeper!! I might do another cw and see if we can't touch em up rather than start over. The parts are still perfect.

p1

balisi

I've done mine this way, but I didn't care for how "scalpy" it looked and it made my twists look way too flat. I don't have a problem with my twists looking puffy, though.

Super_Hero_Girl

I've heard of ladies on Nappturality.com doing this to prevent puffy roots and to keep their twists from unravelling. I've never had this problem, so I haven't tried it yet. But I can see how it would be helpful to others.

Cheleigh

I'm trying my first set of twists this weekend, so I'll try both methods on a section of hair and see how they compare.

P

patient1

I agree...it can look scalpy if braided too tight or too far down. I think the trick is to braid very little and lighthandedly before twisting. I like them both ways on myself but prefer braided roots on my youngun. They just seem to last longer and lay nicer when I use this method. I'm gonna try Jazmin's
method next time. Everyone's hair texture/length is so different I'm sure we all have our specialized methods. LOL.

I'll post some pics of my dd's twists if I can tomorrow.

~p1

facets

i've done this, but unless i used gel, the twists would be too puffy(in comparison to the roots) midway.

come to think of it, I was quite scalpy too.:lol:

SparklingFlame

I did some last night and I am pleased with how they came out. I cant tell if it took any more time becasue I had to take out all those braids and that took a long time! I didnt realize it would take so long to remove them. I removed and twisted as I went along. I posted some pics in my album.

S-A

I have tried this method too and it really does work if you dont like the puffy roots, my main problem isnt puffy roots though...its the way my 3 day old twists always look like they are 3 weeks old:ohwell: ...ah well :p

Oh and by the way naturallady, nice twists :)

SparklingFlame

S-A said:
I have tried this method too and it really does work if you dont like the puffy roots, my main problem isnt puffy roots though...its the way my 3 day old twists always look like they are 3 weeks old:ohwell: ...ah well :p

Oh and by the way naturallady, nice twists :)
Thanks S-A!